Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know what I say, Alpha has to have FlightLine brings us an awesome fully decked out with scale gear one at this size. ;)

OK.........more drum beatin.............:ov10............:ov10......... ....:ov10 :Smug::)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
      You know what I say, Alpha has to have FlightLine brings us an awesome fully decked out with scale gear one at this size. ;)

OK.........more drum beatin.............:ov10............:ov10......... ....:ov10 :Smug::)
      I grow weary of waiting sometimes, and take matters into my own hands...LOL...this is my second 100% scratch built Bronco. The first one had a 48" wing, and was built in 2008. I flew it for about three years before a mechanical malfunction (wink wink, nod nod) did her in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	First OV-10.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	90668

Comment

Klover0, that is AWESOME! I too have always loved the Bronco! I can't wait to see a video if it in action. Looks like you have done a good job on the build and was wondering where did you find the blue prints for it?
        Still Learning:D

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Exactly,you tell it hero!

Comment

OK Jetman.........I am going to eWeek @ TripleTree to join up with the Tired Iron Squawk Squadron so I expect to see you there with this beast :)
            Pauly..........I'll never stop tellin ;)
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

very nice looking hope it flies away coming north to me LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                Klover0, that is AWESOME! I too have always loved the Bronco! I can't wait to see a video if it in action. Looks like you have done a good job on the build and was wondering where did you find the blue prints for it?
                I drew them from a 3 view decal drawing that was in the instruction manual for my Testors 1/48th scale model. I put the sheet in my projector, and blew it up until it was a 63" wingspan, same as the P-38 (rest her soul) was. This is much more massive than the P-38 was though!! I had planned to maiden it last weekend, but there was no one at the field to video the event. I knew all of you guys, and the guys in CS at Motion, would have kicked my butt if I flew it without taping the flight, so, I left it in the truck!! Hopefully this weekend, but I am seeing a lot of rain in the extended forecast!!!

Comment

That's cool Kloverzero, we all here can't wait for video!

Comment

Definitely gots my attention! :Cool:

Comment

This weekend is not looking good....unless you are of the aquatic nature. Forecast is calling for rain all week, and all weekend, and into next week as well.....sigh.....

Comment

okay so when does flightline build some, and put em up forsale? tough metal gear and flaps please. will compete with the beaver if 2000mm

Comment

btw can we have the plans( pdf) what foam did you use? power system?

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelJ View Post
                            btw can we have the plans( pdf) what foam did you use? power system?
                            Once I get the maiden done, and see if anything needs to be changed, and make sure it is strong enough, I will make the full size plans available.
                            It is constructed from 3/16 fanfold insulation board, 1/2 insulation foam board (both available from Lowes), and bulk 1 lb foam from the local stucco shop, and all of the electronics are out of the FlightLine P-38L Lightning.

Comment

I wonder how the front retract from the Yak and the rear retracts from the freewing A10 would work for this plane?

Comment

IT HAS SUCCESSFULLY FLOWN!!!!!

I apologize for the angle the footage was shot at, I never even noticed the cameraman had my my phone vertical.

Flight was done with two (2) Admiral Pro 5000mAh 4S batteries on a battery board mounted under the leading edge of the wing. Balance felt pretty good, but I did have to put a lot of up trim in it. This could be an incidence issue, or maybe I just had the elevator set low. At any rate, once I got the elevator trimmed, she was really smooth and didn't ever show any signs of being pitchy at all.

Enjoy the video, I am going to get to work making the cowls and painting her now!!!

PS: As promised, I will also get to work getting the plans condensed to two sheets so that those who want to try their hand at it can do so!!

Comment

Great maiden flight Kloverzero! The p-38 power system appears perfect, even with the draggier Bronco airframe! With you using 2x5000mah 4s, how does the all up weight compare to the P-38? :Cool::Drooling:

Comment

Originally posted by Boots Whirlygig View Post
                                    Great maiden flight Kloverzero! The p-38 power system appears perfect, even with the draggier Bronco airframe! With you using 2x5000mah 4s, how does the all up weight compare to the P-38? :Cool::Drooling:
                                    I flew the P-38 on two 4S 3000's which put her all up weight at just under 10 lbs. The Bronco, on the 4S 5000's came in at just over 8 lbs (and is significantly larger), but I built her to be light.

There is very little wood in the structure, Firewalls[3/16" plywood], dowel plates[balsa], screw plates[balsa in the wing, 3/16" ply in the fuse and booms], retract mounts[3/16" ply] and spruce spars in the wing. 80% of the plane is 3/16" foam board. Just holding it, it feels rather floaty, especially given it's size.

I didn't really do much with it on that flight (I just wanted to see it in the air and go home triumphant) but next weekend, I am gonna give her a real go. Find her stall point, glide habits, vertical, and some aerobatics as well. I think she will be a real stunner once I get the cowls done, and get her painted. I am going to slim down the winglets as well, they look a little fat to me, which will also cut the drag coefficient. The only other thing I am going to do is beef up the fin to fuselage mounting. It is just foam to foam epoxy right now, I am going to put a dowel through the fin, into the foam block in the rear of the booms.

All in all, I think I may have winner here. Perfect size, very scale lines (it was drawn from scale drawings, with NO deviation), good power, and great (so far) handling.

Comment

WHAT PAINT SCHEME WOULD YOU GUYS LIKE TO SEE?

Comment

Here is my (unfinished) plastic model...

Name:	20170813_162233.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	92449

Comment

Name:	AIR_OV-10_USAF_3-4_view_lg.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	222.7 KB
ID:	92451

Comment