Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bancroft 1:200 Scale Battleship Yamato

BANCROFT 1/200 scale Battleship Yamato
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Gallery Hero 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	127.8 KB ID:	241132

More than just a meme on World of Warships video games, the Imperial Japanese superbattleship “Yamato” and her sister ship “Musashi” were the largest floating weapons deployed in World War 2. Built under intense secrecy, as it subverted the international treaties restricting ships of its immense size, the Yamato became a symbol of defiance as the Allies closed in around the island country that had once threatened Pacific domination. Bancroft’s Elite Series of 1/200 scale warships continues with the Battleship Yamato. Display this museum piece on your mantle or stun your RC boat club with this functional RTR (Ready to Run) RC battleship. Over 600 total parts and 250 man-hours of work is already completed for you –just 15 minutes of your time is required to prepare the boat for service out of the box.
    Ready to Run (RTR), the vessel can be sailing within minutes of being unboxed, using the included 2.4Ghz radio transmitter and 2s Li-Ion battery.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Gallery Hero 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	267.5 KB ID:	241133

In a word, the Bancroft 1/200 scale Yamato is “Stunning”.

The Yamato arrives fully painted and detailed with over 400 brass photo-etched parts including antennas, railings, launch ramps and AA guns, many of which are the thickness of a needle! The Bancroft Yamato also features a genuine one-piece wood deck that is laser cut and pre-installed onto the one-piece molded hull. The laser etched pattern simulates the individual deck timbers used to cover the massive battleship.

Starting from the front, the emperor’s golden mon (family crest) is emblazoned onto the bow. The entire foredeck seen in gray is a painted brass Photo-Etched (PE) part, textured and further detailed with metal PE parts and metal chain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	One Piece Molded Hull.JPG Views:	0 Size:	120.3 KB ID:	241135Click image for larger version  Name:	Photo-Etched Brass Foredeck.jpg Views:	0 Size:	172.1 KB ID:	241134

Moving aft of the foredeck, the genuine wood deck can be seen, as well as the positionable main turrets. Each turret is painstakingly molded, painted, then detailed. Each main barrel can be positioned up and down, and even the mantlets are depicted in cloth like the real Yamato.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Gallery General - Copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	95.3 KB ID:	241136Click image for larger version  Name:	Laser Cut Wood Deck and Cloth Details - Copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	132.2 KB ID:	241137

The main turrets attach to the hull with a simple centered post. This allows them to be positioned with your finger in any direction. It would be very simple for modelers to install a servo of their own to traverse (rotate) the turret remotely, although elevating and depressing the barrels remotely would be a bigger DIY challenge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Positionable Turrets.jpg Views:	9 Size:	159.0 KB ID:	241139Click image for larger version  Name:	Yamato_Removable_Turrets.jpg Views:	9 Size:	200.3 KB ID:	241140
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

The Yamato’s superstructure is one of its defining characteristics, housing most of the vessel’s ~100 guns. Just a few years ago it was unimaginable to me that a boat of this astounding level of detail can be sailed as a Ready-To-Run RTR RC boat in minutes. I have watched the factory workers assemble dozens of 0.5mm rigging line, requiring illuminated magnified workstations to execute this work sharply! Surprising still, is how durable the model holds up to everyday use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamato_Preinstalled_Superstructure.jpg
Views:	7723
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	241146Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamato_Photoetched_Assemblies.jpg
Views:	7830
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	241143

The bridge's many rigging lines are pre-installed at the factory. There remains just a few anchors for the user to position when he/she receives the model out of the box. Just one anchor is needed to be undone in order to service the interior of the boat. I'm relieved that so much of this work is done by the factory. The photos below show the model as it was received out of the box! Photos simply cannot do this level of detail any justice.

Name:	Yamato_Preinstalled_Rigging.jpg
Views:	8397
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	241145Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamato_PinSized_Details.jpg
Views:	8068
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	241144

Moving to the stern of the battleship, Bancroft’s model again features a large brass Photo-Etched piece that is textured to depict the rear deck of the Yamato. The heaps of detail continue with the various apparatus to position, launch, and recover the Yamato’s [somewhat soft] search planes. A smart hatch is concealed in the stern to access the rudder’s control hardware inside the hull. Smart design paired with stellar detail are hallmarks of Bancroft’s Elite Series.

