Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

450 Scale UH-1C Huey Gunship build

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 450 Scale UH-1C Huey Gunship build

Here is where I will be posting my scale build of a 450 sized Huey Gunship. It will be based on the mechanics of the HK 450 pro, with an Align 3GX for stabilization. I will be using this fuselage and modifying it to a Huey "Frog"'of the 174th AHC. I will also creating a raised tail System for the torque tube and moving the tail rotor to the correct side of the helicopter.
    Fuselage:http://www.scaleflying.com/UH1-B-Fib...uct_p_783.html
    Blades: http://www.scaleflying.com/Main-Roto...H1_p_4150.html
    Mechanics: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...mpatible_.html
    Servos: 3 x HS5065mgs for swash
    Stabilization: Align 3GX

A couple of photos of the inspiration..

Comment

The first thing which I did was to modify the fuselage. Initially, the windows and canopy were both undersized. Using the Dremel cutoff wheel, I cut them to the correct shape. I lightly sanded over the existing paint and applied 2 coats of tamiya primer. Then, Model Master Olive Drab was airbrushed over the fuselage.

Comment

For the raised tail, I got one of the Align 500 raised tail units to see if it would work, and it does! The align 450 torque tubes fit great into the gears. I will need to fabricate an adaptor for the smaller 450 boom diameter, but otherwise the should work as-is.

Comment

Looking good Mike!

Comment

Ahhhhhhh, I love this project, F106DeltaDart! Put your studies aside and just work on this one for a while :)
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Thanks Tony and Alpha! Alpha, your wish is granted, I am on Spring break so this will hopefully be finished by Sunday before I have to resume classes. Painted the frame today and finished the biggest painting headache, the shark mouth. Also did a test fit of the mechanics and it is starting to look like a Huey. Hoping to get the skids and raised tail adapter finished tonight, so I can start getting the mechanics ready for test flights.
              Attached Files

Comment

Finished the raised tail joint by machining some aluminum adaptors to go from the 500 size elbow to the 450 booms.

Comment

Looks outstanding Mike! You have me drooling and wanting one now.

My dad was a Huey mechanic in the 70's and 80's and I used to fly in them as a kid. Love me some Huey! :)

Comment

Looking good Mike! Always been a fan of the Huey.
                    Pat

Comment

Thanks guys! Unfortunately, I did not get much done today as I had to finish up some work. Did manage to get the skids done though. They are brass tubing soldered together. The stock skids looked completely wrong, and were about 4x too tall. Tomorrow I will probably make the windows while I wait for my tail servo to arrive.

Comment

Mike, Nice job on the skids!

Comment

Why do I have that scene from "Apocalypse Now" going through my head...........

Looking good F106DeltaDart!
                          Off with one helluva roar!
                          AMA 1085465

Comment

Added the windshield, chin bubble and greenhouse windows today.Due to the cure time of the epoxy I didn't get to do much else. For the upper greenhouse windows, I wanted to replicate the green tint of the full scale. So, I ran to the store and picked up a green-dyed plastic bottle of ginger ale. After straightening out the plastic, it worked great! Tomorrow I will be adding antennas, wire cutters, and other details, as well as the pilots and copilots windows.

Comment

Do you plan on flying the mechanics before installing them in the fuse?

Mike
                              \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post
                                Do you plan on flying the mechanics before installing them in the fuse?

Mike
                                That's the plan. Just working on detailing the fuselage while I wait for my tail servo to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                  That's the plan. Just working on detailing the fuselage while I wait for my tail servo to arrive.
                                  Good move. Watch that elbow it's been the weak spot on many projects.

Mike
                                  \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Well, that was pretty much all I could get done over spring break. I did cut the drive shafts to size and installed the tail servo, but have not had time to set up the heli yet. The build will resume mid May after I graduate. Thanks for all the interest and feedback!

Comment

Very nice to see scale helicopters being built. Look forward to you finishing this.

John

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                                        Added the windshield, chin bubble and greenhouse windows today.Due to the cure time of the epoxy I didn't get to do much else. For the upper greenhouse windows, I wanted to replicate the green tint of the full scale. So, I ran to the store and picked up a green-dyed plastic bottle of ginger ale. After straightening out the plastic, it worked great! Tomorrow I will be adding antennas, wire cutters, and other details, as well as the pilots and copilots windows.
                                        Been a while but wanted to ask you if this starting fuselage is same as Roban one? I like what you did on the windshield. Can you elaborate on the cut amount trimmed off and what you used for the windshield?

I don't have your super scale skills.but I'd like to eventually (after flying as it) try to correct the fun scale looks of the windshield a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                        X