X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 360 Trio into AS350 500

Going to attempt to put a Blade 360 Trio into a 500 size AS350 fuselage. I have absolutely no experience in working with a nice fiberglass fuselage like this or with putting the mechanics and complete frame into something like this.

My plan is to trim the tail cone about 2 3/4 inches while keeping the original end piece. This will mean filling in and painting the cutouts for the stabs. I will try to move them forward, just out of reach of the tail rotor. For the main section I will use balsa blocks and square 3/4 struts to mount and stabilize the frame. The heli flies great as is so as long as I get the cg right, it should handle the added weight easily. Will just have to lower the head speed a little to help fly more scale. The main heli frame fits beautifully inside and I could even keep the tail boom struts if I wanted to, not sure why I would though.

This will be a slow project (have two others on the table as well)and will post any updates with pics. Any advice or tips will be highly appreciated! My main reason for trying this is to hopefully rejuvenate my love for rc helis. Someday I hope to dig into a 700/800 Huey and this will be a nice and MUCH less expensive test.

Also, if anyone has a line on where I could get landing skids for this that would be great! I was hoping to modify an old set but I have nothing big enough. I emailed Roban but haven't seen a reply.

Comment

First cut done. Plan is to cut again on the aft side of the yellow tape, then attach the rear piece at that point. It would be easier to just cut further back and attach the end piece but I want to keep the option of being able to remove it to service the tail rotor if needed.

Comment

Second cut done. Now is sanding and fitting. Will build braces out of the cut section that I'm not using once I'm sure the measurements are good. Will have to fill in the gaps and paint but I think it will turn out ok. It will look a little strange but ultimately this is just an experiment.

If it turns out to be tail heavy ( pretty sure it will) I might think about getting a cocpit for it. Not sure how much that would cost but if it flies nice and doesn't look too goofy I will probably go that route.

Comment

Preliminary mount. I dont want to glue things down until I get the skids so I know how it sits. I can go up further if needed but I want to keep the vertical cg as low as possible. I doubt I will have blade clearance as it sits though. Will take some experimenting so I will just foam tac the 3/4 shim and use a couple plastic shims to screw the frame to the balsa blocks.

Comment

That fuselage looks familiar LOL. Glad to see that you are going for it and glad to see it coming together for you. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Comment

Thanks! It was tough to cut into such a nice looking fuselage but necessary for my needs as I'm sure you know. I did another test-fit and can get another 1 to 1 1/2 clearance up top which is a good thing. I will start building a deck soon and looking into skid options. I have another project and work taking up most of my time so I probably won't get much done on this project for another week or so.

Comment

Just a quick update. I am on hold until a landing skid set arrives so I can check the stance so I know what angle I need to set the frame inside. I am also considering either 3d printing a platform or building one out of balsa. Both seem feasible but this being my first time working with a fuselage like this I'm not sure. I'm open to suggestions for sure!

Comment

Originally posted by icepirate3 View Post
                  Just a quick update. I am on hold until a landing skid set arrives so I can check the stance so I know what angle I need to set the frame inside. I am also considering either 3d printing a platform or building one out of balsa. Both seem feasible but this being my first time working with a fuselage like this I'm not sure. I'm open to suggestions for sure!
                  Not sure what you meant by "platform" and I personally have NO experience with 3D printing but if you are referring to the way in which you will be attaching the mechanics to the fuselage then I can tell you that balsa works well. All of my semi-scale helicopter builds have some sort of balsa frame that attaches both the mechanics and the landing skids and to date I have had none of the vibration or ground resonance issues that many others have complained about. Hope this helps

Comment

Originally posted by JDLightnin' View Post

Not sure what you meant by "platform" and I personally have NO experience with 3D printing but if you are referring to the way in which you will be attaching the mechanics to the fuselage then I can tell you that balsa works well. All of my semi-scale helicopter builds have some sort of balsa frame that attaches both the mechanics and the landing skids and to date I have had none of the vibration or ground resonance issues that many others have complained about. Hope this helps
                    Your pic is almost exactly what I was planning actually. Thanks for posting that as it certainly gives me some fresh ideas! I am thinking of using both balsa and some 3d printed supports. I think it would be easier to shape the balsa around the curved areas than to try to design it on a screen, then wait 4 hours to see if you got it right.

looking forward to getting back on this project but it's #3 in line for now.

Thanks again!

Comment

Balsa is the more forgiving & vibration friendly option - and far easier to achieve a good final fit with.

Comment

Your pic is almost exactly what I was planning actually. Thanks for posting that as it certainly gives me some fresh ideas! I am thinking of using both balsa and some 3d printed supports. I think it would be easier to shape the balsa around the curved areas than to try to design it on a screen, then wait 4 hours to see if you got it right.

looking forward to getting back on this project but it's #3 in line for now.

Thanks again!
                        How's it goin"? Any progress?

Here's my latest project (about 100 hrs in)LOL

Comment

Still waiting for the landing skids to come in. Supposed to be here Monday but between working long shifts and other projects, this one will be secondary until I get my Herc flying. I will probably go with a balsa base as I have plenty laying around. Will update again after I get the gear fit.

Comment

Originally posted by JDLightnin' View Post

How's it goin"? Any progress?

Here's my latest project (about 100 hrs in)LOL
                            That is slick!!! Great scheme. I got the gear temporarily installed. Will need to shorted the struts a bit but since the set is for a 600 I was expecting that. I should get more time on it tomorrow to start mounting the mechanics. I'm still concerned that it will look pretty goofy with a shortened tail but oh well. If it flies, I'm happy. I will just say it was an early experiment by Eurocopter for those with small hangers.

I am wondering what gain adjustments I will need to compensate for the extra weight? Are there any other things I should be looking for before spooling up for the first time considering the added weight? I am already thinking about blade clearance but think I will be ok as long as I stay away from negative pitch.

Comment

A little more progress. Found a set of gear for a 600 that fit ok after some trimming and shimming. I'm satisfied with the test fit enough that I will start working on the mount and upper supports. I'm trying to find some hard rubber pieces to place between the bottom of the mechanics and the airframe to help isolate vibrations. Then it's time to tackle the tail. That will be the biggest challenge as I had to trim about 2 1/2 inches to fit the fuselage to the 360 tail support. I thought about just using filler to smooth the transition but now I'm looking at shaping balsa for more strength but I could be bass awkward in my thought process. Like I said before, it's an experiment and a learning experience for sure.

I'm having fun with it and just wish I had more time to spend working on it.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Thanks! It's a slow project but quite fun so far. So much fun that I have ordered a Roban 600 UH-1N conversion kit and all the electronics for the next project. Will get the 600 ESP for mechanics as soon as they are back in stock. Really looking forward to it as it will be another very challenging build (at least for me) with basically zero build instructions. I may start another build page but time to work on so many projects is tough and don't want spread updates out weeks at a time.

Comment

Thanks! It's a slow project but quite fun so far. So much fun that I have ordered a Roban 600 UH-1N conversion kit and all the electronics for the next project. Will get the 600 ESP for mechanics as soon as they are back in stock. Really looking forward to it as it will be another very challenging build (at least for me) with basically zero build instructions. I may start another build page but time to work on so many projects is tough and don't want spread updates out weeks at a time.
                                    I was going to build a 600 Twin Huey but decided that it was just too big for me to transport practically. I recently sold the fuselage but I still have the mechanics and electronics that I bought for that build if you would be interested

Comment

Which mechanics do you have? I may be interested if they are 600 esp. Already have the electronics. It is quite a bit larger than I was expecting as well for a 600.

Comment

Working...
                                      X