X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 500 size UH-1C Huey - 174th AHC

For quite a while, I've wanted to model one of the Shark-mouth Huey Gunships of the 174th AHC. I am planning on configuring this bird with the Mk5 Thumper up front, and the older style 7-shot rocket pods:

After several months of waiting, I just received my 500 UH-1C Fuselage from PKM, so its time to get started. I already had a few of the parts waiting at the ready, including a microhelis scale head, and some zeal 500mm blades modified with the Huey's signature squared off blade tips. The cockpit and pilot shown were purchased from another forum, and are a perfect fit in the airframe. Overall first impressions of the airframe are very good, surface detail is great, but lacking in a few key areas. The door sliding tracks, steps, and fuel caps are not present, and will have to be added later. Stay tuned for more progress..

The first thing I got to work on was the rocket pods. Ok, maybe it's not the most important thing to start on, but you can't have a gunship without them! I picked up some 9/32" aluminum tube and some 11/32" brass tube. After a few hours of cutting and gluing lots of tubes, its starting to look like a rocket pod:

Also did some research and found the flight manual for the UH-1C. Planning on 3D printing the panel as soon as the model is finished:

Comment

Looking forward to this. :Cool:

Comment

That’s gonna be sweet!

Comment

Yep, nothing beats a good old
          Huey!!

Comment

Hi there..can I know where u get that scale body?

Comment

Thanks guys, it going to be fun project!

Originally posted by Akubudaklaut View Post
              Hi there..can I know where u get that scale body?
              Hi there, it is a custom built fuselage from PKM (Phuket Hobby Model). Best way to get in contact with them is through email at phukethobbymodel@gmail.com.

Comment

Ok..thks man..

Comment

Did you do the scale rivets? or did it come that way?

Comment

Originally posted by JFandL View Post
                    Did you do the scale rivets? or did it come that way?
                    It came that way, was one of the finish options when I got it. Still missing some major features on the surface finish, but since I’ll be putting the doors in the open position, it shouldn’t be too much of an issue. Spent the last couple days getting things set up on the mechanics. The frame is an HK-500TT with all gears and such have been replaced with Trex 500 ESP parts and I'm using a Roban raised tail gearbox. Target headspeed will be around 1800, and will play around with different pinions depending on tail authority. Should have plenty of lifting power at lower speeds with the 500mm blades so long as the tail cooperates.
                    Specs so far:
                    Motor: Savox BSM3750 1200KV
                    ESC: Castle Edge 100A
                    Battery: 6S 4000mah
                    Cyclic servos: DS515M
                    Tail Servo: DS8910A+
                    FBL: iKon2 FBL

Comment

could you post a picture of the Roban tail box?? Would love to see if its now like the old heliartist type

Comment

could you post a picture of the Roban tail box?? Would love to see if its now like the old heliartist type
                        I believe it is the same as the heli artist version, here’s a photo.

Comment

Oh Yeah they did it!!! makes my day. Thank you.

Comment

Haven’t had much time to work on this, but I’ve started on the basics. Glued in a 1/4” plywood base over the gear mounts, with will serve as the mounting point for the mechanics. Also finished installing all the servos and electronics within the mechanics. Tonight, I installed a Freewing light controller and some of the LEDs from the 90mm F-16, and they are super bright! Still have to install white lights on either side of the tailcone, and the beacon above the engine.

Comment

Nice. I have a turnigy lighting system to put in mine.
                              Meridian Aeromodelers, Meridian MS

Comment

Yes the lights are very bright, going to look good in the air. I've started on my 500 T-Rex mechanics for the build for a new UH-1B. Should be ready to test fly the mechanics by next week. Then all the real fun stuff starts again . ROFL

John

Comment

Yes the lights are very bright, going to look good in the air. I've started on my 500 T-Rex mechanics for the build for a new UH-1B. Should be ready to test fly the mechanics by next week. Then all the real fun stuff starts again . ROFL

John
                                  Looking forward to seeing it John, your last UH-1B was beautiful!

Made some more progress on the Huey today. Installed the roof antennas and pitot probe, completed rivet work in a few missing spots (mostly the entire underside). After some primer to seal over the rivets, I couldn't resist shooting some OD on, and painting the glade shield on the nose. Still have to work on a few more airframe details before continuing paint, but its starting to get there. I need to install the "towel rack" VHF antennas on the tail, add the tail stinger, and am considering a rework on the H-stabs. The manufacturer appears to have put B model sized stabs on, and they aren't perfectly aligned. The C had a much larger chord than the B, so I might try extending them with balsa and FG. Also looking at adding the cargo hook on the bottom, it's too prominent of a feature for me to omit from the airframe.

Comment

Another fine bit of workmanship there, Delta. She's lookin' good! :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                                      Another fine bit of workmanship there, Delta. She's lookin' good! :Cool:
                                      Thanks Prowler! Hoping to have something flyable by Helis Over Apache Pass in 2 weeks.

Comment

After a full day of work, the mechanics have been set up, programmed, hovered, and installed in the airframe. Also installed the tail position lights and flashing beacon. Still have solve a few issues, but maiden flight should be soon! Then I will be working on getting the paint work finished up, and doors/windshields mounted.

Comment

Working...
                                        X