X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Roban 700 Apache "Longbow" build

I did not want to hijack any of the other Apache build threads so I just went ahead and created my own. I have been working on the fit and finish aspects and it progressed far enough today to get some outdoors shots. I have helmets coming for the pilots which are 8" figures I got from classictvtoys. Even so the pilot required some mods to get him to fit as he was too tall. At one point there were body parts laying all over the place . The gunners legs had to be amputated below the knees as well. I did the cooling fan mod outlined by Tooeleflyboy in his build thread. I also added my trusty ReadyMadeRC white strobes and some custom made light covers I made by vacuum forming over vitamin pills. Dustin Holloman designed for me a radome from dimmensions I sent him that I 3D printed to make mine a Longbow version. It will rotate but oh well, should still look the part. This is my first Roban kit and my first large scale heli and overall I am impressed with it. There are a couple things that could be improved upon but that is the challenge of a build like this. I ordered the pilots helmets from Fine Scale Modela and will likely order more of their detail parts in the future. The mechanics fit perfectly and I had to manipulate the tail boom to get it to fit properly. The hinge for the horizontal stabilizer is a large nylon bullet style hinge that permits too much side to side play so if you want the stab to pivot up and down you will likely want to do something different. I and going to solicit Dustin Holomans skills again to make me an aluminum hinge. A 3D printed mock up proved it will work. The dashes even have illuminated instruments and displays. Pretty cool. Anyway, here are some pics of mine so far. Still needs servos, ESC and motor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190824_170427-800x600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	191.6 KB ID:	211327

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190824_170551-800x600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	231.0 KB ID:	211328

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190824_171132-800x600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	227.0 KB ID:	211329

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190824_170622-800x600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.0 KB ID:	211330

Changed the direction of tail rotor rotation and added a cascading tail. Also made the slow speed sensors pivot. I was not a fan of simply glueing the weapons pylons to the wings as there really isn't much in the way of support structures inside the wings. My solution was to tape up the bottoms of the wings and spray a little foam into the wings at the pylon slots. Once firm I dug enough foam out of the slots to fit the tabs on the pylons and then I used Gorilla glue to secure them. Worked like a charm. The weapons pylons are solid now. I have the radio install to complete, some graphics and a little weathering. There is so much that can be done with one of these. The Roban kit is a great startingpoint.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190915_211037.jpg
Views:	2790
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	213679

Name:	IMG_20190915_165200.jpg
Views:	2355
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	213680

Comment

Looking good.... And man that thing is huge ! Must be alot easier to work on than my 450 build where everything is tight.

Comment

Looks great! The cascade tail really finishes the look! One of the things that I love with the larger Robans is that all of the gears are metal and are held on by set screws. This makes it easy to switch out shafts or switch rotation directions, especially compared to smaller models with molded-on plastic gear integrated onto the shafts.

Comment

Wow that thing is badass!
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

I have to admit, this is my first Roban and first scale heli and it is big which does make it relatively easy to work on. I have been impressed by the level of quality and scale detail for the most part. I hope to have it flying very soon.

Comment

Originally posted by RCjetdude View Post
              I have to admit, this is my first Roban and first scale heli and it is big which does make it relatively easy to work on. I have been impressed by the level of quality and scale detail for the most part. I hope to have it flying very soon.
              Wow. can't believe you got that thing almost flying already, I put my 500 aside for now, this is my first big one as well, your going to get yours flying before me thats for sure. Can you list your electronics that you are using, motor, servos FBL unit?, This is my first FBL heli and having trouble understanding all the programming for the FBL gyros, I was used to just dropping in the mechanics and set up a tail gyro and in 10 minutes I was flying but this FBL system has me scratching my head, can you post a pic of where you mounted your FBL unit if it's not to hard that is??
              Your Apache looks awesome, I almost ordered that one myself but found this 500 close to home so I purchased it for now, got my eye on the Roban 700 Cobra but really like your Apache too.

Hope you don't mind me posting mine on your thread, if you want me to take it down I understand?
              Attached Files

Comment

No problem with the post. Love your 500. Looks sweet! I am learning all this FBL stuff as well. I have several options and right now have a Brain 2 BT which I understand is very convenient for making adjustments. I have a HobbyWing 130A ESC and went with a Tengu 4525HS / 515kV Motor. The servos are BK 7001's and a 7006 for the tail. Tonight I completed the electronics installation. I have just a few more loose ends to tidy up and it is ready for setup which I will be getting some help from the resident heli guys at TiredIron to do. They have already been extremely helpful with the mechanics.

