Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That would be great, thanks gravy.

Comment

Here is the best pic I could take of the servo.
      also my second flight today. I need to track down that vibration for sure.

Comment

Thanks for the picture..... it always helps when you can see how others do things. I'll bet the aft mount points are going to be fun. One thing I noticed too, is that on mine, the bottom of my vertical stab is higher than the tail rotor dia. so I plan to add a wire skid to the bottom of it to avoid tail strikes.

Comment

Just a hair above the vertical stab. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_181744.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	213669Click image for larger version

Name:	20190915_181725.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	213670Click image for larger version

Name:	20190914_200600.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	213671

Comment

So what's the verdict Gravy ? Got that thing flying sweet yet ?

Comment

Chasing vibration issue. I have flown it a few times but if I get over 55% throttle it starts vibrating. I have triple balanced everything, so it’s a work in process.

gravy

Comment

Hopefully you can get it sorted out and start enjoying it. I was wondering if someone can help me out.... I'm looking for info on main gear and pinion tooth count to get the desired head speed. Running the mx450 1700kv on 6s. The mechanics I acquired came with a 3500kv 3s motor, and I'm not sure what gear ratio to go with for the 1700kv 6s setup.

Comment

Got my answer on rc groups. 150t main and 13t pinion. I'm going to go with a 12t pinion to lower the head speed a bit.

Comment

I really enjoyed your video. Especially the "come out with your hands up " ....... Priceless. So have you solved the vibration issues ? Be interesting to know if it was the controller.

Comment

Unfortunately no not yet. I installed the new microbeast plus. There was something definitely not right with the ZYX setup most like in the gain setting. It’s a lot easier to to adjust the pit on the micro than hooking up every time to the ZYX. so that is something I’m happier with.

however once I get to 65% of full throttle for head speed she shacks like crazy. So I’m back to basics. I’ve removed the mechanics from the fuse and starting with just that again. Had to wait for landing skid first. It came yesterday so test flights can commence today. If all is good or when all is sorted out, it will go back in the fuse. I did add some stand offs on the frame near the head to attach the frame to the fuse dog house.

if I start having vibration issues again once in the fuse I will switch to 5 blade head and just go with lower head speed. That would make it more scale at least.

gravy

Comment

Yeah, i could never get my zyxs2 to initialize, so I swapped it out for the yellow mini kbar. Did a test hover, and it's locked in. I get a small transitional vibe on spool up, but it goes away once the head gets up to speed. But then I don't have it installed in the fuselage yet either.

Comment

That "small transitional vibe" is normal on The Egg, but you're right, Scootergenie, it should go away as the head gets up to speed. Gravythe clown If your vibrations are only beginning at 65% and don't dissipate, and you're certain everything hardware-wise has been balanced, I recommend an extra look at these three things to troubleshoot:

1) The plywood standoffs. The Egg requires many plywood standoffs between the mechanics and the fuselage floor. Stiffen them if need be by laminating with carbon cloth or 1oz-2oz fiberglass. The Egg is more susceptible to vibration that some of the other 450s which are closer slung to the fuselage with one or two standoffs, not six or more.

2) The landing gear and vertical tail. Assuming your mechanics don't vibrate when you're flying them without the fuse, I've observed that the elongated gear struts and vertical fin can accumulate and magnify vibrations. Do either of them begin to vibrate as you approach 65%, before anything else begins to vibrate?

3) Headspeed. Lower headspeed will help minimize the propagation of vibrations, assuming they're at a safe frequency and don't exacerbate the problem by creating larger/deeper vibrations at longer wavelength. This is where the flight controller can sometimes obscure or even worsen vibrations, as the gain setting at lower rpm is ideal, but at a certain transitional spot the rpm and vibrations are such that they overpower the flight controller and now the flight controller is fighting itself to stabilize the helo.

I hope some of this helps your troubleshooting.
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Agreed the gear and tail are great for early signs of vibration.

I pulled the mechanics out of the fuse and did some test flying again of just the mechanics. With the 350mm blades and head I got really bad vibration after my first test flight. I did something really stupid and switch between modes while still spooled up. I have a test mode setup so I can slowly bring up the rpms. Then I have my normal mode which has a ideal up position and a flight position. The test mode I programmed in later after I started getting the vibration. Normally I wait until I’m fully stopped before switching modes. However while not thinking after a smooth flight in test mode I landed and switch to idle up mode by accident. She jumped up about 3 feet then came back down. Nothing but the skids hit the ground, but I’m guessing it throw stuff out of wack, because relight after that it started vibrating again really bad.
                            so I pulled that whole head, shaft and blade assembly out and put in my spear already balanced and ready to go setup with 325mm blades. She flew smooth all the way to 65% throttle fixed head speed. I didn’t take her higher that 65% but she was quiet and smooth.

with all that said I’ve decided to go 5 blade head. So I got the 5 blade head, 6 315mm blades and a set of 72.5mm tail blades coming. Now I just need to size either new pinion gear or lower KV motor. I figured while I have it all out, I might as well.

gravy

Comment

Almost done.... again.
                              I have now flown the new mechanics only with the newly installed 5 blade setup. Man I learned a lot doing that, and I don’t meN just need ways to pull my hair out either.
                              Rebuilt whole tail stabilizer out of hobby birch and painted to match original. Added 72mm tail rotor blades. Added 315mm carbon fiber main rotor blades and added microbeast FBL controller.
                              I also took some liberties with some LEDs and a FW nav light controller.
                              mom nkw running through stock motor and gears 150t and 13t on 4S which gives me lower head speed at higher throttle. My throttle curve is 80% throw mid stick the 80-90% from mid to full stick.

whats left before first flight in fuse.
                              Epoxy the riser blocks.
                              Screw the riser blocks to the fuse base mounting board. Drill out screw holes in dog house for frame mounting screws to secure upper helicopter to fuse.
                              Reattach tail rotor.
                              offer sacrifice to the gods
                              pray, pray, pray.

God please let her fly with no vibrations and let her flight path be true and strong.

gravy

Comment

Comment

Test flight of the mechanics with 5 blade head.
                                  sounds pretty good to me.

gravy

Comment

Nice Gravy ! Good to see some progress. Love that 5 blade head. Looks like Florida.

Comment

Close only off a few thousand miles ;)
                                      california, the other Florida. Lol

I’m in full pray mode. Tomorrow should be the first flight with every thing installed.

gravy

Comment

All done and ready for full scale flight on Sunday. I did some test fling today which went. Dry smooth.
                                        I’m really happy with the end results and look forward to May flight on her.
                                        I have learned more about setting up helicopters than I ever thought I would when I started this endeavor.

next one will be an Apache 500. Maybe this summer. Have to get the wife through nursing school first.

gravy

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                                          All done and ready for full scale flight on Sunday. I did some test fling today which went. Dry smooth.
                                          I’m really happy with the end results and look forward to May flight on her.
                                          I have learned more about setting up helicopters than I ever thought I would when I started this endeavor.
                                          next one will be an Apache 500. Maybe this summer. Have to get the wife through nursing school first.gravy
                                          GC, Great looking work, Sir. Kudos on Mrs thru school as the priority. Very best, LB
                                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                          X