Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek's USS Missouri 1/200 scale review

Hello scale ship enthusiast,

First impressions of this model are impressive and especially at this price point I cannot see any other competition.
    The hull is very well made and more then sturdy enough for this size of a model. Even compared to say a "Deans Marine model" the fiberglass work is as good or dare I say better.
    Even more impressive is it has a fiberglass main deck. Most high-end kits only include a main deck maid out of thin marine plywood. On my ships I replace this with plexy glass because it will last much longer and be stronger than the plywood. The other issue plywood can cause over time is pulling away from the fiberglass hull because it expands and contracts at a different rate. This is a big plus for these ships and was happy to see it.
    Speaking of the main deck, it is beautiful real wood! I have seen this upgrade for many of the 1/200 scale plastic model battleships and is literally a $70 option in most cases.
    The main superstructure is very nicely done and is sturdy to handle being removed to access the inside of the hull. I do not like having to remove the four 5" guns, having to be careful around the delicate plastic barrels and then take out the screws holding it down to the main deck. This can be risky when turning an allen wrench as to not bump into the fine detail parts on the main superstructure and damage it. I easily changed this over to magnets and now it simply pops on and off and I was able to secure the 5" guns better because they no longer have to be removed each time to get to the battery.
    One thing to also take note of is how well most of the fine details are attached to the ship. looks like some parts even have a small stake under them going into the deck to help secure it. I do this as well on my models.
    All painted parts are excellently done. Smooth and thin as to not hide any of the details. Over all fit and finish are amazing and are of high standards.
    Mechanics, as we all know I had to replace the grease with a lighter viscosity product and got very good results in both power, lower amp draw, lower operating temperatures and longer run time. This I would also suggest the factory does in all these scale ships.
    I am more than pleased with the scale appearance of this model.
    I have spent many hours on the phone with our customers regarding these scale Bancroft ships we are now offering with wonderful feedback and similar opinions to my own. Many of them want to thank MotionRc for bringing these ships to market in the US and are looking forward to making many more purchases as more models become available.
    Here are some photos I have taken of it in it's stock appearance, but will weather it at some point soon.
    On the water the ships performs nicely. Just make sure you are in high rates on the radio or rudder is limited. Unfortunately just days later our ponds started freezing over and I was not able to capture any photos or video of her sailing sorry. Speed is sufficient and turning is no trouble at all.
    One thing I recommend is changing the grease in the shafts over to a lighter viscosity. I used petroleum jelly and this did wonders for lowering operating temperature's, more speed and longer run time.

Regards Derek
    Attached Files

Looks almost to good!
    Hey check out the insignia's on the planes!
    A little weathering and it's as good as it gets!

Comment

Working...
    X