X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha,

I asked this question awhile back and you probably didn't see it. I see you're back in the loop here, so I'll ask it again.

Can these heli's be flown in non-self-leveling (acro) mode, and if so, can the modes be selected in flight?

Thanks.

SuperDave

Comment

SuperDave, the helos use an unlocked open source Sparky 2.0 that is setup at the factory for ATTI (stabilized) mode. Users can toggle to RATE (unstabilized) mode, but that's intended more as a brief troubleshooting mode and we aren't envisioning pilots wanting to toggle to Rate and remain there for long periods while in-flight. It is possible, however. The reason why we encourage remaining in ATTI (stabilized) mode at all times is because as sport scale heavier loaded fiberglass bodied helicopters, these models are intended for scale-like flight only and are not intended for aggressive flying. The ATTI mode is configured to make hovering easy with small, short stick inputs, but still allow for fast acceleration into forward flight with larger, longer stick inputs, all without approaching the bank-angles which will run into clearance problems or otherwise overload the system.

All of these helos' Sparky 2.0s are open source, as mentioned above, so astute pilots can use LibrePilot to adjust the factory settings and experiment (of course that would void the warranty since there are thousands of possible permutations so you'd be on your own). All the other functionality of the Sparky 2.0 is available, just unused in the PNP. Telemetry, GPS, etc. We left those options in so pilots can DIY if they ever wanted, with an emphasis on that last letter. We chose the Sparky 2.0 because it is well documented online and there's a plethora of resources that a pilot could research him/herself if they wanted to tinker and take things to the next level beyond what we deliver from the factory as PNP. It's not unlike tinkering with the settings in a PNP airplane's ESC or installing different servos or modding the landing gear... owners can do what they want. The difference is that with a helicopter's flight controller, there are many, many more settings. In our Training Video we caution that anyone wanting to modify the stock PNP's flight controller settings must first save a backup copy of those settings, so they can revert to those settings if ever needed.

We are also considering offering a variety of "Modes" that can be downloaded or otherwise edited in one's PNP settings. For example, a "Slow" mode for strictly scale fliers, a "Sport" mode for more aggressive fliers, etc. I envision that type of functionality coming later as pilots make their recommendations. The beauty of this FC is that changes of this nature can be made with relative ease. But as of this writing, I would encourage pilots to hold off on plans for modding the helos, and wait until they actually fly the helos first with our factory settings. Throws, Rates and Expo can be adjusted in the radio as one would do with a normal Airplane, so actually a lot of responsiveness can be tweaked directly that way. Some pilots might find that a simple three way switch with different Throws, Rates and Expo is enough to give them the variety in flight behavior that they want, without having to ever plug their flight controller into a computer and load LibrePilot in the first place. Simpler.

DCorsair, we're naturally slow to quote availability dates for all our Projects in development, but especially on something like this which isn't just a new warbird or jet but is an entirely new Series of new Aircraft type in an entirely new Category, we are even more cautious about overselling expectations on ship dates. Neither we not anyone else really has ever launched a Multi-model, Fiberglass-bodied, PNP-d, Helicopter Series using Open-Source FC. Each of those capital letters adds complexity to the equation. Add to that the element of wanting to keep the competition guessing. Suffice to say, I don't anticipate these being a holiday release, but don't stray too far.

I'll post more photos of the UH-1 this week as some of the 3DPUPs are completed and photographed. Subscribe to the thread and I believe it will notify you when I post.

Thanks everyone, keep the questions coming!
      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
        Suffice to say, I don't anticipate these being a holiday release, but don't stray too far.
        I'm a little confused by this statement. Are you anticipating a release date before, or after Christmas?

Also, thanks for your detailed answer to my question about flight modes.

SuperDave

Comment

SuperDave, I don't *think* it will be before but I can't confirm that right now. Please stay subscribed to this thread and our YouTube channel for all the latest updates.

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

Post some pics of the Huey if possible, that one will be my purchase. Thanks
          Hi DCorsair, James posted some photos of the UH1 earlier but I can also share some of the 3DPUP options that we'll be making available for download when the series goes live online. If there is enough interest, we'll also explore the possibility of factory printing these sets for customers without a 3D printer or without the means to have the files printed locally or online.

