Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice

Comment

So I bought a real aluminum tube with the proper size...It's as scale as you could get looks-wise. It's thicker than I prefer and ultimately heavier (0.7 lbs). However since this is a leisure hobby and not planning on racing it shouldn't matter. Now I have to figure out the ring thing in the middle and it should work!

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (2).jpg
Views:	103
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	397143

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	85
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	397144

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	397145
      My YouTube RC videos:
      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

What about an auto exhaust place.. he could cut a 2mm price off an offcut.. with same inside diameter as your outside diameter. Take him 3 seconds.
        Should b free far as I'm concerned. Just a thought.

Comment

Guys why not buy a light thin sheet of aluminum from Lowes and roll it. The last thing you want with an 1/8th scale hydro is it tail heavy. Its a fast electric boat weight only drives the amperage up to push the boat. You do not want a heavy tail because the super cavitating surface piecing prop has to work harder to lift the transom of the boat which should be well out of the water on plane.. Don't make this harder than it needs to be. That thick pipe is truly too much. Its not just about speed to run well the CG is important for it to run correctly as a hydro PLANE.. It flies across the water with the front sponson trailing edges . and just the tip of the prop in the water.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20240214_205943.jpg Views:	0 Size:	58.3 KB ID:	397159
          State-of-the-art PMSM/BLDC motor control solution for aerospace applications and robotics - Télega - Zubax Robotics
          Advanced Power Drives

MOTORS FOR RC SURFACE VEHICLES - NEU RACING​​​

Comment

Great point.... . Then he could roll it so it fits internally. .. in 2 mm of his current piece. Join on the bottom Click image for larger version

Name:	17079680659697302989541819151420.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	397165

Will see if my friend has a pic of his boat. Hers his first top it was way heavy. So he made another...
            This section is about18 inches long Click image for larger version

Views:	87
ID:	397166 Click image for larger version

Views:	81
ID:	397167

Comment

Woops 3 of the same. Mr teck not..

Comment

What does he have a gas drag hydro?
                State-of-the-art PMSM/BLDC motor control solution for aerospace applications and robotics - Télega - Zubax Robotics
                Advanced Power Drives

Comment

Yes he put adapted a chain saw petrol motor.. but. It would not get up on plane.. just pushed water... Too heavy..... Going ring him now c if he can send me some pics... It's an awsome. Thing

Comment

The other thing you can do is contact Dumas model and inquire will they sell you the turbine stack components from a circus circus kit.
                    Advanced Power Drives

Comment

Pics Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20240215_170921.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	397176 Click image for larger version

Views:	75
ID:	397177

Comment

I painted this maybe 10 years ago

Comment

Very good points Clugh. You are 100% correct. That's just way too heavy. I'll go the aluminum roll route or paint the Smart Water bottle aluminum. It's a perfect fit.
                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by f4u ausie View Post
                            Pics Click image for larger version

Views:	93
ID:	397176 Click image for larger version

Views:	75
ID:	397177
                            Nice.
                            Advanced Power Drives

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                              Very good points Clugh. You are 100% correct. That's just way too heavy. I'll go the aluminum roll route or paint the Smart Water bottle aluminum. It's a perfect fit.
                              What is the diameter you need?
                              Advanced Power Drives

Comment

Originally posted by Clugh View Post

What is the diameter you need?
                                It appears to be 2.75 in. (7 cm).
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post

It appears to be 2.75 in. (7 cm).
                                  Approximately how long does it need to be?
                                  Advanced Power Drives

Comment

Also....Is the rear deck recessed to accept the stack at an angle? You have to have something to mount the stack to. The deck is preferable unless you plan to attach it to the cowl as to make it all one piece. I cant really tell from the photos. Let me get you a photo so i can show you what I mean. The set up would be different than a nitro because most FE want it truly sealed off in the real area. In a nitro you have to have an opening somewhere rear deck or transom for the tuned pipe and stinger baffle.

BTW its not my boat so ill roll with all your ideas but IMHO its too nice of a boat to do the smart water bottle. You have a chance if you don't cut any corners to have a really really nice scale boat However I don't want you to feel that I feel it has to be what I say and denounce all your own ideas. I just hope you consider the rolled sheet and trimming with the rolled band. You can make it look really scale there. The guys in your club will love it. I would too but however it goes I'm sure it will be a beautiful boat. Are you going to let your painter apply the vinyl work?
                                    Advanced Power Drives

Comment

Originally posted by Clugh View Post
                                      Also....Is the rear deck recessed to accept the stack at an angle? You have to have something to mount the stack to. The deck is preferable unless you plan to attach it to the cowl as to make it all one piece. I cant really tell from the photos. Let me get you a photo so i can show you what I mean. The set up would be different than a nitro because most FE want it truly sealed off in the real area. In a nitro you have to have an opening somewhere rear deck or transom for the tuned pipe and stinger baffle.

BTW its not my boat so ill roll with all your ideas but IMHO its too nice of a boat to do the smart water bottle. You have a chance if you don't cut any corners to have a really really nice scale boat However I don't want you to feel that I feel it has to be what I say and denounce all your own ideas. I just hope you consider the rolled sheet and trimming with the rolled band. You can make it look really scale there. The guys in your club will love it. I would too but however it goes I'm sure it will be a beautiful boat. Are you going to let your painter apply the vinyl work?
                                      First off, the length of the Smart Bottle (including lip) is just over 10". I truly appreciate your thoughts and commentary and in fact expertise on the matter. Your info and input has been invaluable! Before I read your post I had already spent some time today gathering the pieces to make it as scale as I can. The photos below will document my progress. One thing I LOVE about the Smart Water bottle is it is the EXACT size I need. I cut off and sanded the bottom. The lip piece sticks inside the cowl where you wouldn't see it and the plan is to glue it to the cowl so it becomes one piece.

I went to Home Depot and found a part that will work brilliantly as that center ring piece. If you notice the first photo, you will see the mistake many Pak owners make is that they mistakenly think the turbine tube is chrome or silver (or don't care). It's actually a darker bronze. I have checked multiple photos of the real thing and indeed it is of a darker bronze shade not chrome or bright aluminum. Scale appeal matters to me as I am sure it does you too.

I'm super pleased of how it's turning out but I am certainly still open to something as an alternative if it can be even better? As for the decals, the painter will be turning the boat over to me this week for me to lay down all the decals, then I will return it to him for the clear coats, and then she's done! So here's the photos...

Attached Files
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Well that went over like a lead balloon.

When I tried to epoxy the ring to the tube it made a huge mess and I had to throw it out. I will need to re-sand the tube and repaint. I found a new ring to try out which might work better:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5589.jpg Views:	0 Size:	47.2 KB ID:	397396
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

• If it doesn’t slide onto the tube like a ring on a finger (as it’s the same diameter as the bottle diameter) I can dremel a cut to expand it slightly to fit and then it should be easy to apply a couple of small points of glue to keep it in place.

If that doesn’t work I’m at a loss, lol.
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X