Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT-596 rear hatch mod and rotating gun.

Constructing a rear access hatch.

I wanted to get access to the stern so I could drop out the rudders and remove the prop shafts easier from the rear of the boat, rather than pulling them out from the inside of the hull. I cut around the rear gun deck with a Dremel cutoff wheel and removed it. To make up for the loss of the material removed in order to do this I created a new edge with styrene plastic. Then I filed down the opening in the hull until the new piece matched up and fit well. Under the rear deck opening I made a small wood frame epoxied to the underside of the deck to support the hatch/rear gun assembly. The hatch is held in place by a lip that inserts under the wood frame in the hull and is secured at the other end with 4 magnets. This really should already be done by the factory for the owner/operator to be able to get back here for many different reasons.
    This also gave me the opportunity to automate the gun for rotation.
    I had to start by adding a 2.4K resistor to one lead of the potentiometer inside the servo to get a 180 deg sweep. Then I installed a small gear on top of the servo and a matching gear on the spindle shaft I made for the gun. Of course some blocks glued to the underside of the hatch to screw the servo too. They are held in place by epoxy.

Here are some photos for reference and a short video of the gun rotating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pVsZy19fmA

Regards Derek
    Attached Files
Working...
X