Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bancroft PT-596 Patrol Boat - RTR

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A shame you mave to mod something new, but it would not be hard or expensive to add a heak sink and a small cooling fan to each of the the brushed ESCs in the ship models. Likely to work with the air volume available in tbe interior, but might need air blown up and out of the interior.

Might not even need a heatvsink...just a 12v cooling fan running on the 8.4 lipo, blowing directly on the ESC.

If so, here is a solution for 2.50 per motor:

Perhaps MRC will offer improved ESCs for the ship models as a free upgrade.

Comment

• Originally posted by tab28682 View Post
      A shame you mave to mod something new, but it would not be hard or expensive to add a heak sink and a small cooling fan to each of the the brushed ESCs in the ship models. Likely to work with the air volume available in tbe interior, but might need air blown up and out of the interior.

Might not even need a heatvsink...just a 12v cooling fan running on the 8.4 lipo, blowing directly on the ESC.

If so, here is a solution for 2.50 per motor:

https://www.amazon.com/Printer-Termi...%2C207&sr=8-13

Perhaps MRC will offer improved ESCs for the ship models as a free upgrade.
      Easy, affordable upgrade or not, the buyers should not have to do this. This is almost 600 dollar boat. NOT a 5.99 pool toy! I really would like MRC to say something about this issue on public forum. I already have issues on my Yamato. I have yet to run the LC but others already reported some issues. The Cutter will here on Friday. Dai

Comment

• Originally posted by RSRN View Post
        Good morning pdansalvish,
        Thanks for all the info, the meter you mention is no longer available. any suggestions. This boat may turn into a money pit, oh well. Again thanks for your time. So much for RTR ,Ready to Run
        I might have given you wrong link. On MotionRC's front page in the search box enter watt meter. You should get a page with the title: GT Power 180A Watt Meter and Power Analyzer. Motion has them in stock for $24.99. You have to solder some ends on the wire. Add a pack of XT60's to your order. You need one male and one female XT60.

Comment

• Originally posted by dai phan View Post

Easy, affordable upgrade or not, the buyers should not have to do this. This is almost 600 dollar boat. NOT a 5.99 pool toy! I really would like MRC to say something about this issue on public forum. I already have issues on my Yamato. I have yet to run the LC but others already reported some issues. The Cutter will here on Friday. Dai
          I agree and expressed that at the beginning of my post.

However, personally, I am willing to invest a little time and money to fix this sort of problem and get back into the water or air right away, rather than wait weeks or months for the dealer to fix a shortcoming. Life is short!

Complety agree that MRC has to do something about it and silence from them is not the way to handle it.

Comment

However, personally, I am willing to invest a little time and money to fix this sort of problem and get back into the water or air right away, rather than wait weeks or months for the dealer to fix a shortcoming. Life is short!

Complety agree that MRC has to do something about it and silence from them is not the way to handle it.
            I now hold off on buying anymore from MRC until there is enough evidence these boats are truly indeed RTR. Dai

Comment

Please do a review on this boat so others do not have to go through what you are going through now. Dai

Comment

• Hi. I have been reading about the problem's some of you are having with the PT Boat, does anybody know anyone who has bought this boat and has NO problems. We are still waiting in Europe for the Bancroft range of boats to arrive,I was told the other day we have to wait another 6 weeks, If we wait long enough we might get Black Friday Discount. I dont want to buy a boat which gives problems, I have not the time or the energy to sort problems.

Comment

• Originally posted by Egghead View Post
                  Hi. I have been reading about the problem's some of you are having with the PT Boat, does anybody know anyone who has bought this boat and has NO problems. We are still waiting in Europe for the Bancroft range of boats to arrive,I was told the other day we have to wait another 6 weeks, If we wait long enough we might get Black Friday Discount. I dont want to buy a boat which gives problems, I have not the time or the energy to sort problems.
                  Do NOT buy as of yet until the issue is sorted out. Dai

Comment

• Hey pdansalvish,
                    Thanks for the update on the watt meter, so when I get this and the results are the same/similar to your,whats the recourse. I read something from tab 28682 that installing a small cooling fan attacthed to the heat sink would help lower the temp, run bt a seperate battery. I feel that someone MRC/Motion RC should be stepping up with a mod kit that would be available to all purchasers of this boat. Any thoughts out there.