Name:	Yamato_Brass_Aftcastle.jpg
Views:	7532
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	241147Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamato_Brass_Props.jpg
Views:	7420
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	241148

Despite being such a large and detailed warship, the Bancroft 1/200 scale Yamato is very easy to service. The primary superstructure is molded around one central piece, that can be removed with one hand. To access the hull interior, the entire superstructure is pulled cleanly off of the deck. I really like this implementation because it allows access into the battery bay within a few seconds, without needing any screws or fussy disassembly of the model.

Four pre-installed motors drive four polished brass screws (propellers), just like the real Yamato. The battery mounting plate, waterproof ESC, on/off switch, and pre-bound 2.5Ghz receiver are all mounted cleanly. The Yamato’s narrow superstructure design doesn’t allow for a very wide cutout, but I found it sufficient for positioning the battery and plugging it in with the included XT60 connector.

Name:	Yamato_EZ_Access.jpg
Views:	8326
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	241150Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamato_4_Motors.jpg
Views:	7305
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	241149

Comment

Those four motors drive four brass screws (propellers). These metal screws are connected to the motors via steel drive shafts and safety links. They are waterproofed well out-of-the-box.
      The only “assembly” the user needs to do is to unwrap the separately packaged sub-assemblies such as turrets, cranes, and planes, and insert their posts into the matching holes on the ship. Even the rigging is pre-assembled and tied –the user just clips the main line onto two anchoring positions. From opening the box to putting it in the water, I logged 15 minutes. You’ll need to triple that to account for “Oogle” time though, as you pour over the staggering amount of details on this model! The included radio has unused switches and unused receiver ports, too.

Name:	Yamato_4_Brass_Screws.jpg
Views:	7834
Size:	148.8 KB
ID:	241154Click image for larger version

Name:	Yamato_RTR.jpg
Views:	7330
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	241155

I love the 1/200 scale for Bancroft’s Elite Series of battleships, because they’re the perfect length to be large, imposing, and hyper-detailed, yet they’re still “small” enough to be carried by one person and transported in a car’s back seat. Alongside the Bancroft 1/200 scale Missouri, one can imagine the duel these two would have fought if they had ever actually met each other in battle.

Name:	Yamato_EZ_Transport - Copy.jpg
Views:	8297
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	241156Click image for larger version

Name:	1-200 Scale (Shows Yamato and Missouri) 1 - Copy (2).JPG
Views:	13597
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	241157

Among all the 1/200 scale warships from Bancroft’s Elite Series, I have to say that the Yamato is my favorite. For a battleship shrouded in so much mystery, words cannot express how I feel seeing it on the water again at my control. I can see how a couple of minor upgrades to it would really bring it to life for the scale modeler in me, namely a smoke generator and rotating main turrets, but other than a high red-line (impossible to avoid given the model’s scale outline but much lower displacement ratio), I cannot find any real fault in the Bancroft 1/200 scale Yamato as it was delivered out of the box.

Measuring ~1300mm in length, it's easy to transport, easy to service, beautiful out of the box, and big enough to fit other scale upgrades I might create in the future. Seen below at left the 1/200 scale Yamato with the 1/200 Nagato and 1/200 Kongo, and seen at right with an assortment of longer ships including the 1/72 Fletcher destroyer, 1/150 Titanic, and 1/150 scale Missouri, all larger but more costly and less convenient to transport models. I'd consider the 1/200 warship series as "Everyday Prestige Scale Drivers" that anyone can own. Just don't drop it!

Name:	1-200 Scale.JPG
Views:	8315
Size:	178.6 KB
ID:	241158Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01269.JPG
Views:	7480
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	241160

For my money, Bancroft’s 1/200 scale “Museum Piece meets a Ready-To-Sail” series can’t get any better than the Yamato.

