Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roban 700 size B206 sporting the TREX 550X Mechanics

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roban 700 size B206 sporting the TREX 550X Mechanics

So i finished this one up and made it's first flight today for about 5 minutes, actually had to land because I had about an 2 inch long cherry hanging off my cigarette due to being so damn nervous!... lol anyway, she flew pretty good for being unstable and way too sensitive. I'll be adjusting the radio setting because I'm on the lowest settings already on the Microbeast Plus so i guess i'll have to dig in deeper to the radio settings. I'm hoping i can tame it down more but if not then I might just have to convert it to old school and stick an flybar on it. I can deal with the looks of the paddles if it means better stability if I can't get anymore from my radio.

I had to make an custom mounting plate in the precise location for everything to fit just perfect in the doghouse... worked out really well i must say which you can see in the pics. Have a lot more work to do though like getting the weight distribution mounted inside which the test flight it was not permanent, it didn't move but i need to make another box to add the weight i want to use for it so i can mount it for good. It was balanced perfectly hanging by the center of the head. Installed the 3w nav lighting from Roban and made an nice quick disconnect system for the lights allowing me to remove the back half of the boom when needed. I can get my hands inside with plenty of room too if needing to do something without taking it all apart so that works out well.

I reversed the One-Way bearing, blade grips and also the tail section by mirroring everything inside but keeping the casing the same because of the two different mounts that are used to mount the assembly to the boom. ((Big "Thank You" to F106DeltaDart for helping out with that)),... I had to change over the control horn though and file the corners down on the foot plate of the horn that mounts to the assembly because it is in the shape of an letter "D" so the other corner had to be filed a bit so that it would set onto it's footer being mirrored from the original and that worked out great!.

I have to fix the left rear skid strut where it connects to the actual skid as mine was cracked from the factory out of the box. I also had to make my own mounting box for the mechanics as these kits don't have it included which they say it comes with it in their advertisement along with the pictures at the actual Roban website if you look at the TREX 600 Kits as it's listed for so the platform should be in the box regardless but then after contacting an representative about it personally he said they don't include those anymore because it's for an 700 size mechanics well you still have to have something anyway with the newer helis and besides that, it's listed under TREX 600 size kits and not 700 size kits. Yes it says the fuse it an 700 size but it's more designed for the 600 and 700's so the platform should be included hands down, no excuses for that.

Anyway... once it's all done I'll have an flight video of it and go from there.

I'm running this system on an Futaba T6K 6 channel with an R3006SB Receiver which has all the channels needed and options for the Microbeast Plus operation and I'm running on one 6S 5000mAH pack and being that i only fly scale with an lower head speed then I can get a lot more flight time. I'm using the Align 100 ESC controller and after that 5 minute flight I immediately checked the ECS by touching it and it was actually cold to the touch in this 85 degree weather this morning so I'm happy about that so far.

Anyway.... There's a small walk around video posted below as well. I didn't have anyone to video the first maiden flight but I'll get one soon.

If anyone needs any information on installing the TREX 550X for this fuselage then drop me an line and maybe i can answer a few questions for you since i just built one. I'll be making some new scale landing gear next, waiting for my aluminum brazing rods to get here.

Cheers!
    ~A~

======================================

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191015_061858.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.7 KB ID:	216439Click image for larger version  Name:	20191015_061908.jpg Views:	0 Size:	66.8 KB ID:	216440Click image for larger version  Name:	20191015_061923.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.3 KB ID:	216441Click image for larger version  Name:	20191015_062213.jpg Views:	0 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	216442Click image for larger version  Name:	20191015_062010.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.2 KB ID:	216443Click image for larger version  Name:	20191015_073239.jpg Views:	0 Size:	85.3 KB ID:	216444Click image for larger version  Name:	20191015_073214.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.5 KB ID:	216445

Video walk-around:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8aA...ature=youtu.be

~A~
    Attached Files

Very nice ! and I like the lights.

Comment

Thank You Scootergenie.

Comment

Just finished up cutting and bending the parts for the scale landing gear set. Using 70 aircraft aluminum, I'll be welding these up soon.

Comment

Have to make all my final cuts yet and then weld them together. Making all this by hand by the way. This was done today on my lunch hour! lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191017_222214.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.8 KB ID:	216755

Comment

Looking good..... How do you plan to attach them ?

Comment

Thanks Scooter!

After grinding down the angles on the struts, the actual ends and rounding the ends to match the actual skids I'll be brazing them together with "Alumiweld Rods" i ordered from Harbor Freight. I tired some brazing today on an scrap piece and these rods flow very nice like butter around the joint. Plus you can grind down any irregularities you may have once cooled but if you take your time then all should be an nice flow around the joints and of course you don't want to dip this stuff in water to cool it down either, just let it cool down by itself and it will have an extremely solid strong joint. Plus this tubing (wall thickness) is a bit thicker too so it's very strong and very light. I used and 2" piece of conduit pipe to bend it over to get my radius which i made an jig pattern to use. Heated it up little at an time and gently bent it until I was at the dimensions i needed. They are extended gear too, slightly longer then stock high skids.

Comment

Here's a nice clip for welding/brazing
                A beginner's guide to "welding" (brazing) aluminum with alumiweld rods.Links to the Tools and Materials Leah Uses in This Video:Alumiweld Brazing Rods: http:...

Comment

They'll be about here or so with about an 5 degree rearward tilt.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191018_001225.jpg Views:	0 Size:	50.5 KB ID:	216768

If you expand this pic you can see where the landing gear was cracked at the joint on the back left and also on the front right you can see just an tiny small crack on the front of the joint as well.... this was out of the box and it was about to separate from the actual skids so I just made an quick joint using a piece of aluminum scrap and screwed it together on both ends (one on the skid and one on the strut) just so I could use them to setup the heli.... so this is why i'm making new gear and also because I like that wider longer look on the Ranger. Almost like 407 gear but not quite.

Comment

Looking good! Excellent work so far. The 550 was definitely the right mechanics for the job!

Comment

Thanks Delta but the gear isn't going to work out so i'll have to use the original.

Comment

Working...
                      X