First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome so its not just me.......

Comment

Originally posted by Jhnybgd View Post
      Okay I am interested as an aspiring helicopter pilot/deconstruction expert.

Question:How can these be factory flown and adjusted for flight when they dont cpme with a flybarless controller?:Ligthbulb:
      I think that idea would have been given up on at the same time that the FBL controller went out the window. Unless of course it is done with the 'recommended' ZYXS2 controller - which would seem to me to be a futile exercise as this is not likely to be the FBL controller of choice for those familiar with the many other options available.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone 7 View Post

I think that idea would have been given up on at the same time that the FBL controller went out the window. Unless of course it is done with the 'recommended' ZYXS2 controller - which would seem to me to be a futile exercise as this is not likely to be the FBL controller of choice for those familiar with the many other options available.
        I believe this first batch was actually test flown at the factory with the original controllers, before they were pulled from the package. So, the mechanical setup should actually be close to spot on. It required very little tweaking on my test aircraft to get the mechanical setup down.

Comment

Originally posted by Jhnybgd View Post
          Okay I am interested as an aspiring helicopter pilot/deconstruction expert.

Question:How can these be factory flown and adjusted for flight when they dont cpme with a flybarless controller?:Ligthbulb:
          The first batches were 100% tested model by model with the original flight controller that was to be included with the model. However, that is no longer included and instead we recommend the Tarot though it is not included it can be found here https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ght-controller

The manual was completed but referenced the old flight controller. We working on removing those references now while adding other required information. We hope to have that manual available tomorrow. We're also working on a complete video showing the programming and setup with the Tarot flight controller. Sorry for putting the cart ahead of the horse. Since the horse is out of the barn, we're doing a little more chasing than we'd like.

Comment

I also posted this in the Admiral helicopter thread.I would really appreciate a step by step tutorial. I received my Huey yesterday and was impressed and overwhelmed at the same time. I have to be honest I was contemplating sending everything back after seeing there was no instruction manual. To top things off setting up the recommended flight controller looked a little complicated for a semi newbie to collective pitch. I have been playing with a Blade 230 prior to this helicopter.

Comment

When will a complete parts list be available?

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post

The first batches were 100% tested model by model with the original flight controller that was to be included with the model. However, that is no longer included and instead we recommend the Tarot though it is not included it can be found here https://www.motionrc.com/collections...ght-controller

The manual was completed but referenced the old flight controller. We working on removing those references now while adding other required information. We hope to have that manual available tomorrow. We're also working on a complete video showing the programming and setup with the Tarot flight controller. Sorry for putting the cart ahead of the horse. Since the horse is out of the barn, we're doing a little more chasing than we'd like.
                Yeah for me I was excited that these would be reciever ready pnp helicopters.

I know part of the "fun"of helis ar countless hours of putzing with the mechanics and flight controllers.....but not to me

Comment

Originally posted by handyman220 View Post
                  I also posted this in the Admiral helicopter thread.I would really appreciate a step by step tutorial. I received my Huey yesterday and was impressed and overwhelmed at the same time. I have to be honest I was contemplating sending everything back after seeing there was no instruction manual. To top things off setting up the recommended flight controller looked a little complicated for a semi newbie to collective pitch. I have been playing with a Blade 230 prior to this.
                  Completely understand where you are at, and it certainly isn’t the easiest FBL controller to start out with. Until the official video gets put out, this gives a great tutorial for setting up the tarot unit step by step:

You are going to need to get a few tools for setup if you don’t have them already. These would be a pitch gauge, swash leveling tool, and ball link pliers.

Another option, although not as affordable as the Tarot controller, would be using a more “premium” FBL unit like the ikon(brain), Vbar, BeastX, demon, or Spirit. All these units are more expensive, but the software is extremely well written and walks you step by step through the proper setup.

As for the fuselage, there is a great thread over on RCgroups that walks through the assembly of the fuselage here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-Huey-Fuselage.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                    Another option, although not as affordable as the Tarot controller, would be using a more “premium” FBL unit like the ikon(brain), Vbar, BeastX, demon, or Spirit. All these units are more expensive, but the software is extremely well written and walks you step by step through the proper setup.
                    By recommending the Tarot FBL controller, I think that they are setting themselves up for another fail and more tears. I suspect that this was a decision based on the unit's price alone in order to mitigate the changing profile of the product. It is not a good choice for the newcomer and it is certainly not an option that the experienced enthusiast would contemplate who, to be brutal, are more interested in just getting their hands on the fuselages through a 'spares order'.

