Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will the 3DPUP files be uploaded when it's released or soon after?

Comment

Hello there ! First post on hobbysquawk :-)

I do have a question... Would this AH6 work with 3s batteries ? For scale flight, no acro, of course. I do have a bunch of those as you may guess, and I saw other helis with the same size/class (450) on 3s.
      Thanks for answering.

Splaf

Comment

Hi Splaf,
        Welcome home to Hobby Squawk! The pre-installed motor and pinion is intended for use with a 6s battery. In fact, one of our guys flew it on 3s, albeit very briefly. I wouldn't recommend it. Many 450s are/were 3s or 4s, but they usually didn't have the added weight of a fiberglass fuselage like these do. The added voltage helps offset the amps to sustain the necessary watts to fly these helos well. That being said, if you adjusted your pitch curve properly depending on what flight controller you install, you *might* be able to find a sweet spot for flight duration, flight performance, and battery health that meets your goal.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

When is the AH-6 likely to be available - or should I just order the fuselage parts and 'do my own thing' with my existing 450 frame?

Comment

Hi Cyclone 7, I noticed you're in the U.K. Send me a PM and we can discuss an idea I have.

Regarding the AH-6, the 3DPs I posted earlier are available for free download, we were waiting to upload them here this summer but I can do so sooner since you've posted an interest. The AH-6 that we'd deliver would simply be the existing MD-500D in matte black. Users would then choose which 3DPs they wanted to print to further customize their models. As you know, the AH-6 was used in different configurations, and since we can't model each one, the idea is to use 3DPs to provide users an easy path to outfit their models as they choose.

The AH-6 hasn't released yet primarily because we've been evaluating shorter landing gear options. When it's ready for shipment, we'll update this thread and the website.

Comment

Have PM'd you and thanks for the update.

A matte black fuselage finish is not that friendly to those wanting to apply a lighter colour scheme - far better if you were to supply it in the more neutral and more easily re-painted, sand variant:Thinking:

Comment

Matte black finish is perfect for me as I want to model a MH-6J. I'll be putting the benches in place of the weapons. An idea what scale this is?

Comment

Hopefully this will be available soon ?

Comment

I pretty much gave up waiting for this model to stock, so I ordered the fuselage and skids. Thinking of ordering the 450 sport fbl from Tarot RC and fit the fuselage to that frame. Hopefully it won't be too daunting of a task to do so.

Comment

It would be great if we could get the 3DPs available for this one ! I like the ammo belt, and hopefully they'll have one for the gun and launcher too.

Comment

Happy day ! The fuselage arrived today. The lay up is very nice. However, the landing skids are not square to the fuse, so I'll have to do some work to the mounts to correct that. Pretty happy with it though, and can't wait to get started on it. I have a 450 clone for it, but I don't think it will fit with the tail boom support rods on it. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190909_201400.jpg
Views:	1287
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	213098Click image for larger version

Name:	20190909_201350.jpg
Views:	1310
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	213099

Comment

Gluing the tail feathers together. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190910_121818.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	213146Click image for larger version

Name:	20190910_121824.jpg
Views:	1258
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	213147

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_210046.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	213769Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_210108.jpg
Views:	1242
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	213771 Check this out. A roll of masking tape aligns the frame with the fuselage tail boom perfectly ! Those Chinese are clever. Now I don't have to play with blocks and shims to figure out my mounting system. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_210038.jpg
Views:	1291
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	213768Click image for larger version

Name:	20190916_210059.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	213770

Comment

For anyone interested in this product, it is now in stock at Motion RC.

PLEASE NOTE - the Rotorscale 450 size AH-6 that is now in stock is a new color scheme, Army Tactical Black. We do not currently have stock of the desert sand color pictured in the first post of this thread. We will offer the desert sand again if there is interest, but currently, people overwhelmingly asked for this model in the Army tactical back "Shadow Ops" scheme

Comment

Nothing a little paint can't fix

Comment

That's funny. At the time I ordered the fuselage, it was only offered in desert sand, and I will be painting it black ! I hope they offer the weapons set in the spare parts tab, and also the 3dp files for the scale goodies.

Comment

Ordered!

Comment

Cool ! Let us know how it looks when you get it. I'm curios if they lowered the landing gear, as there was talk of that earlier. As well as talk of 3dp files for scale stuff. Still working on my mechanics at the moment. I went with the KST ds215mg v3 servos. Their smooth as silk. Gonna try a mini Kbar.

Comment

scootergenie I have all the STL files, we'll be uploading them here in this Squawk thread, then on the website, tomorrow. The STL files include cosmetic scale elements such as shortened landing gear, ordnance and hardpoints, blade stays, various antennas, LED mounts for searchlight and tail beacon, and functional elements such as a cross brace for the stock landing gear. There's a lot to print, and users can choose how many they want to use, from none of them to all of them. I'm sure some of you will design your own 3DPs around this model as well. Several variations exist of this type.

Comment

scootergenie icepirate3

Attached is a ZIP folder containing the files I put together. 26 and counting. Hopefully other users will add to this list as we begin diving deeper into this aircraft and its variations from its inception into modern day and beyond.

The files here are fairly self-explanatory. I posted a photo on page 1 of my heavily customized AH-6 based on this Roban MD500/AH-6 airframe, using all the 3D parts in this ZIP folder.

The larger parts such as the large blade antennas and the weapon stations are designed to be screwed on with 1.5mm screws from the inside of the fuselage facing out.

The smaller parts such as hooks and sensor blisters are intended to be installed by drilling a 1.5-2.0mm hole in the fiberglass, then inserting the part's pins into the hole and gluing it from the inside.

If you choose to print the shortened landing gear legs, I designed those to screw into the existing holes for the stock landing gear. You may need to shave the stock fuselage holes to ensure a snug fit. Because these are load bearing parts, I recommend printing with either 100% infill or 80% infill with triangular pattern and thickened walls, ~2.0mm or more (depending how hard you land!). Use good PLA and print slowly for a good bond. Ideally in a tough landing you want the strut collars to fail first at the point where the skids slide into the landing gear leg, so you'll notice there is a thinned cross section at that location. I experimented with a layer of 1/4 ounce fiberglass cloth epoxied onto the gear legs, which did strengthen them, but I found the PLA part was just fine, too. Printing it in nylon is even better, but expensive, and again, unnecessary for normal controlled landings. I've been using the original PLA-only printed gear for over a year now without issues.

Also, here is a photo of the new model as delivered on all models purchased after November 1, 2019, wearing its matte black scheme with smoked windscreen and all four doors removed, which was the configuration of AH-6 that we referenced the most closely. Miniguns and rocket pods are included, as shown. To my mind the customization possibilities are immense for this base aircraft. And of course, everything looks better in black.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6715.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	218303
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X