You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery types. Differences, advantages/disadvantages of each type......

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery types. Differences, advantages/disadvantages of each type......

Can somebody explain the advantages/disadvantages of each type of battery for our tanks ? Running time, charging time, service life, precautions, etc. ? I know some folks swear by one type over the others for different reasons. Personally, I run 3800ah NIMH batteries in all of my tanks, and am quite satisfied with them on all counts. For instance, I have seen postings stating that LIPOS can be hazardous if attention is not paid when charging. I just want a good understanding of the different types, and why some types are favored over the others.

Lithium Polymers if overcharged can burst into flame. A charger with balance leads will reduce this to near zero. If they are run down below their minimum recommended voltage, it can damage cells which in the future can cause an imbalance when being charged can further damage or destroy the pack. They are very energy dense, so are favored in r/c airplanes.

Lithium Ions are less prone to flameouts, never known one to do so. The LiIons we use in tanks will cut power when voltage reaches a minimum. Typically they don't produce as much peak power as Lipos, which isn't as critical for ground vehicles.

Nickel Metal Hydrides are heavier for power produced than the former two, and can be larger for a given capacity but not always.

NONE of this is absolute, and only scrapes the surface. I like LiIon for tanks, but that's a personal preference

Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

Comment

Working...
    X