Comment

Okay folks, the official RotorScale 450 Instruction Manual is now available on the support page of this model or click here for a direct link. Keep in mind this is a working document so check back regularly for any updated information that may be added. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
                      My YouTube RC videos:
                      https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I know it sais these fuselages are made by Roban but I found this on YouTube from 8 years ago and it's the same exact fuselage. Even has the weird front windows. Did Roban/Rotorscale buy up old HeliArtist fuselages or were they once partners?

Comment

Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post
                          I know it sais these fuselages are made by Roban but I found this on YouTube from 8 years ago and it's the same exact fuselage. Even has the weird front windows. Did Roban/Rotorscale buy up old HeliArtist fuselages or were they once partners?
                          I’m not exactly sure on all the details, but heliartist started disappearing about 5 years ago, and the same fuselages started being marketed as Roban. I suspect that Roban made the fuselages from day 1, and that heliartist was a sub-brand or distributor. All of the 450 fuselages and a good portion of the 500/600 fuselages all used to be sold as Heliartist.

Comment

Roban is the original manufacturer. I work out of Roban's factory a few days every month and I've seen the molds and production line with my own eyes many, many times. Roban is one of the few fiberglass helicopter manufacturers, they OEM'd for others in the past.

Here are a few pictures I snapped over the past year of various things that aren't secrets. Enjoy!
                            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Good to know! I just didn't realize that these had been around for so long. Let's get some of those AH-6's across the pond next!;)

Comment

Either that’s one little lady ... or one big heli that she’s working on!

Comment

Icepirate3, yes, Roban has been around for quite some time. These types of molds have a much, much, much shorter lifespan than the steel molds we use for foam, so new identical molds are almost always being produced. The model itself however remains the same. Therein is our opportunity to innovate, if/when we identify something that it worth changing future molds for.

Feedback informs those potential changes, so as always, contact our support team or post here with your requests. So far, based on customer feedback we're currently exploring reinforcements to the landing gear for this model.
                                  Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullsh.t.!"

Unfortunately, it is very apparent that James is not a heli guy as his enthusiastic presentation contains a lot of the latter. There are some very poor recommendations given in the video (the excessive gain recommendation is actually unsafe):
                                    • Servos should not be physically connected to the Rx until after the SETUP->SERVO tab on the setup process is completed.
                                    • The gyro gain value of 62 for the GYRO page on the Spekky is WAY too high - (dangerously high actually). It should be adjusted so that it reads about +24 for the AUX channel on the MONITOR page of the ZYX assistant. The tail gain parameter should start off on the low side for the maiden, then gradually increased until the tail starts to wag then backed of a couple clicks. I can guarantee you that 62 is way, WAY too high! The 62 value James got from his heli experts is only correct for a Tx where the channel range goes from 0-100 (in this case 0-49 is rate mode and 51-100 is HH and a value of 62 results in a proper tail gain value on the MONITOR screen of 24). But the Spektrum GYRO menu does not use a 0-100 range - it goes from -100 to 100. Thus, a proper value for the Spek GYRO menu would be 24 for the upper/HH value.
                                    • James failed to adjust the subtrims and channel travel limits on the Tx while in the assistant MONITOR screen. All the monitor values should be zero with the controls centered, and reach +/-100 at the gimbal travel limits.
                                    • The TRIM page software adjustments are used to get each of the cyclic servo horns 90° to the linkages. Once this is done, the swash is leveled by adjusting the servo to swash links then zero pitch is set by adjusting the swash to head links.
                                    • Similarly, the rudder should not be trimmed to get the tail blade pitch angle to zero - it should be set to about 8° when the rudder servo arm is at 90°. This is in the manual. Also, the ball on the tail servo arm should be set to about 7.5 mm for a 450 heli - on my AS-350 it is set way too far out at 14 mm. Once again, this is in the manual.

I would really love to see the "maiden" of that Huey after the setup shown! (My guess is that the tail would shake uncontrollably before it ever left the ground.)

I know its easy to be critical and I guess the video is better than nothing - but that tail gain recommendation is WAY off (and unsafe). MotionRC really needs to hire a heli expert for this stuff.

