Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minimum helicopter for outdoor use

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimum helicopter for outdoor use

What would be a minimum helicopter for outdoor use?

I used to have a blade heli mCx and it was fun to fly indoors, but obviously it was too small for use outdoors. I would really like to find something that could maybe be used indoors but could handle a slight breeze outdoors. I'm not talking handling wind, but at least some breeze. I like the RTF aspect of the smaller helis.

I have been flying RC planes for awhile, and like I said, the smaller heli indoors, just not sure how big I need to go for it to work outside in calm weather.

The answer would have to relate to the type of heli you are talking about and wish to buy. There's coaxial, which won't handle any sort of wing or breeze until you get into something bigger, like my old Walkera 400:

Next up and a little more wind (but not much more) would be a semi-coaxial, where one rotor is cyclic pitch (CP), like the Walkera Lama 3:

Then comes fixed pitch and again, not that much more wind. The more wind, the bigger they need to be:

Then finally, there's CP helis. These things can handle a lot of wind, even the small ones. Today's small CP helis with built-in stabilizers and "SAFE" modes are amazing and can be flown in a rediculous amount of wind if the pilot is good enough. You can go 100 size, 150 size and up. My last foray into helis was with the 450 size. Also know that a "pod and boom" type of CP heli can handle wind better than a scale heli of the same size due to less bodywork to get into the wind. Today's 700+ size of CP helis are expensive, can be flown in a lot of wind but requires quite a bit of skill:

Comment

Originally posted by runway14left View Post
      What would be a minimum helicopter for outdoor use?

I used to have a blade heli mCx and it was fun to fly indoors, but obviously it was too small for use outdoors. I would really like to find something that could maybe be used indoors but could handle a slight breeze outdoors. I'm not talking handling wind, but at least some breeze. I like the RTF aspect of the smaller helis.

I have been flying RC planes for awhile, and like I said, the smaller heli indoors, just not sure how big I need to go for it to work outside in calm weather.
      The Small Blade Nano or the MCP-s fly very well out doors. I've had the MCPX flying in over 20 MPH winds which it handle very well. My Nano in 15 MPH which it also handled.

Comment

Working...
      X