The 3DPUPs are designed as cosmetic spiffs to enhance the look of one's model. Minor assembly with screws and painting is obviously required of the modeler him/herself. I painted the raw printed parts to show the beginning of what a modeler can achieve with hobby paints and some imagination. We're also working with Callie for a variety of decal sets. If anyone has any suggestions for other 3DPUPs or decal sets, please continue to either PM me or you can also post here.

Raw 3D print, using screws for attachments.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180924_214836.jpg Views:	2 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	153404

The 3DPUP Set consists (from left to right on the mat) of a Bracket piece, a Rocket piece and Mount piece (screwed together in this photo), a Minigun piece, a Minigun Arm piece, and a Peace piece. The complete assembly for each side only weighs 23.7g

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180926_022507.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	153403

The complete set takes about 4.5 hours to print at 0.2mm layer height and 60 mm/s speed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180926_023053.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	153401

The Peace sign is taken from a reference photo. This piece can be screwed in instead of the minigun/arm pieces:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180926_023015.jpg Views:	1 Size:	116.7 KB ID:	153402

Seen to the nearest left corner, the Bracket piece prints as one whole piece, and attaches to the bottom of the fuselage with screws. Each of the two rails can also accept a 3mm rod to further brace the Brackets on either side of the fuselage by connecting them together. In testing this isn't needed in flight, but it adds peace of mind for improved overall rigidity by linking the entire 12 piece assembly together.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20180926_022424.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	153405
          Attached Files

Comment

You just made my day! (You could make it better by releasing it soon!)

Comment

SuperDave, I don't *think* it will be before but I can't confirm that right now. Please stay subscribed to this thread and our YouTube channel for all the latest updates.

Hi DCorsair, James posted some photos of the UH1 earlier but I can also share some of the 3DPUP options that we'll be making available for download when the series goes live online. If there is enough interest, we'll also explore the possibility of factory printing these sets for customers without a 3D printer or without the means to have the files printed locally or online.

The 3DPUPs are designed as cosmetic spiffs to enhance the look of one's model. Minor assembly with screws and painting is obviously required of the modeler him/herself. I painted the raw printed parts to show the beginning of what a modeler can achieve with hobby paints and some imagination. We're also working with Callie for a variety of decal sets. If anyone has any suggestions for other 3DPUPs or decal sets, please continue to either PM me or you can also post here.

Raw 3D print, using screws for attachments.
              Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180924_214836.jpg Views:	2 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	153404

The 3DPUP Set consists (from left to right on the mat) of a Bracket piece, a Rocket piece and Mount piece (screwed together in this photo), a Minigun piece, a Minigun Arm piece, and a Peace piece. The complete assembly for each side only weighs 23.7g

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180926_022507.jpg Views:	1 Size:	147.3 KB ID:	153403

The complete set takes about 4.5 hours to print at 0.2mm layer height and 60 mm/s speed.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180926_023053.jpg Views:	1 Size:	96.2 KB ID:	153401

The Peace sign is taken from a reference photo. This piece can be screwed in instead of the minigun/arm pieces:

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180926_023015.jpg Views:	1 Size:	116.7 KB ID:	153402

Seen to the nearest left corner, the Bracket piece prints as one whole piece, and attaches to the bottom of the fuselage with screws. Each of the two rails can also accept a 3mm rod to further brace the Brackets on either side of the fuselage by connecting them together. In testing this isn't needed in flight, but it adds peace of mind for improved overall rigidity by linking the entire 12 piece assembly together.

Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_20180926_022424.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.3 KB ID:	153405
              Thanks Alpha, found the video with the Huey in it, must have missed the video some how...:Confused:

Comment

They're heeereeee.
                B222 Shadow Black 450 Size Helicopter from RotorScale - PNP - RSH0006P

Comment

To be honest I though they would be more pricey(but whos going to argue!)

Comment

Yes, I think a lot of people, reasonably, estimated these costing more. I can talk of all the ways it could have cost more, but we are adamant to bring this new series to the market at a price that we think is a great value. Now that the pages are going up, we'll begin posting the Setup videos and other videos showing more facets of this series. We hope our customer family enjoys them like we have!