Name:	Gallery General (5) - Copy.JPG
Views:	7436
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	241159

Two important notes:
      1. Once you’re powered on, the screws (propellers) will spin when you advance the throttle. This is a hazard when holding the boat, so always practice safe modeling and do not turn on the boat’s switch until you’re at the boat launch and your radio is away from anything that might move the throttle stick without your consent.
      2. Ballast is required to balance the boat to your preferred level of trim. Additional useable weight may be used in the form of a larger battery, or deadweight may be used in the form of lead ballast, ball bearings, or other dense metal weights.

Comment

Reserved for video

Comment

Very nice! I have the old Nichimo kit about 70% finished & this detail blows it away. If its any consolation, I've modified mine to be based upon her initial config during Midway that will be joined with several DDs that I have sitting around in the stash.

Any chance there may be a carrier such as Akagi coming down the road should sales meet expectations? With with either Kongo & Nagato in the scale, that would certainly make for one hellava presence on the local pond. 😎

Comment

I have to say I’ve really been studying the new line of ships and by far this is my favorite. There’s just something special to me about the details on this ship. Me and papa have always loved the 🇯🇵 models we’ve had 5 zeros now lol. The level of detail in these models would make this look good in a museum let alone my living room. The boozer is going to need to start saving all his pennies up because this ship needs to be in my life. This looks like so much fun to paint on for 100s of hours don’t get me wrong the paint job looks fantastic but if your buying this model you have to be interested in painting a little right. Well Alpha it looks fantastic and I hope I’m lucky enough to have one in the boozer fleet one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Boozer RC View Post
              This looks like so much fun to paint on for 100s of hours don’t get me wrong the paint job looks fantastic but if your buying this model you have to be interested in painting a little right.
              One jumped in my cart chasing a Fletcher... I already had plans to repaint the Fletcher with DD-797 and her Measure 31/16D. She may find herself in greens I've found a few images of potential design's that may have been made for her. Though some I can tell were from games and others I'm not historian enough to care beyond that they look pretty sharp and would make her stand out in a crowd.

Comment

Hello all,

I got the Bancroft Yamato and I love the details. There are few loose parts that I would like to know where they go to. Your help is much appreciated. Dai

Comment

I can tell you some of it. The two piece scaffolding is from the Crain on the rear. And the curved Catwalk goes to the back of one of the two large secondary guns Click image for larger version

Name:	20200923_175328.jpg
Views:	6150
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	276293
                  The multiple little black sticks look like gun barrels from some of the AA guns.
                  The Box is a Ammo box... You've lots of those... All I can say is the sides are Mirrored and its easier to find with the superstructure out of the way. I had one popped off too and taking of the superstructure to find it took me 20 min to figure out then another 20 of comparing.
                  And the little metal H thing is off one of the AA guns like on top of the turrets lots of those to look through too I was lucky in that the only one of those off was from a turret and it was in the turret foam still.

Name:	20200923_175341.jpg
Views:	6095
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	276289Click image for larger version

Name:	20200923_175337.jpg
Views:	6064
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	276294
                  Beyond that all i can say is good luck. There's a LOT of little detail to drool over and look through.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by twodawgs View Post
                    I can tell you some of it. The two piece scaffolding is from the Crain on the rear. And the curved Catwalk goes to the back of one of the two large secondary guns Click image for larger version

Name:	20200923_175328.jpg
Views:	6150
Size:	210.9 KB
ID:	276293
                    The multiple little black sticks look like gun barrels from some of the AA guns.
                    The Box is a Ammo box... You've lots of those... All I can say is the sides are Mirrored and its easier to find with the superstructure out of the way. I had one popped off too and taking of the superstructure to find it took me 20 min to figure out then another 20 of comparing.
                    And the little metal H thing is off one of the AA guns like on top of the turrets lots of those to look through too I was lucky in that the only one of those off was from a turret and it was in the turret foam still.

