You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alpha's Favorite: Bancroft 1/200 scale Battleship Missouri -RTR (Ready to Run)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OSMD, Welcome to "The Squawk", Sir. Glad to have you on-board. Carry on. Best, LB
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thank you and glad to be here, I'm really enjoying this forum, pics/videos/comments a joy to watch/read and learn from at the same time.
      Agree 1/150 scale Missouri would be my pic, yes the bigger the better....model is scaled, water is not.

Comment

Hello. I'm writing from Italy. I found this interesting forum 'couse I was looking for a RC Battleship.

I'm coming from 1/16 RC Tanks and I have some experience in 1/10 scaler.

Since years I was attracted from RC Battleships. I have seen them in the greatest RC Models Fairs in my country,

I can't believe that will be available models RTR with this quality. Until now I've seen only toys.

I'm very interested in this 1/200 Missouri. I am fascinated by Iowa Class battleships. I think that they are the most beautiful battleships ever made. More than the mightest Yamato, that's also a great battleship, in every sense.

I looked to the pictures of the models posted by Alpha... and I have some little question about the main guns. In the pictures the main guns are closed by the caps, like the real ones... Are they removable?

Also i've seen that in Yamato 1/200 model is possible to move the main guns up and down, for elevating and depressing. Alpha wrote that is possible to adapt a servo to control this by remote. Is it possible also on Missouri's ones?

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger Lungan View Post
          Hello. I'm writing from Italy. I found this interesting forum 'couse I was looking for a RC Battleship.

I'm coming from 1/16 RC Tanks and I have some experience in 1/10 scaler.

Since years I was attracted from RC Battleships. I have seen them in the greatest RC Models Fairs in my country,

I can't believe that will be available models RTR with this quality. Until now I've seen only toys.

I'm very interested in this 1/200 Missouri. I am fascinated by Iowa Class battleships. I think that they are the most beautiful battleships ever made. More than the mightiest Yamato, that's also a great battleship, in every sense.

I looked to the pictures of the models posted by Alpha... and I have some little question about the main guns. In the pictures the main guns are closed by the caps, like the real ones... Are they removable?

Also i've seen that in Yamato 1/200 model is possible to move the main guns up and down, for elevating and depressing. Alpha wrote that is possible to adapt a servo to control this by remote. Is it possible also on Missouri's ones?

Thank you.
          RL, Welcome to Hobby Squawk! Glad you're on board. I do not know if the gun caps are removable, but would guess those are removable. As for changing the gun elevation and rotating the turret, those are modifications you would have to make yourself. I think when these beautiful ships become available, owners will be making those modifications by whatever means, 3DP and scratch built, then posting those here at Hobby Squawk. I know I will. Best, LB
          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Thank you, Elbee.

I asked about gun caps to motionrc assistance and they said to me to post the question here in the forum. Alpha should have the answer.

Comment

Ranger Lungan Welcome to Hobby Squawk, Ranger Lungan, I'm happy to answer your questions:

1) Regarding "gun caps", I assume you mean the tampions. Tampions are the covers used to plug the muzzle of gun barrels when the guns aren't in action. In 1/200 scale, the tampion's inner diameter on the USS Missouri's main guns is only 2mm in diameter... That is far too small to make it "removable". I wouldn't want to lose a 2mm diameter removable piece.

2) Regarding turret traverse, all the warships' main guns freely swivel, so affixing them to a servo or related armature should be straightforward affair for a modeler with basic tools and materials.

3) Regarding barrel elevation, the 1/200 Yamato's main gun barrels can be independently positioned manually into different positions. Making this function remotely controlled would require a bit more effort, but not impossible. I'd recommend 2.5g servos for something like that to fit them into the turret or at least nearby beneath it.

In the future we also plan to bring metal barrel upgrades that are hollow, for those wanting to experiment with smoke expulsion.
              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Alpha Thank you for your answers.

Thank you also for a new english word: "tampions". I'm adding it to my personal dictionary 😄. As you can read, English is not my native language. Unfortunately, I learned it late in my life. Also "tampion" does not have a literally translation in Italian. We say "Tappo di volata" that means "Muzzle cap".
                So I used "Gun caps" to make myself understood.