All that said, I've purchased three of these new Rotorscale helis and am currently going through them with a fine tooth comb. Overall, I'm very impressed so far with the quality of the scale fuses and I like the mechanics you've chosen (except for the way too slow Emax ES3054 tail servo). I plan on doing a build/review thread once I get everything sorted.

Thanks again to MotionRC for bringing us these cool new toys! :)
                                    Last edited by ridgerunner; May 2, 2019, 05:16 PM. Reason: Corrected math error - a value of 62 for a Tx having a range of 0-100, works out to be a value of 24 (not 34) on a Tx having a range of -100 to +100

Comment

Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
                                      If you can't dazzle them with your brilliance, baffle them with your bullsh.t.!"

Unfortunately, it is very apparent that James is not a heli guy as his enthusiastic presentation contains a lot of the latter. There are some very poor recommendations given in the video (the excessive gain recommendation is actually unsafe):
                                      • Servos should not be physically connected to the Rx until after the SETUP->SERVO tab on the setup process is completed.
                                      • The gyro gain value of 62 for the GYRO page on the Spekky is WAY too high - (dangerously high actually). It should be adjusted so that it reads about 30 on the MONITOR page of the ZYX assistant. The tail gain parameter should start off on the low side for the maiden, then gradually increased until the tail starts to wag then backed of a couple clicks. I can guarantee you that 62 is way, WAY too high!
                                      • James failed to adjust the subtrims and channel travel limits on the Tx while in the assistant MONITOR screen. All the monitor values should be zero with the controls centered, and reach +/-100 at the gimbal travel limits.
                                      • The TRIM page software adjustments are used to get each of the cyclic servo horns 90° to the linkages. Once this is done, the swash is leveled by adjusting the servo to swash links then zero pitch is set by adjusting the swash to head links.
                                      • Similarly, the rudder should not be trimmed to get the tail blade pitch angle to zero - it should be set to about 8° when the rudder servo arm is at 90°. This is in the manual. Also, the ball on the tail servo arm should be set to about 7.5 mm for a 450 heli - on my AS-350 it is set way too far at 14 mm. Once again, this is in the manual.

I would really love to see the "maiden" of that Huey after the setup shown! (My guess is that the tail would shake uncontrollably before it ever left the ground.)

I know its easy to be critical and I guess the video is better than nothing - but that tail gain recommendation is WAY off (and unsafe). MotionRC really needs to hire a heli expert for this stuff.

All that said, I've purchased three of these new Rotorscale helis and am currently going through them with a fine tooth comb. Overall, I'm very impressed so far with the quality of the scale fuses and I like the mechanics you've chosen (except for the way too slow tail servo). I plan on doing a build/review thread once I get everything sorted.

Thanks again to MotionRC for bringing us these cool new toys! :)
                                      Thanks so much for the reply, we will take another crack at it. Thanks for taking the time to reply this thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by James.MotionRC View Post

Thanks so much for the reply, we will take another crack at it. Thanks for taking the time to reply this thoroughly.
                                        Twas my pleasure! I'd recommend actually doing a maiden before calling it good next time eh? ;)

BTW, Yesterday, I figured out how to successfully connect the ZYX-S2 to a FrSky Rx via S-BUS using just one standard servo cable. I did a step-by-step write-up on how to do this and posted it over on RCGroups and HeliFreak.

Keep up the great work guys!

Comment

• Ridgerunner, We know you need 8 degrees of offset for a large heli using a Bavarian Demon. We think an 8 degree offset on this 450 using the Tarot would cause tail drift but have not tried it. We talked to the Tarot support team and were told to use a 0 degree offset. I feel a little caught in the middle and please don't think I'm saying you are wrong or challenging your knowledge. Just trying to get to the bottom of it. Have you tied both an 8 degree and 0 degree offset with the Tarot? This heli was designed with a 90 degree pitch lever. I'm told by the designer this was intended for a 0 degree offset. We had many of these out flying with 0 degree offset including the one used by James in his video. Again, we have not tried setting it at 8 degrees so I'm curious what you find.

On the gain (AVCS Head Hold), we set it slightly high to start knowing we would need to dial it back. We neglected to mention this in the video and will edit and mention that. We expected a little wag and dialed it back a few clicks and eventually settled on 58. Thanks for mentioning that.

Comment

Working...
                                          X