X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
    We're encouraged to see there's so much anticipation for these helos, the UH1 in particular. I think Ride of the Valkyries plays in all our heads whenever we see one of those birds. Buh Buhbuh Baah Bah, Buh Buhbuh Baaaaaah Bah....

We've got lots going on in the background, as Tom mentioned earlier. As is always our primary focus, we're careful to take the time necessary to get things right before we make any product available for purchase on our website, especially one as intricate and complex as a fiberglass bodied gyro stabilized sport scale helicopter. Our priority is that when any new product is made available for purchase, you'd agree your wait was well worth it and your money well spent.

All in good time, friends, all in good time.

While we continue with our final preparations, we've always been working with a core group of hobbyists to begin creating economical scale 3DP add-ons for all six of these upcoming 450 sized helicopters. Cosmetics, lights, etc. The big 800 size scalers shouldn't get to have all the fun!

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180907_143256.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.7 KB ID:	150480
    Well, as far as the Huey's concerned, you guy's would beat the last one made near that size on a bad day. I hear the Blade one pretty much shook itself apart. Now as far as the Airwolf, those were Walkera birds, so the standard's higher than Blade's.

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Well I'm beginning to think it's going to be longer than I anticipated, so you better get out the lawn implements before a citation eats up you helo cash.
      Im just more worried about charlie lurking in the grass

Comment

Originally posted by Grady.c View Post

Im just more worried about charlie lurking in the grass
        Well maybe you need to tell your neighbor to keep their cat out of your yard.:)

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

Well maybe you need to tell your neighbor to keep their cat out of your yard.:)
          He liked the small one, not once its big brother comes from motion.

Comment

I wonder how much of this program is getting setback due to weather preventing QC flights?

Comment

I wonder if there will be options on flight gear? Servo's, controller's, ect?

Comment

Originally posted by JFandL View Post
                I wonder if there will be options on flight gear? Servo's, controller's, ect?
                I'm wondering if I'll have an Airwolf to put under the Christmas tree THIS year.

Comment

JFandL, as PNPs, the servos/motor/ESC are pre-installed. We've tested a range of electronics and the final ones we chose are mission specific for the price point. Fast, precise, consistent, economical, and above all reliable.

As for the flight controller, we're also pre-installing, configuring, and filming to verify that each helo flies out of the box.

Along the path to developing this new series, we've also made some tweaks to the original 450 bodies as well. I could see a future where we made those bodies available if pilots wanted to install their existing 450 mechanics with their preferred electronics/DC equipment into the empty body. It is quite literally just four screws for the fuselage connection, and taking the tail off. Ten minutes total or so?

We're unsure exactly what proportion of the market will want to setup their helo themselves. The primary target market as mentioned in the preview video is pilots who have experience flying helos but want to quickly make the step up toward larger helos without the downtime of a potentially laborious setup. I recognize there will always be guys like me who prefer to DIY, so for us, there's the potential ARF option.

Chime in on what you all would like to see. You know we're always listening.

Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Duplicate post

Comment

Weather certainly doesn't always cooperate, Valk, you're right about that! But weather is just one of the many, many factors at play here. Suffice to say that as with our jets and prop plane projects, we're focused on doing all the hard work *before* these are made available for purchase on the website so our customers can fly with confidence. When the cookies are ready, they'll be ready.

In the meantime, we're building out the scale 3DPUP options that will be made available as free .STL file downloads when the Series is released. Antennas, pitot tubes, searchlights, floats, bearclaws, cosmetic winches, pilot figures... much of these are already complete. Our helo advisers have been invaluable in providing references and input so I'm excited to unveil the fruits of their hard work soon.

If any of you have a request for scale 3DPUPs, specifically for the UH-1, post it here and we'll consider it. While the UH-1 arrives with an included Rescue livery decal set, it is unapplied so modelers could apply a different decal set from Callie if they so chose. An example below is a rocket pod we've 3D printed. Technically it's from a Slick (attack UH-1) and, the 450's side door cannot be modded to be open, but this isn't Scale Masters. We're simply trying to increase thein fun factor and playability of this 450 SportScale Series.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180922_163809.jpg Views:	5 Size:	93.8 KB ID:	152818 ​​​​​

We're also open to scale ideas for the MD500D. There aren't too many surface cosmeticof greeblies on this aircraft aside from some antennas and a searchlight, which we've already completed. Any requests?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180922_164529.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.2 KB ID:	152819

For reference, the foldable spotlight seen at the rear of the AS350 is the same 3DPUP that can be installed on the MD500D and the A109. More details to follow, including upgrade guides and personalization tips once the Series goes live.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180922_152018.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	152820
                      ​​

Comment

Weather certainly doesn't always cooperate, Valk, you're right about that! But weather is just one of the many, many factors at play here. Suffice to say that as with our jets and prop plane projects, we're focused on doing all the hard work *before* these are made available for purchase on the website so our customers can fly with confidence. When the cookies are ready, they'll be ready.