Comment

Hey pdansalvish,
                      Thanks for the update on the watt meter, so when I get this and the results are the same/similar to your,whats the recourse. I read something from tab 28682 that installing a small cooling fan attacthed to the heat sink would help lower the temp, run bt a seperate battery. I feel that someone MRC/Motion RC should be stepping up with a mod kit that would be available to all purchasers of this boat. Any thoughts out there.
                      I am waiting to see what MRC has to say about this. So far nothing. Dai

Comment

• RSRN,

The reason I did my tests was to make sure the amount of AMPS being pulled did not exceed the rating listed. If more AMPS are being pulled then the ESC is rated will cause the ESC to burn up. Since you stated you ran your 3 motor's for 14 minutes at full throttle. I would take a good stab that your ESC is up to snuff. (I would still do a check just to make sure.) Now you did state after 14 minutes your motors stopped and after waiting a while they were active for a few seconds. Again this makes sense. The ESC has a built in protective system to prevent you from running the Lipo batteries voltage level to low. Lipo batteries should never be discharged below 3.6 volts per cell (optimum they should be no lower than 3.7 per cell). When the ESC recognizes a certain voltage level it prevents the motors for running. However, the rudders should have been working. This is where you should have a Lipo Cell checker and balancer (then run about $10.00). You plug the white balance plug into the checker. My plan for running the boat was to run it around for about 7-8 minutes. Bring the boat back to shore and use the cell checker. Depending on the cell voltages I would either take the boat out for a few more minutes or bring it in and recharge the battery. After a number of runs with cell checking I will be able to know how long I could run the boat comfortably. I would then set a timer on phone to remind me to bring the back to shore. This is where multiple batteries come in handy.

Comment

• pdansalvish,
                          Once again thank you for your time to give me a very detailed explanation to my questions. I will be ordering the cell checker and the watt meter. Any thoughts about the cooling fan.Again thanks for your insight.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rascal76 View Post
                            I pulled the speed control out of the PT to get a look at it.
                            Looking at the jumpers it looks like they are in the wrong positions! (At least to me!)
                            Click image for larger version Name:	PT ESC.jpg Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	276054
                            The top jumper is set to the right. The diagram shows that it should be the left for LiPo batteries.
                            I am correct on that?
                            The bottom one is to the right in the "RC" position.
                            The left position is for "ESC"
                            I'm not sure which is correct for the bottom one.
                            If I was setting this up from scratch I would have picked the ESC position.

Can someone check this for me?

Thanks

Rascal76
                            I have been looking at the Spec on MotionRC for the PT boat and they are quoting ESC 80A. fitted in this boat. Has the factory changed the Spec on this boat and not told MotionRC. changed motors , batterys, Esc, some factorys in China put the best equipment into goods for valuation they then deliver goods with lower price equipment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Egghead View Post

I have been looking at the Spec on MotionRC for the PT boat and they are quoting ESC 80A. fitted in this boat. Has the factory changed the Spec on this boat and not told MotionRC. changed motors , batterys, Esc, some factorys in China put the best equipment into goods for valuation they then deliver goods with lower price equipment.
                              Not sure if that is the case but I will be contacting MRC on the ESC issue of the Yamato. Dai

Comment

• I was a mechanical engineer for 45 years. I designed electric motors and generators ( the mechanical aspects) for a good portion of that time. Big ones for wind turbines and Navy ships.
                                Bottom line is an electrical component that was designed to be water cooled should be water cooled. It just wasn't designed for air cooling. Yes maybe you can get away with it if the load is light enough, but it's not the correct installation for this component.
                                I am adding water cooling to mine. It should be an easy upgrade. I'll post images of what I do. The parts should be here tomorrow.
                                Check out a website called Zippkits https://zippkits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9 The first two components and some tubing are all you need. Less that $10.00 in parts. and drill two holes.

Yes we shouldn't have to do this but I really like this boat so I am gong forward with it.

Here's a short video of the one and only test run. The next time around it quit.

