Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derek's PT Boat 596

Hello guys

This was a return from a customer for the ESC being defective/burnt out. I cannot say much about the packing in this case, because it was not packaged by the factory. The model suffered a lot of cosmetic damage during shipping from the customer to the warehouse and then the trip out to me. Several items were torn up due to a loose superstructure cabin piece.
    This is a large sturdy model that can be operated on windy days when smaller boats would find it challenging to remain out on the water. Easy to transport and less vulnerable to damage without so many intricate parts. This is an ideal take-it-with-you anywhere model that has a great scale appearance and has already started a few conversions at the pond.
    There is good access to the battery making it easy to change out. The model runs beautifully! Smooth, quiet, with great speed and excellent maneuverability and has some real authority out on the water. Operating this boat is more enjoyable than simply looking at it on a shelf. As you can tell, I really love this model. Overall a good scale boat with an even better fun-factor. This opinion is also shared by customers who have purchased this boat. This is a model to take out an enjoy as much as possible.
    Basic construction is great! Again, fiberglass hull and deck need no improvement they are very solid and well done.
    Since I had a few repairs to do I decided to just make this boat my own and have some fun with it. One thing I wanted to do is bring out the details. Starting with adding additional colors. It comes from the factory all green and I am sure that is true to the boat itself in real life, but does not help the appearance of the model. I also did some modifications but I will share those in separate postings. This model is also closer to 1/24 scale. With that in mind I have purchased a crew of 10 men and have just begun to start painting them. Also bought some depth charges and added them to the rear just for looks. Have a lot more to add but let me share what I have done so far.

Here is a link to her maiden run on the water, sad but the pond started freezing over the next day. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mH1lEkuxP14

Regards Derek
    Attached Files

She's a tight ship. Well done!

Comment

Hi Derek.
      The on water performance of your boat is far superior to mine. Are you using the stock battery? I was thinking about going up to three cells.
      I have replaced the grease with petroleum jelly and installed the provided speed controller.

Comment

So I am using a 4 cell 4000 "BUT!!!! I have throttle set to only 70 percent. Not sure the drive train will handle 4s for longevity. 3s would be ideal I just did not have any batteries in 3 cell. The red ESC will handle it no problem.

Comment

Alright! got around to making some more mods. Added rotation to the rear gun, Painted the crew and got them onboard. Weathered it all up a bit!
          Attached Files

Comment

For the driver I had to make a wood floor to bring him up a bit to see over the bulkhead.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here is the link to the rotating rear gun. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pVsZy19fmA

Comment

PT boat crew I purchased, https://www.shapeways.com/product/VK...li=marketplace

Comment

Next mod will be to add sound !

Comment

I like the crew. Very nice. Your fish are too clean. They need some grease marks.
                    Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

If anyone is interested we have an open box PT596 for sale at this link:

At Motion RC we carry the largest selection of electric and gas powered radio control (RC) planes, boats, buggies, cars, helicopters, tanks, trucks, and much more. We also offer a huge selection of lipo batteries, chargers, ESCs, gas engines, motors, radios, and servos. Shop our lowest prices with free shipping.

Needs an ESC and some cosmetic TLC but if you plane to weather it then no big deal there. I would also change out the prop shaft grease. With no ETA on new ones coming in yet you can have it for this boating season.

Comment

Hi Derek,
                        How did you cut out the platform around the rear gun? That sure would make access to the rudders a lot easier.
                        I'm the guy who bought the open box one a few days ago btw.
                        Pretty happy with it so far. Have taken out and re-greased two of the prop shafts so far. The rudders are not hard to get out but pretty tricky to line things back up from a distance to get them back in. Glad I did them one at a time since the linkage holds them close to where they belong
                        I got a new 80amp esc and will test the motors before I hook them back up to the prop shafts.
                        Hope to have it on the water in a couple of weeks.
                        Nice work on your boat so far. Really like the painted details and rotating Bofors gun.
                        Steve

Comment

Hello Steve!

The tiller hatch. I started with cutting around the rear gun deck with my Dremel and removing it. To make up for the loss of the material removed in order to do this I created a new edge with styrene plastic. Then I filed down the opening in the hull until the new piece matched up and fit well. Under the rear deck opening I made a small wood frame epoxied to the underside of the deck to support the tiller hatch/rear gun assembly. The hatch is held in place by a lip that inserts under the wood frame in the hull and is secured at the other end with 4 magnets. See attached pics.

Derek
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the reply and photos Derek.
                            Looks like something I might do in the future.
                            I would like to move the air tank (or whatever it is) from the side to the aft end like you did and add a couple of depth charges also. I have seen photos of full scale boats set up this way.
                            Are your depth charges 3-d printed from somewhere?
                            I have not been able to break the air tank loose from the deck yet (one of the few parts that is actually glued well LOL)
                            Let me know if you find a good sound system.
                            Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X