Probably, I can afford the expense for only one of this fantastic rc battleships, and have to say that both Missouri and Yamato are so iconic to be the first choice.

But Missouri has some plus in this competition. Her design is better for me. Also her waterlines are straighter and slimmer. So Missouri is longer and narrow than Yamato.

From the pictures you posted in your threads is possible to see that both are exquisitely detailed.

But about the main guns it seems that there is a different level in the two models.

Yamato ones have the muzzle open, and is possible to position them in different elevations. So it's easy to apply servos to this function.

But, as I can assume from your answer, the Missouri main guns have a fixed elevation, so they don't move up and down. Am I right?

I know, Yamato main guns are bigger, so it's easier to make them move. But also Missouri main guns have to be remotely controlled both in traverse and elevation.

Main guns are the most important detail in a battleship. This ships were pratically built around the main guns.

Glad to know your plan to bring metal barrel upgrades! This is a "Must Have".

😉

Comment

This is on my buy list when it becomes available. Dai

Comment

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
                    This is on my buy list when it becomes available. Dai
                    It is in stock now.

Comment

Originally posted by tab28682 View Post

It is in stock now.
                      My apologies. I meant the 1/150 version. Dai

Comment

Has anybody tried running the 1/200 Mighty MO? Any ESC and or motor issues? Thank you.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Paulh View Post
                          Has anybody tried running the 1/200 Mighty MO? Any ESC and or motor issues? Thank you.

Paul
                          I ran the 1/200 Yamato and have ESC issue. I do not think it would be any different with the MO. But I would love to hear from first hand user. DP

Comment

Thank you for replying dai. It seems the two motor ships are doing ok but not so much for 3 and 4 brushed motor set ups. To bad they didn't put better quality electronics in these
                            very nice ships/boats.

Comment

Thank you for replying dai. It seems the two motor ships are doing ok but not so much for 3 and 4 brushed motor set ups. To bad they didn't put better quality electronics in these
                              very nice ships/boats.
                              Seems to me the real issue is not automatically the quality of the electronics, but a significant error in production and equipment installation

The supplied ESC might be of decent quality and work well if cooled by by water as designed.

Unless MRC expects the customer to install water cooling tubes in the ship (not going to go over well) the only easy fix is to send out an air cooled brushed ESC with a good heat sink on it.

Still thinking about getting one of these, so very interested in how this situation shakes out.

Comment

Originally posted by tab28682 View Post

Seems to me the real issue is not the quality of the electronics, but a significant error in production and equipment installation

The supplied ESC might be of decent quality and work well if cooled by by water as designed.
                                Agreed. Very high quality builds but poor quality in design and execution of the electronics. Because of such these are dock queens. My Yamoto is on permanent display. Dai

Comment

MRC should contact Ky Models and re-design the electronic layout to allow adequate cooling. Sending new ESC to replace the burn out ones do not solve the problem. Dai

Comment

very nice ships/boats.
                                    People are having problems with the Landing Craft ESC too. This is 2 motor ship. Dai

Comment

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
                                      MRC should contact Ky Models and re-design the electronic layout to allow adequate cooling. Sending new ESC to replace the burn out ones do not solve the problem. Dai
                                      If they send a good air cooled ESC as a replacement, it would immediately solve the problem. I’d like to hope they are smart enough to not simply send out another water cooled ESC, which would definitely not solve the problem, unless it included a water cooling system: pump, radiator, water reservoir, and tubing.

MRC reacted quickly to a recent issue with the elevator servos on their new MIG-29 EDF model and sent out improved servos.

I have a feeling that they are working to source a good solution and they will announce it soon. However, it would be a bad idea to do something like send out air cooled ESCs with testing for a least a few days to make sure it solves the problem reliably.

Comment

Alpha reported only 5 people of reported problems. I find it hard to swallow there are only 5 people with ESC issues.

Comment

Originally posted by pdansalvish View Post
                                          Alpha reported only 5 people of reported problems. I find it hard to swallow there are only 5 people with ESC issues.
                                          I am sure are loads more around the world with different vendors who carry Ky Models ships. Dai

Comment

Working...
                                          X