In the meantime, we're building out the scale 3DPUP options that will be made available as free .STL file downloads when the Series is released. Antennas, pitot tubes, searchlights, floats, bearclaws, cosmetic winches, pilot figures... much of these are already complete. Our helo advisers have been invaluable in providing references and input so I'm excited to unveil the fruits of their hard work soon.

If any of you have a request for scale 3DPUPs, specifically for the UH-1, post it here and we'll consider it. While the UH-1 arrives with an included Rescue livery decal set, it is unapplied so modelers could apply a different decal set from Callie if they so chose. An example below is a rocket pod we've 3D printed. Technically it's from a Slick (attack UH-1) and, the 450's side door cannot be modded to be open, but this isn't Scale Masters. We're simply trying to increase thein fun factor and playability of this 450 SportScale Series.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180922_163809.jpg Views:	5 Size:	93.8 KB ID:	152818 ​​​​​

We're also open to scale ideas for the MD500D. There aren't too many surface cosmeticof greeblies on this aircraft aside from some antennas and a searchlight, which we've already completed. Any requests?

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180922_164529.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.2 KB ID:	152819

For reference, the foldable spotlight seen at the rear of the AS350 is the same 3DPUP that can be installed on the MD500D and the A109. More details to follow, including upgrade guides and personalization tips once the Series goes live.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180922_152018.jpg Views:	1 Size:	113.7 KB ID:	152820
                        ​​
                        WAIT. You said floats. Would they actually work?

Comment

One more thing before I get all hyped up for this, would I be able to fly in my front yard? Its something 50x50 feet.

Comment

One more thing before I get all hyped up for this, would I be able to fly in my front yard? Its something 50x50 feet.
                            If you have enough heli experience that you can fly other CP choppers above 230 size confidently, I think it’s safe to say that it’s definitely possible. You would likely have to stick to slow flight and hover work in that kind of space though.

Comment

Depends on many factors, one of which is wind and the wind effects when it flows over houses, fences and other obstructions.

Fly a micro indoors near a central AC vent and let the AC come on,the AC's airflow can crash the micro heli.
                              Same idea with larger and outdoors. A wind gust swirling after it passes over the fence can flip your heli even with a good gyro.

Caution... wake turbulence.
                              FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

With only 50 feet square, you'd be limited to hovering and very slow circuits. It would probably get boring in short order. I'd also caution against flying in your front yard if outside that 50 foot square is another person's front yard. These helos are tuned to hover with small movements, but cover lots of ground in forward flight with larger movements quickly.

Comment

With only 50 feet square, you'd be limited to hovering and very slow circuits. It would probably get boring in short order. I'd also caution against flying in your front yard if outside that 50 foot square is another person's front yard. These helos are tuned to hover with small movements, but cover lots of ground in forward flight with larger movements quickly.
                                  Ive got a grass field just down the block for horses that is empty most of the year. Its bad for planes but good for helos.

Comment

WAIT. You said floats. Would they actually work?
                                    Yes, we have foam floats in testing. The jury is still out if we're going to release an adapter kit, or a set, or not. It's not so much a matter of if they work (they do) but rather to confirm that they're consistently safe for us to recommend to the mass market. Safety is our first concern.

Comment

Well I also have a lake.............
                                      Maybe I can put a tow rope on the huey and drag my float planes back to shore!

Comment

Now that I'd like to see! Have a remote disconnect servo or a magnetic joint that will separate if the load peaks above what the helo can handle, though!

​​​​​​We tried a winch but it was too heavy for this size helo. Having a mass swinging under a model this size is unpredictable and not recommended. Aside from LEDs and, spotlights, the other 3DPUPs are cosmetic to enhance scale appearance but not function.

Comment

Now that I'd like to see! Have a remote disconnect servo or a magnetic joint that will separate if the load peaks above what the helo can handle, though!

​​​​​​We tried a winch but it was too heavy for this size helo. Having a mass swinging under a model this size is unpredictable and not recommended. Aside from LEDs and, spotlights, the other 3DPUPs are cosmetic to enhance scale appearance but not function.
                                          Alpha, any idea when these little scalers are going to be available, I don't mean a certain day or date, like next spring or summer, maybe this winter?? Post some pics of the Huey if possible, that one will be my purchase. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                          X