X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wanted; RC-up the 1/72 Matchbox Flower Class Corvette

Repost so I could rephrase the title, and thus the question. Seems you can't edit titles on this forum...

In the remnants of my static model stash I have a 1/72 scale Flower class corvette. Originaly a Matchbox kit, but I have the Revell rebox. As a wee lad I built the original Matchbox kit, played with it, and at one point scuttled it. Yes, I was young and dumb(er)...

Now I want to re-do it, but properly. At the moment in the research-phase of this project, and already ordered a book (ya know, those things made of paper) on the subject. https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/Ship...es-ePub/p/7564

Now I obviously need the RC gear (transmitter, receiver, ESC, sevos) and a motor. Shaft and a prop, rudder, and possibly more servos to do stuff like turning guns and turret.
    I am pondering getting one of those darn new-fangled digital sets, so I can use it for multiple... profiles I think is the term the kids use? Maybe even for tanks later?
    Well, definitely also for tanks later. I'm eyeing the Torro M16 halftrack and the awesome Elmod things you can do with it... so that's one thing to consider when making a shopping list.

Can anyone help me fill a shopping list? For RCing-up the Flower Class first?

TTFN,
    Rob
    Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

*tumbleweeds* 'ello? Is this part of the forum dead, or is everybody just not that into boats and/or helping people?
    Sherman M4A3 105mm Houwitser / Sherman Firefly IC *under construction* / Panzer IV *awaiting side-grade from TK7.0S to TK6.0S* / Stug III / King Tiger / KV-1 *awaiting upgrade to TK6.0S* / Tiger I / T34-85 / Leopard 2A6 *waiting upgrade to TK7.0*... No, I do not have a problem....

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1970 View Post
      *tumbleweeds* 'ello? Is this part of the forum dead, or is everybody just not that into boats and/or helping people?
      This part of the forum is usually dead. I would love to help, but unfortunately I have no clue when it comes to boats. Maybe try over at RC Groups?

Comment

I cruse this part every so often but was out of state for 2 weeks.
        I'd recommend spectrum radios (why... its what I got and works great) Of the new radios really any of the ones that will bind receivers rather than single frequency are pretty good and it'll be worth the investment though do make sure you aren't trying to bind at the same time as someone else that can make for interesting moments on a flight-line.
        Just make one of the kids walk you through the options. Once you figure out what you can do with it you'll like the newfangled thing.
        Some of those things include reversing servo throw with a single setting change rather than a rewire, adding a little elevator automatically when you drop flaps on a plane, telling a servo to increase or decrease its throw a bit(depending on servo and settings), combining channels (ie ailerons and rudder work together on a single command) together or setting them up so you flip a switch and then they are mixed/combined and you can adjust how much they are combined. There are a lot of possibilities it's all in how far you want to dig into the setups. And even if you don't dig too deep into settings they work pretty good.
        And for saving different models it's pretty nice not to have to re adjust the mixing for a F-4U's flaps every time you decided to fly a Carbon Cub or throw a Fletcher on the water and then need to re-adjust the throttle range back to 100% which if you do get a plane in the air would get pretty awkward very quick. Some of the newer ones I've seen you can add a SD card too to save even more models mine is 10 years old and holds 20 which for the most part covers my needs but I can see where it would be useful.

For ESC/Motor combo's... Sorry don't know quite enough to make a worthwhile recommendation.
        Hilldebrandt's recommendation is probably on the point about where to ask for that and there are some dedicated rc boat forums out there that are better to check out for shaft and running gear advice.

Comment

Working...
        X