​​

Rascal76
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Rascal76; Oct 2, 2020, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rascal76 View Post
                                  I was a mechanical engineer for 45 years. I designed electric motors and generators ( the mechanical aspects) for a good portion of that time. Big ones for wind turbines and Navy ships.
                                  Bottom line is an electrical component that was deigned to be water cooled should be water cooled. It just wasn't deigned for air cooling. Yes maybe you can get away with it if the load is light enough, but it's not the correct installation for this component.
                                  I am adding water cooling to mine. It should be an easy upgrade. I'll post images of what I do. The parts should be here tomorrow.
                                  Check out a website called Zippkits https://zippkits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9 The first two components and some tubing are all you need. Lees that $10.00 in parts. and drill two holes.

Yes we shouldn't have to do this but I really like this boat so I am gong forward with it.

Here's a short video of the one and only test run. The next time around it quit.

​​

Rascal76
                                  I really like this boat and on my " MUST BUY" list. But really it leaves a bad taste in my mouth that you have to do this. MRC should do something about this. Dai

Comment

pdansalvish,
                                    Once again thank you for your time to give me a very detailed explanation to my questions. I will be ordering the cell checker and the watt meter. Any thoughts about the cooling fan.Again thanks for your insight.
                                    RSRN,

Not sure a fan will help much. None of us have been able to run the boats much to see if the ESC is heating up. A 14 second run is insufficient to see if the motor is heating up. The problem is bad electronics and poor design. Considering what Rascal76 and southernmd_man have been stating these are marine ESC that need water to work. In my opinion with my 14 second run I doubt water would have even made it to the esc. I am at the point of considering sending my boat back for a refund. Spending $600 for a radio control boat that does not work is crap. I am heading to the campground for the weekend to think about my next step.

Comment

• Originally posted by pdansalvish View Post

RSRN,

Not sure a fan will help much. None of us have been able to run the boats much to see if the ESC is heating up. A 14 second run is insufficient to see if the motor is heating up. The problem is bad electronics and poor design. Considering what Rascal76 and southernmd_man have been stating these are marine ESC that need water to work. In my opinion with my 14 second run I doubt water would have even made it to the esc. I am at the point of considering sending my boat back for a refund. Spending $600 for a radio control boat that does not work is crap. I am heading to the campground for the weekend to think about my next step.
                                      You have 30 day warranty period. I am filing a ticket on my Yamato issue (ESC). Dai

Comment

• Egghead, I'd wait 6 to 8 months to order, if you order. Like a new model car, it takes awhile to work the bugs out and get things working as they should. Currently these boats are a crap fest, and these lack of chiming in by MRC staff, who must be monitoring, makes one think they got the money, and don't give a sh!t. Crap electronics, which MRC can specify the specs on, or lack of cooling these things are all look, but crap real world engineering.

Comment

• Friends old and new,
                                          As many of you who have been Motion RC customers for years already know, our team welcomes feedback of all kinds, and we expeditiously relay all officially recorded feedback to our factory partners for warranty claims, new ideas, and product improvements. For customers with issues, concerns, or questions of any kind, our CS Team is available to serve you by phone Monday-Friday, 8am-6pm CST, and by email and live chat during that time. As with any product purchased from Motion RC, we stand behind our Bancroft products just as strenuously as we do our other top brands including Freewing, Benchcraft, Nexa, and FlightLine. So far, I am aware of a small number of customers, around five, who have contacted the team and are now awaiting replacement components for issues related to their Bancroft boats. To anyone reading this who has not yet contact the Motion RC Customer Support team, please do so. They will be more than happy to serve you!

While online forums are a great platform for us all to engage in diverse, unhindered discussion with a global RC community, may I please remind us all that online forums are not official channels to contact Motion RC Customer Support. If you have any feedback, good or bad (but especially bad!), I strongly encourage you to please contact the official support team through official means so they can service your purchase and record the issue for feedback to our factory partners.

In the USA:
                                          224-633-9090
                                          8am-6pm CST

In the EU:
                                          +31-30-8080557
                                          9am-5pm CET

Aside from the testing we conduct alongside the factory's own, we always welcome the individual experiences of each of our customer family around the world. The more information, the better. Where things are great, it is nice to hear it. Where things aren't great, it is essential to hear from you where, when, and how, so we can uncover why, and fix it. Such is the cooperative relationship of transparency and attentiveness that we hope by now our customers expect of Motion RC. We live for this stuff.

Thanks all

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X