Bunker 27 - USAF Veteran Owned Apparel Company

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whos going to build a scale heli?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Whos going to build a scale heli?

    The title says it all. Who is going to try out a scale heli when Motion gets them in? Im excited to pick one up and build a scale heli again. Ive build at least 14 Roban scale helis and have to say the entire experience from start to finish is fun. You get a lot of detail and paint for the price.

    Anybody have any scale heli related questions let me know. Ive built the Roban scale helis in 250-700 size in a few different models.

  • #2
    I have a scale heli waiting to be completed... Blade SR + UH-1 body. but never could fly the SR for beans.

    What's the easiest to install auto-stabilization system for an appx 500 mm rotor dia with flybar head CCPM?
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

    current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

    Comment


    • #3
      I will definitely be building a few of these in the future, very excited that Motion is carrying them now. Will either start out with the 429, or the Cobra. One cool thing for me, is the scheme for the red and black 429 is actually one of our birds up at the Bell Training Academy.

      These will have to wait a bit though for me to finish up existing projects. On the bench now I have a 600 OH-58, 500 UH-1C, 500 H-34D, and a 470 Bell 407.

      Originally posted by fhhuber View Post
      I have a scale heli waiting to be completed... Blade SR + UH-1 body. but never could fly the SR for beans.

      What's the easiest to install auto-stabilization system for an appx 500 mm rotor dia with flybar head CCPM?
      Very nice FH, finding a lightweight unit that supports flybar is a bit tricky though. The Micro Spirit is the only one I know of off the top of my head: http://store.spirit-system.com/en/fl...0-uspirit.html.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes ! It is on the list. AH-64


        Comment


        • #5
          I've said before I'd like to convert my Blade 550x into a scale something?? I'm thinking Airwolf.....but they are very common, or maybe a civilian heli......either way now motion has them I might just get off the ground this time with the project!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Porkster View Post
            I've said before I'd like to convert my Blade 550x into a scale something?? I'm thinking Airwolf.....but they are very common, or maybe a civilian heli......either way now motion has them I might just get off the ground this time with the project!!
            The MD500 is the most versatile and acceptable 600 fuselage to get a 550/600 class heli into. Ill be picking one up to try and fit my Synergy E5 into. Prob wont be easy as Synergys have wider frames and servos that stick out the side but Im up for a challenge. One of the best parts of scale helis is the modding and build process. Makes you become a model builder!

            Comment


            • #7
              I would love to except that all the manufacturers left seem to be doing nothing but 3d stuff. The days of the economical and reliable sport or scale helicopter seem to be over. Even HK seems to be slowly disposing of their heli stuff.
              Maybe if we had a decent set of reliable mechanics with a belt tail...that "super scale" roban stuff was not good....maybe I would build one. I really miss the days of the Century Hawk, Swift, Rappy, to name a few.
              Of the scale bodies that you can find, most are either power eggs, airwolf, or a109. And that's if you can find one.
              Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Chris Reibert View Post

                The MD500 is the most versatile and acceptable 600 fuselage to get a 550/600 class heli into. Ill be picking one up to try and fit my Synergy E5 into. Prob wont be easy as Synergys have wider frames and servos that stick out the side but Im up for a challenge. One of the best parts of scale helis is the modding and build process. Makes you become a model builder!
                Yes the eggs fly well, even do 3d if mounted right. Easy to build and fly and good start for anyone wanting to get into scale.

                Comment


                • #9
                  The eggs do fly well, here is my RCA G-Jive and my Century 500MD, I sold them all and got out of scale helis and into the FW EDF jets, hope to build a Roban Cobra or maybe an Apache.

                   

                  Comment


                  • #10
                     

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Very nice!!!!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If anyone is looking for some mechanics that will fit nicely in the newly arrived 500 scale fuselages you might be interested in this: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...bar-Helicopter. Saw it this morning, and its a smoking good deal for a trex 500 with servos, and the ESP fits very nicely in most scale fuselages. And if you sell off the head and motor, it's ripe for a multiblade conversion.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Got one on the way.....a blue G-Jive to go around my T-Rex 500!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Got one on the way.....a blue G-Jive to go around my T-Rex 500!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I love the "egg" MD500 series. I'm hoping for an AH-6... perhaps someone can put together a big one and post pictures for me to drool over.

                              Toothbuzz, which flight controller are you running in your T-rex 500?

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                I have to say, I am not a heli guy in the least but these Roban scale helis are giving me serious pause. I may have to get my hands on a 450 or 500 Apache or Little Bird. I will have to get over the "Flying Chainsaw" thing,
                                Aros.MotionRC
                                Motion RC Website/Advertising
                                Self-Admitted Warbirdaholic

                                My RC videos on YouTube:
                                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

                                My soul is in the sky.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  The eggs really are fantastic flyers, my 500 AH-6 is easily one of my all time favorites to fly, and was converted from one of the Roban civilian fuselages. If anyone is interested, Id be happy to post a write up on doing the conversion, including conversion to multiblade head and CCW rotation.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                    I have to say, I am not a heli guy in the least but these Roban scale helis are giving me serious pause. I may have to get my hands on a 450 or 500 Apache or Little Bird. I will have to get over the "Flying Chainsaw" thing,
                                    They are a lot of fun and rewarding for sure! As for the "chainsaw" factor, it gets a lot less intimidating when you see a heli flown sedately and scale. Another great benefit of helis are that landing is this the easy part! Since you are setting down from a hover, you're a lot less likely to bust up gear, and can take small birds flying at the local park.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Yeah I think for my first dozen flights I would probably stand about 100 feet away.
                                      Aros.MotionRC
                                      Motion RC Website/Advertising
                                      Self-Admitted Warbirdaholic

                                      My RC videos on YouTube:
                                      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

                                      My soul is in the sky.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Scale flying doesn't mean sedate. Nor does it mean slow. It does, however, mean smooth. Good mechanical building and regular checks plus common sense go a long way towards safety.

                                        3
                                        Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X