Name:	IMG_20190916_190127.jpg
Views:	2205
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	213792

Name:	IMG_20190916_231755.jpg
Views:	2130
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	213793

Name:	IMG_20190912_185048.jpg
Views:	2159
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	213794

Comment

No problem with the post. Love your 500. Looks sweet! I am learning all this FBL stuff as well. I have several options and right now have a Brain 2 BT which I understand is very convenient for making adjustments. I have a HobbyWing 130A ESC and went with a Tengu 4525HS / 515kV Motor. The servos are BK 7001's and a 7006 for the tail. Tonight I completed the electronics installation. I have just a few more loose ends to tidy up and it is ready for setup which I will be getting some help from the resident heli guys at TiredIron to do. They have already been extremely helpful with the mechanics.

Name:	IMG_20190916_190127.jpg
Views:	2205
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	213792

Name:	IMG_20190916_231755.jpg
Views:	2130
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	213793

Name:	IMG_20190912_185048.jpg
Views:	2159
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	213794
                  Thank you for the pics, love the close ups, get to see just how big that thing is...

Comment

I hope to maiden this bird today. Everything looks to be in order. I will get some help from a heli friend to finalize the setup and give it a good going over and will try to get pictures and video. Here are a few shots of the pilots ready for action.

Name:	IMG_20190920_174246.jpg
Views:	2191
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	214043

Name:	IMG_20190920_184232.jpg
Views:	2042
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	214044

Name:	IMG_20190920_184124.jpg
Views:	2080
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	214045

Name:	IMG_20190920_184243.jpg
Views:	2097
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	214046

Name:	IMG_20190920_184326.jpg
Views:	2137
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	214047

Comment

Good luck Steve, looking forward to seeing it take to the sky! Awesome work on all the detailing.

Comment

Very nice work. Hope your maiden is uneventful, and a joy.

Comment

I hope to maiden this bird today. Everything looks to be in order. I will get some help from a heli friend to finalize the setup and give it a good going over and will try to get pictures and video. Here are a few shots of the pilots ready for action.

Name:	IMG_20190920_174246.jpg
Views:	2191
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	214043

Name:	IMG_20190920_184232.jpg
Views:	2042
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	214044

Name:	IMG_20190920_184124.jpg
Views:	2080
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	214045

Name:	IMG_20190920_184243.jpg
Views:	2097
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	214046

Name:	IMG_20190920_184326.jpg
Views:	2137
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	214047
                          Hope is all goes well, get some video for sure, I love those heli maiden flights, they will get your blood pumping and your knees knocking......!!

Comment

Ok, after a failed first attempt, things went better. We learned some things along the way. If you recall I reversed the direction of tail rotor rotation. As a result, we discovered on initial spool up that the tail rotor suddenly stopped spinning so back to the bench. What we discovered was that the short torque tube has ends that are threaded on with LH threads which now loosened with the reversed rotation. After some epoxy was used to glue the ends on we were back in business and here is video of the latter half of a 5 minute flight. I used two Roaring Top 6250 35C packs in it secured to a battery tray that I added. There was just enough room to fit the cockpit tub but I could not push the batteries all the way forward so I ended up having to add 1.3 lbs of nose weight to it. Needless to say I think we got the CG pretty close based on it's flight characteristics. Here is video proof that for as heavy as this bird is, she flies and flies well. Big thanks to Craig Quillen, our TIA resident heli guy for his help to get it setup and flying.

Comment

Way cool..... I love it !

Comment

Ok, after a failed first attempt, things went better. We learned some things along the way. If you recall I reversed the direction of tail rotor rotation. As a result, we discovered on initial spool up that the tail rotor suddenly stopped spinning so back to the bench. What we discovered was that the short torque tube has ends that are threaded on with LH threads which now loosened with the reversed rotation. After some epoxy was used to glue the ends on we were back in business and here is video of the latter half of a 5 minute flight. I used two Roaring Top 6250 35C packs in it secured to a battery tray that I added. There was just enough room to fit the cockpit tub but I could not push the batteries all the way forward so I ended up having to add 1.3 lbs of nose weight to it. Needless to say I think we got the CG pretty close based on it's flight characteristics. Here is video proof that for as heavy as this bird is, she flies and flies well. Big thanks to Craig Quillen, our TIA resident heli guy for his help to get it setup and flying.

Good job, excellent flight and it looks very stable, looks awesome, can't wait to get my 500 in the air now.

Comment

Superb - really does look the part, both on the ground and in the air. Congratulations on a fantastic outcome

Comment

Got flight #4 in today after spending some time working on the tracking. Only the slightest vibration exists now in the bottom Hellfires which are only loosly attached. I think I can easily fix that. Anyway, this bird continues to impress and I am getting more comfortable at the sticks. I now have a hollow main shaft and will be working on a fixed Radome mod. Still need to decide what markings and details I want to add prior to weathering it up.

Comment

Very nice! (two thumbs up)

Comment

excellent ! Really looks great in the air ! Nice scale flight.

Comment

Working...
                                        X