You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M26 Pershing

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    Hiya, AB. The Pershings are few and far between. They probably shouldn't be the first tank to build up - mine I had to cobble together from many sources. A static tank from Toucan, a Multi Function Board and a speaker from a buddy, IR bulb and receiver from sellers, decals and stores from other sellers, and quite a few other details. But they are cool looking!

    Each tank will be different, but here's the way I added the IR receiver to the M26:

    The way it comes, with the commander.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1351.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	308693

    A hole drilled in the well, wires routed from the MFB, plugged into the IR Rx.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1348.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	308694

    The Rx, with the PVC pipe segment, fits into the well. I don't glue it, so I can remove and use it in another tank
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1349.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	308695
    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

    Comment


    • #22
      Awesome pics; just finished reading ”Spearhead” - the story of the crew that eventually nailed the Panther in front of Cologne Cathedral in their Pershing. Now of course a WWII M26 is a cool one to have!

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by Nfafan View Post
        Awesome pics; just finished reading ”Spearhead” - the story of the crew that eventually nailed the Panther in front of Cologne Cathedral in their Pershing. Now of course a WWII M26 is a cool one to have!
        I'm listening to "Spearhead" on Audible, as I drive around. Excellent story, I recommend it to our fellow tankheads!
        Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

        Comment


        • #24
          Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
          Progress: static kit from Toucan, MFU 6.0 and IR LED circuits and a speaker added, decals from Archer Fine Transfers. Korea? Vietnam? Still needs some toning of the weathering and the addition of stores carried externally - boxes, tarps, etc.
          Bob, excellent job! Any painting and weathering tips that you can share? I am doing another upgrade of the 2005 Pershing I have. TK6.0S, latest HL bearing gearbox with 390. I am still keeping the Mato metal track and trying to keep it from de-tracking. Some minor upgrade such as 2 Mato machine guns. I plan to repaint and weather before putting it back together.

          Comment


          • #25
            Keilau, there’s no one way to paint & weather. I just checked YouTube and picked the methods I liked. This tank was my first attempt with dry pigments from AK. Both dry application and white spirit solution. Sponge application of dark brown acrylic paint for wear spots. AK iron paste for bare metal rub spots. Spray the tracks with silver if they’re plastic, then earth brown paint and dust pigment. There’s more details, but that’s the overall process.
            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

            Comment


            • #26
              Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
              Keilau, there’s no one way to paint & weather. I just checked YouTube and picked the methods I liked. This tank was my first attempt with dry pigments from AK. Both dry application and white spirit solution. Sponge application of dark brown acrylic paint for wear spots. AK iron paste for bare metal rub spots. Spray the tracks with silver if they’re plastic, then earth brown paint and dust pigment. There’s more details, but that’s the overall process.
              Bob, thank you. I have been using tricks I learned from Fine Scale Modeler on smaller scale tanks. I did a lot of mechanical and electrical upgrades of the Henglong. I will be trying to dress up a 1:16 scale for the first time.

              Comment


              • #27
                That battle with the panther is famous of course. One of my model RR friends who passed last year from the Chicom Wuhan Virus was the son of the US Army signal corpsman who filmed that shoot out. It was pretty cool to get him talking and relaying his fathers stories.

                Did you know there were only about 20 Pershings sent into ETO and at the objection of the armor board because they felt the tank really wasn’t ready yet. It proved good for Europe but their fears came to light and showed up in Korea, resulting in a complete recall for redesign into the M46 Patton.

                Comment


                • #28
                  I read some about the development. I used USMC decals on mine so I could battle those nasty T-34's! One Youtube video showed them driving up a 30 degree ramp so they could be used as long range artillery. Your bulldozer Sherman could make a ramp like that!
                  Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Yes it could.
                    FYI I have a bunch of the red tiger face decals for Korea as well as some Pershing decals for Korea I’m likely to not use.

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      i know this is an old thread hopefully some one can help me
                      ive just bought one that doesnt have smoke or front machine gun with led is it possible too add these bits or would i need another circuit board to work the smoke and gun ?

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Originally posted by mrmetallica View Post
                        i know this is an old thread hopefully some one can help me
                        ive just bought one that doesnt have smoke or front machine gun with led is it possible too add these bits or would i need another circuit board to work the smoke and gun ?
                        It would help to know what generation of Pershing since there have been at least 4 now. The first 2 are very different then the last 2.

                        A photo of your remote control would be a big help at getting you a solid answer. But even if it was a first generation Pershing you could strip it down and add the latest electronics and smoke systems.

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          Originally posted by Rubicon99 View Post

                          It would help to know what generation of Pershing since there have been at least 4 now. The first 2 are very different then the last 2.

