Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63" OV-10A Bronco

My latest project

I started this two weeks ago tonight(July 14, 2017). Construction is 3/16 fanfold and 1/2 inch insulation board, along with bulk 1 pound styrofoam from the stucco supply shop. (They give it away, as much as you can haul) All of the electronics are from my 63" (deceased) FlightLine P-38. Construction is using 100% 5 minute epoxy. I took the 3 view drawing from the 1/48th scale model and blew it up on my projector, filled in the necessary bits and bobs, and the result is what you see in the photos. She is at about 80% completion at the moment. I have a ton more construction photos, but I can only upload from my phone at the moment, so this is just the main shots!!

Comment

DUDE.....................

You're my hero and my first Squawk subscribe
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
        DUDE.....................

You're my hero and my first Squawk subscribe
        THANKS!!!!
        I was kinda hoping you would be the first one to see this!!!

Once I get her finished and maidened, unless there is anything that needs to be tweaked, I will have the plans available. I will send them out as full size drawings, for just postage cost.

Comment

SWEET..........can't wait to get my hands on those 1/7.6 scale plans. :Cool:
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Michael, I knew you would rock Charlie's world with this. LOL

Comment

that is very nice can not wait to see this fly. Now your not going to add fiber glass right and turn it into a brick like a (bat) plane you did!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bradl4648 View Post
                that is very nice can not wait to see this fly. Now your not going to add fiber glass right and turn it into a brick like a (bat) plane you did!!!
                I am going to make the cowls out of fiberglass, but that will be the only place that it is on the model!!!

I guess I am never going to live that little mistake down, am I??:Drooling:

Comment

If this all turns out to be good we'll let you off the other little incident with the BAT plane, Mike.

Martin

Comment

COOL!!! Can't wait to follow along. :Cool:

Comment

Cool Michael l can't wait to see it also.ill be one of the first for the plans. Where are we with the Enterprise Captain.LOL:Cool:
                      Dewey l

Comment

Originally posted by Dewey H Lee View Post
                        Cool Michael l can't wait to see it also.ill be one of the first for the plans. Where are we with the Enterprise Captain.LOL:Cool:
                        After considerable research, I do not believe the Enterprise will be viable in the format I want to do it in (EDF). The weight aft will be very considerable, and I doubt it will balance without making it too heavy to fly. I do plan to continue the building (at some point) and use the structure as a test bed for a future version (maybe) that may be a pusher mounted in the saucer. For now, the Klingons have claimed victory, and Kirk has hung his head in defeat.

Beam us to the surface Scotty. We have a Bronco to build (bust)

Comment

Love it! Always liked the OV 10. Looks like it's coming along nicely!

Jim

Comment

So, here is an update on the Bronco. I had a hell of a time with the landing gear. The nose gear strut for the P-38, even pushed over an inch deep in the nose, put the mains at over 9 inches long. At that length, there is too much play in the gear, and it would never track right. The only gear I had on hand that were of the proper length and pin size (without re-doing the retract plate) were from my old A-6. Far from scale, but hey, this is a prototype, and I just want to got it in the air and see what it will do!!!

So, with the gear issue resolved, as you can see, construction is almost complete. All that is left now is to mount the nose gear steering servo, put a sheet of foam over the gear wells and cut out for the struts to pass through, and a few magnets for the canopy!! The maiden should happen this weekend if the weather holds out!!! Getting excited now!!

I also till have to make the cowlings, but I think that can wait until after the maiden as well!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	90476

Comment

Make me one...or two ;)
                              TiredIron Aviation
                              Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

so how heavy is this bird at this point?

Comment

Originally posted by bradl4648 View Post
                                  so how heavy is this bird at this point?
                                  As she sits in the above photo, she is at a lean 5 lbs 7 oz. That will put the flying weight at just under 9 pounds with two Admiral PRO 4S 5000's. I could go with the standard 3000's I was flying the P-38 on, and bring it down almost a full pound though. For how incedibly large the plane is, I think that is a vrey healthy weight though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bronco II.jpg
Views:	956
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	90493
                                  Attached Files

Comment

NICE Micheal. Hope the maiden goes well. Video please. We'll be watching.
                                    Dewey l

Comment

That looks amazing! What a beautiful scratch-build. :Cool:

Comment

Big and beautiful! I'll bet it flies beautiful too. I understand the Bronco is very forgiving on the CG, possibly because of the long tail moment and huge horizontal stab. What say you CB?

Comment

Working...
                                        X