Comment

Yes, I think a lot of people, reasonably, estimated these costing more. I can talk of all the ways it could have cost more, but we are adamant to bring this new series to the market at a price that we think is a great value. Now that the pages are going up, we'll begin posting the Setup videos and other videos showing more facets of this series. We hope our customer family enjoys them like we have!
                      I hope you ordered plenty of Airw...B222s because it's probably THE most recognized helicopter next to a certain azure colored one. But that one would be hard to fly because it was "more nose-heavy than the Ayatollah". The B222 is probably equal to the Corsair in recognition.

Comment

I love mine, it's hanging above my computer monitor right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15391077372191096607662.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	155584

Comment

Originally posted by Valkpilot View Post

I hope you ordered plenty of Airw...B222s because it's probably THE most recognized helicopter next to a certain azure colored one. But that one would be hard to fly because it was "more nose-heavy than the Ayatollah". The B222 is probably equal to the Corsair in recognition.
                          You hit that right on the head. As much as I like the Huey, the B222 is really looking good!!! Just waiting for the pre order button to go live. :)

Comment

I can hear flight of the Valkyries getting louder!

And for some the air wolf theme! I would watch that show all the time as a little kid, Motion putting one out brings back the memories.

Comment

I love mine, it's hanging above my computer monitor right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	15391077372191096607662.jpg
Views:	446
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	155584
                              Kinda creepy their Alpha, looks like a big bug.

Comment

I just noticed something regarding these heli's on Motion's website. In the " Requires:" section on the product page, it lists:I hope this is a typo, as the included pre-configured Sparky 2.0 is one of the main reasons I am interested in these heli's. The Sparky 2.0 is still shown in the product photos, but there is no mention of it in the product description. They do still mention the fact that it is stabilized, receiver-ready PNP, and test-flown at the factory.

Motion RC, how about clarification on this and an update on availability?

SuperDave

Comment

Originally posted by SuperDave View Post
                                  I just noticed something regarding these heli's on Motion's website. In the " Requires:" section on the product page, it lists:I hope this is a typo, as the included pre-configured Sparky 2.0 is one of the main reasons I am interested in these heli's. The Sparky 2.0 is still shown in the product photos, but there is no mention of it in the product description. They do still mention the fact that it is stabilized, receiver-ready PNP, and test-flown at the factory.

Motion RC, how about clarification on this and an update on availability?

SuperDave
                                  I'm curious also, :Confused: . When it was first announced it was advertised as PNP. Then like you stated, the ad was showing requires the MSH Brain. So now that $300 helicopter is going to cost almost $500 without batteries! :( I was ready to pull the trigger but if it requires the Brain to fly it I'll probably pass on it. I prefer the kiss method myself.

Comment

Originally posted by handyman220 View Post

I'm curious also, :Confused: . When it was first announced it was advertised as PNP. Then like you stated, the ad was showing requires the MSH Brain. So now that $300 helicopter is going to cost almost $500 without batteries! :( I was ready to pull the trigger but if it requires the Brain to fly it I'll probably pass on it. I prefer the kiss method myself.
                                    Yeah, if it requires a $165 part in addition to RX and batteries that can't be used in anything else unless you rig them in series would be the walk away point.

Comment

Rotorscale Heli's Gone?

The product pages for these heli's on MotionRC's site seem to have disappeared. Not a good sign.

SuperDave

Comment

I just spoke with MotionRC about the Rotorscale heli's. I was told that they have been shelved for the forseeable future due to some issues with the manufacturer.
                                        Bummer. Moving on.

SuperDave

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperDave View Post
                                          I just spoke with MotionRC about the Rotorscale heli's. I was told that they have been shelved for the forseeable future due to some issues with the manufacturer.
                                          Bummer. Moving on.

SuperDave
                                          Well, in the Tired Iron video they were supposed to be PNP, then when the pages went up, they required a controller as well. My guess is that MRC got "bait and switched" after they got the prototypes.

Comment

Working...
                                          X