                          A photo of your remote control would be a big help at getting you a solid answer. But even if it was a first generation Pershing you could strip it down and add the latest electronics and smoke systems.
                          i dont know what version it is i picked it up in a charity shop for £3 lol and there wasnt a controller is there a way to find out

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            Originally posted by RichJohnson View Post
                            Yes it could.
                            FYI I have a bunch of the red tiger face decals for Korea as well as some Pershing decals for Korea I’m likely to not use.
                            Hey Rich....your post is almost 2 years old, but do you still have those Tiger Face decals? I'm planning on my HVSS Sherman to be of Korean War vintage.
                            Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Originally posted by mrmetallica View Post

                              i dont know what version it is i picked it up in a charity shop for £3 lol and there wasnt a controller is there a way to find out
                              Show us some photos, especially of the interior.
                              Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

                              Comment


                              • #35

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  @mrmetallica​, your tank is a first generation Pershing with plastic gearbox. I have upgraded a 2005 Pershing to HL 6.0S radio and Taigen gearbox with no problems. I first upgraded it to HL 2.4GHz version 5.3 awhile ago. Last year I upgraded to HL 6.0S, Taigen version 2 ball bearings gearbox. The metal track is a HL one with added inside rubber pads.
                                  Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4959.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.0 KB ID:	373852Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.3 KB ID:	373853Click image for larger version  Name:	magnet1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.4 KB ID:	373854

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    As keilau said, it's an early Heng Long brand M26 Pershing. HL called it a Snow Leopard, hence the decal. You'll need a HL transmitter and main board. A new HL version 7.0 setup can cost $80 to $100 in the US. HL version 6.0 setup can cost $60 or so, but they're getting scarce. You then will need to do your own wiring. You can find schematics online, or if you buy a new setup there'll be an instruction sheet with it. The board includes the receiver, and will control the two movement motors, the rotation and elevation motors in the turret and if your tank is a pellet shooting version, the airsoft gun. A piece of advice, don't buy anything earlier, such as 5.3 version or RX18 I think it's called. They're much cruder and you wouldn't be happy.

                                    I recommend you buy the bare minimum components for now. No need for metal upgrade tracks or aftermarket gearboxes until you know what you already have works. The plastic gears can become brittle, the motors could have burned out, and even the body itself may have degraded and could break under use. Also, before you start spending money to renovate this tank, compare the costs involved with the price of a new one. You may find that a renovation isn't cost effective. It appears that some of the external details like a hatch and stowage bins missing.

                                    Now, if you're intent on making this a "scrounge project", you can always look for used stuff online. I'm guessing based on your post you're in the UK. A UK forum called "RC Tank Warfare" would have good local resources for your project. However, they're often focused on "rivet counting" scale accuracy, so you may encounter some condescending responses.

                                    If you persevere, the Pershing can make up into a real gem. Just be warned, tanks are like potato chips, you can't ever have just one! However you proceed, good luck.

                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	373863
                                    Twenty six tanks, and not done yet!

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Originally posted by keilau View Post
                                      @mrmetallica​, your tank is a first generation Pershing with plastic gearbox. I have upgraded a 2005 Pershing to HL 6.0S radio and Taigen gearbox with no problems. I first upgraded it to HL 2.4GHz version 5.3 awhile ago. Last year I upgraded to HL 6.0S, Taigen version 2 ball bearings gearbox. The metal track is a HL one with added inside rubber pads.
                                      Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_4959.jpg Views:	0 Size:	224.0 KB ID:	373852Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_5123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.3 KB ID:	373853Click image for larger version Name:	magnet1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.4 KB ID:	373854
                                      thank you for your help ill just use it for display

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        Originally posted by SoCalBobS View Post
                                        As keilau said, it's an early Heng Long brand M26 Pershing. HL called it a Snow Leopard, hence the decal. You'll need a HL transmitter and main board. A new HL version 7.0 setup can cost $80 to $100 in the US. HL version 6.0 setup can cost $60 or so, but they're getting scarce. You then will need to do your own wiring. You can find schematics online, or if you buy a new setup there'll be an instruction sheet with it. The board includes the receiver, and will control the two movement motors, the rotation and elevation motors in the turret and if your tank is a pellet shooting version, the airsoft gun. A piece of advice, don't buy anything earlier, such as 5.3 version or RX18 I think it's called. They're much cruder and you wouldn't be happy.

                                        I recommend you buy the bare minimum components for now. No need for metal upgrade tracks or aftermarket gearboxes until you know what you already have works. The plastic gears can become brittle, the motors could have burned out, and even the body itself may have degraded and could break under use. Also, before you start spending money to renovate this tank, compare the costs involved with the price of a new one. You may find that a renovation isn't cost effective. It appears that some of the external details like a hatch and stowage bins missing.

                                        Now, if you're intent on making this a "scrounge project", you can always look for used stuff online. I'm guessing based on your post you're in the UK. A UK forum called "RC Tank Warfare" would have good local resources for your project. However, they're often focused on "rivet counting" scale accuracy, so you may encounter some condescending responses.

                                        If you persevere, the Pershing can make up into a real gem. Just be warned, tanks are like potato chips, you can't ever have just one! However you proceed, good luck.

                                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1363.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	294.4 KB
ID:	373863
                                        thank you. your tank looks awesome il just use mine for display

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          i tested the motors today and all seems to work including the bb shooting mechanism

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X