You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ugly Baby...

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ugly Baby...

    What do you get when you mate an M551 Sheridan and an M41 Bulldog?

    You get a T49. Since it was an experimental project I will have some creative license with it. I'm not going to bother narrowing or fixing the major flaws with the Bulldog hull. It's just a fun, simple conversion project.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1099 (2).jpg
Views:	299
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	375689

  • #2
    Should rename it the "Ninja Turtle" tank project.

    Comment


    • #3
      I couldn't get gray PETG from one of the brands I like so I ended up with green...

      Comment


      • #4
        beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

        Comment


        • #5
          Wanted some low hanging fruit and I got it (as in a non-complicated build). Installed the recoil, Taigen High Intensity Flash, and the servo elevation. Still need to install the MG LED and the IR LED. Also got the ammo boxes printed and mocked up in place. I need to fabricate some glass panels for the commander's cupula.



          All I needed to adapt the turret to the HL rotation was to remove the ring from the old M41, drill a few holes in the Sheridan turret floor, add some M3 10mm long standoffs and it was good to go.



          Finished up the days work with an installation of a smaller Visaton speaker in a box, added the receiver, added the volume adjuster, soldered in the new XT60 connector, extended the motor wiring, and installed the Clark TK50SP. All the components were velcro'd to the hull after removing the battery box and pouring about 4oz of resin in the hull for support. Everything tested good.


          Derek

          Comment


          • #6
            Got some further work done on this guy also. I cut and shaped all the glass pieces for the commander's cupola fashioned from some 1/8" acrylic sheet I had. Each window had to be hand fit after cutting to a rough shape.





            Also got the IR battle system installed. I installed the IR LED in the optics tube, but lengthened it a little to get a proper 9-10mm setback for the LED.





            Close to final wiring layout done. I'm having issues with the LEDs that came with the tank drawing too much current. Only half of them turn on. I have some micro LEDs I'm going to swap in to see if that solves the problem.

            Comment


            • #7
              Finally made a little more progress on this guy. The smoke dischargers had printed kinda rough so I reprinted them in ASA. They came out much better. The whole turret was primered so I removed the cupola glass. I'll reinstall it after the painting and weathering is done. This was just supposed to be a fun little build without much thought toward accuracy as it was just an experimental tank. It's just kind of a "what if".

              Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1418.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	406937
              I replaced the tool box handles with a resin 3D printed version I found on Cults3D. The US used the same tool box handles on the M41, the Pershing, and the Abrams. There are probably others. https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/art/...le-pre-support

              Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1423.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	122.3 KB
ID:	406941

              Closer shot of the Vietnam era .50 cal ammo boxes I also found on Cults3D and printed them in resin. I used some small strips of masking tape to make the straps. The buckles are metal and came from a scale horse website. The loops used to secure the ammo boxes to the turret were also found on Cults3D and printed in resin.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1421.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	406939

              The commander's hatches printed really poorly in filament so I reprinted them in resin. When closed they still cover up the apple mount.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1424.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	406940

              I also applied some cold bluing to the metal tracks. I'm not a real stickler for tracks as they get weathered the first time it's outside in the dirt.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	101_1425.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	406938

              That's all for now...

              Comment

              Working...
              X