Name:	20200923_175341.jpg
Views:	6095
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	276289Click image for larger version

Name:	20200923_175337.jpg
Views:	6064
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	276294
                    Beyond that all i can say is good luck. There's a LOT of little detail to drool over and look through.
                    Thank you so much for your help. Wish I have seen this when I placed the crane where I thought it should go. I looked at the Graupner 1/150 version (also made by Ky Models) and did mine based on that. Had to borrow my a/c modelling bench for the repair . I find the Vallejo Model Air 71.277 seems to be a good color for doing touch ups. Dai

Comment

Hello all,

I now have 4 models manufactured by Ky Model. The Graupner 1/150 Bismark, the 1/100 Cap San Diego, the 1/150 Belfast and now the 1/200 Yamato. I prefer the 1/150 version of the Yamato but since Graupner is gone and Ky Model now only produces the 1/200 version I went for it. My impression is that workmanship is very good on par with the other three. You may wonder if the price tag is worth it. I will answer but 770 USD shipped ( within the US ) is a major purchase by any standards and it is a high amount. In the A/C world , anything above 600 USD involve fiberglass parts and a big step away and above of the foamies. So back to the question if the price tag justifies the purchase? My answer is YES. This is no foamie but an intricate kit made from hundreds of parts that requires hundreds of hours to bring to completion. I tell you from a person with 45 year plastic modeler that had placed at IPMS contests that it takes lots of time to bring this to the table. Consider a kit like this costs 250 bucks and to pay roughly 500 more to have it all assembled, painted and ready to go ( I must admit usually the included electronics suck in RRR offerings but in this case I CANNOT make a judgement because I have not try it out yet) is a good deal. But regardless of the electronics, I think the price tag is completely justified. Imagine you commision this kit or have it made in the USA, I will tell you it will cost you at least 2K. I have no connection to Motion RC or Ky Model at all but if you can afford it, it is an excellent buy. I do not want to sound unpatriotic but really affordable overseas labor really is very advantagous to us in USA and other parts of the world. Dai

Comment

Originally posted by dai phan View Post
                        Hello all,

I now have 4 models manufactured by Ky Model. The Graupner 1/150 Bismark, the 1/100 Cap San Diego, the 1/150 Belfast and now the 1/200 Yamato. I prefer the 1/150 version of the Yamato but since Graupner is gone and Ky Model now only produces the 1/200 version I went for it. My impression is that workmanship is very good on par with the other three. You may wonder if the price tag is worth it. I will answer but 770 USD shipped ( within the US ) is a major purchase by any standards and it is a high amount. In the A/C world , anything above 600 USD involve fiberglass parts and a big step away and above of the foamies. So back to the question if the price tag justifies the purchase? My answer is YES. This is no foamie but an intricate kit made from hundreds of parts that requires hundreds of hours to bring to completion. I tell you from a person with 45 year plastic modeler that had placed at IPMS contests that it takes lots of time to bring this to the table. Consider a kit like this costs 250 bucks and to pay roughly 500 more to have it all assembled, painted and ready to go ( I must admit usually the included electronics suck in RRR offerings but in this case I CANNOT make a judgement because I have not try it out yet) is a good deal. But regardless of the electronics, I think the price tag is completely justified. Imagine you commision this kit or have it made in the USA, I will tell you it will cost you at least 2K. I have no connection to Motion RC or Ky Model at all but if you can afford it, it is an excellent buy. I do not want to sound unpatriotic but really affordable overseas labor really is very advantagous to us in USA and other parts of the world. Dai
                        DP, Firstly, welcome to Hobby Squawk. Secondly, thank you for your very candid thoughts on this new offering by MotionRC. I can see one of these in my future and reading your experienced review simply confirms what my eyes have been seeing. I am looking forward to additional pictures of your modifications and running gear. Best, LB
                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Originally posted by Elbee View Post

DP, Firstly, welcome to Hobby Squawk. Secondly, thank you for your very candid thoughts on this new offering by MotionRC. I can see one of these in my future and reading your experienced review simply confirms what my eyes have been seeing. I am looking forward to additional pictures of your modifications and running gear. Best, LB
                          Thank you so much for your reply. I plan to go to the lake this weekend and run the boat. The thing I am concerned is the included electronics. Cheap poor quality electronics is a default pattern commonly seen in RTF packages in the A/C side of the pond. I have seen countless failed retracts, servos and ESC going up in smoke right in front of my eyes. Serious flyers first thing they do is gut out these electronics. On the boat side, both the ESCs failed after few short runs on my Aquacraft Bristol Bay and Fire Rescue Ship. Luckily I have a friend who is an avid swimmer to rescue the boats. I really hope I will not see this default pattern especially on an 800 dollar boat. Anyone who has any experience with Bancroft electronics, please chime in. I have read somewhere an ESC failed on one of the Bancroft RTR offerings that needs replacement. I understand this is Motion RC sponsored thread and I hope my candid reviews/impressions will benefit to manufacturers/dealers and consumers alike. Likely I will order another boat MRC has in stock today. Dai

Comment

Good morning...

I am looking forward to the chance of getting the 1/150 Titanic, 1/150 MO, the 1/150 Uladoy and the 1/72 Fletcher. If anyone notices any of these are available on Motion RC, please drop me a line at drdaiphan@yahoo.com. I check MRC daily for the incomings but sometimes I am not as keen and fast as some of you. My sincere thanks in advance. Dai

PS: Come and have me as a Facebook friend. You can see my cool toys, my compositions and cooking photos there.

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

Greetings...

Tonight while working to straighten the bent rails, I knocked off some PE parts and never to be seen again. These PE parts on the 1/200 version are way too fragile that knocking them off at the workbench or at the lake WILL happen resulting in lost parts. I think these parts are just WAY TOO WEAK to be handled other than in the display case That is why I prefer the 1/150 ships as the metal parts are way thicker and much more robust ! Simply although scale , these metal parts are just waiting for accidents to happen. They are not simply strong enough for repeated handling. I would say a person who frequents this ship at the lake will end up losing many PE parts one after another as they are all over the model. It is impossible to grab something that does not involve smashing and knocking them off. I suggest Ky Model to either use the 1/150 version PE so they can be a bit stronger or mold them out of plastic. Yes it is not scale but at least they stay on the model. I had to go on EB and order some generic 1/200 PE parts . I think beause of the metal parts fragility, repeated outings unless with UTMOST care will result in loss of many PE parts that make this model so detailed and more appropriate for display purpose. Dai

Comment

Greetings,

Knowing I will lose PE parts eventually and so far no answer from ihobbymall, I went ahead and ordered a PE set made for the Nichimo 1/200 kit on Amazon. Expensive but I know I will need it. It costs 95 USD and I am lucky to have the Nichimo 1/200 Mushasi (Yamato's sister ship) in case I need some spare parts. That kit runs about 600-700 USD on EB ! Totally insane. Dai

Comment

dai phan, Great find. Thank you, Sir. Best, LB
                                  I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                  ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Greetings ...

If I would like to have a set up that I could run the ship for 3 hours or more at SCALE speed, what would I need to do ? Thanks in advance. Dai

Comment

Good Sunday morning ...

Today will be the maiden voyage of the Yamato on its first mission ( I hope) ! I tested the components by running the ship in the bath tub at various speeds. 2 minutes into the test, the ESC stopped working and became extremely hot of being untouchable. However, after stopping everything for a few minutes, it started working again w/o any issues. Is this normal as if this were a plane I would have lost it. Please advise if I should take to the lake at all... Thanks Dai
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Hello everyone ...

Maiden the ship today! It looks impressive on the water and attracts the crowd. I thought the speed was marginal at maximum and also marginal in steering. I will see if changing servos throws or binding to another radio will help. I used stock radio to see how it runs on the maiden. As I feared, I ended up knocking PE parts off as well as cushing a portion of the hand rails as they are way too thin to survive the handling. I was EXTREMELY careful on where I pick up the model but still, these PE parts are way too fragile and just too weak for use other than static. I look at the 1/150 offerings and these PE parts are much stronger to survive frequent handling at the lake. In my opinion, these 1/200 ships are just too fragile to play around with. Dai

Comment

Working...
                                        X