Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixed my issue, only to find another. A swash phasing adjustment fixed my control issue, and I pulled power and got it light on the gear today. However, as soon as I started pulling pitch, RPM rapidly decayed. It would seem that the little Xnova 890kv was just not up to the task of lifting such a heavy machine. I wish I could download ESC data to check on it, but of course the Talon 90 has no logging.. I decided to order a Scorpion instead: http://www.scorpionsystem.com/catalog/helicopter/motors_4/hk-32/HK_3226_900/. Same KV and shaft diameter, much more power. Hopefully this will finally get this bird off the ground..

Comment

New motor installed and is ready to go! I missed the window for flying this evening, and the forecast for tomorrow has 17mph wind.. so maybe maiden will be Wednesday? Took the opportunity tonight to get a photo with my other chopper projects as well

Comment

Just found out that there is a TFR in the area tomorrow. Figures, the only nice weather scheduled for this week and we get a no fly zone.. May have to try for a maiden tonight if there is a break in the winds.

Comment

May good weather be on your side and a minimum of surprise out-of-nowhere TFRs, my friend! Have someone point a flashlight at it for a night ops maiden... we used to fly 3D at night with multiple super bright flashlights trained on the helo at all times. Hair-raising, but fun!
          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
            May good weather be on your side and a minimum of surprise out-of-nowhere TFRs, my friend! Have someone point a flashlight at it for a night ops maiden... we used to fly 3D at night with multiple super bright flashlights trained on the helo at all times. Hair-raising, but fun!
            Thanks Alpha, you're a much more brave pilot than I, that sounds crazy! I'll be happy just to get it into a 3 ft hover and do a few basic maneuvers to check out the FBL settings. Fingers crossed for liftoff tonight!

Comment

Well, I did technically get it in the air yesterday night, by maybe 3-4 inches. It would appear my predicted head speed was on the low side for maintaining tail rotor authority, even with the 4 blade tail rotor. When I lifted off, it would hold fine through the pull to pitch, but just as the chopper leaves the ground I would run out tail rotor and have to set it back down. I switched to a 14 tooth pinion, which helped a noticeable amount, but I was still bottoming out tail rotor to hold a hover. I will try a higher tooth count pinion to see if I can get things sorted out. Just have to wait on another order now.

Comment

I had a major realization yesterday that should help get things moving forward.. Originally, the Apache was meant for belt drive, and I converted it the torque tube using some spare drop down gears from the 500 Blackhawk/Bell 212 mechanics. The drive gear looked like the exact same machined brass gear as the belt drive gear that came with the Apache, so I never gave it a second thought. So, I dug around through my parts drawer and found the original gear. Sure enough, it was 26T vs the 31T gear that I was using from the Blackhawk, and I promptly installed it in the Apache.

After I got back from work today, I took the Apache out and got it spooled up and... SHE FLIES!! No more problems with tail authority at all. Did some basic hover work and slow forward flight with no issues at all. Next time its off to the RC field with a fully charged battery to start messing around with forward flight :).

Comment

Excellent news! She looks amazing too! :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                    Excellent news! She looks amazing too! :Cool:
                    Thanks Prowler!

Got a video of it in the air today! Was really cutting things close. Even leaving work 30 min early, I only made it to the field about 20 min before sunset. I recorded 2 videos, the one below and a second flight with a walk around of the aircraft. And the second video only turned out to be about 3 seconds since my iPad ran out of space.. Hopefully I can get a longer video and more photos next time.

As for the flight, I do still need to make some adjustments. The cyclic is very sensitive, so it may seem a bit twitchy. Tried to do some hovering in front of the camera, but I hovered on the wrong side of the iPad.. Anyways, it is smooth and was plenty of control authority for scale flight. I flew 2 flights for a total of about 6 minutes with ample reserve. As for overall impressions, man it looks cool in the air! I can't wait to get things adjusted and go flying some more.

Comment

I'm not a helicopter guy but it looked pretty good to me. Congratulations on the successful flight.

Comment

Congrats! Great to see her in the air finally. :)

Comment

Thanks guys, now I just want to fly it more :).

Comment

Congratulations Delta, that is soooo very cool. Very happy for you! Your patience is a lesson to me. Outstanding effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post
                              Congratulations Delta, that is soooo very cool. Very happy for you! Your patience is a lesson to me. Outstanding effort.
                              Thanks man! Hoping to get it back up in the air soon, hopefully with some in flight photos.

Comment

Got the Apache back in the air this morning doing some indoor flying at the Commemorative Air Force Dallas Drone/UAS Expo for a student group. Was good fun, and the it performed quite well. Sorry for the video quality, but that was the best I could get from my friends phone.

Comment

Got in some more flying today, exploring the forward flight envelope a bit more. Was a perfect day, and was nice to see a friend who's been at college for a while now. He took a video, and got some photos of the Gunship in the air. Couldn't ask for a better day at the field!

Comment

Awesome!
                                    TiredIron Aviation
                                    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Am envious DD cause my heli skills after a year of practice were so lame it was sucking the life out of me and I got rid of both the 300 and 500 earlier this year to someone down there in TX to enjoy more than I was.
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Delta is now also known as the Apache Master.

Comment

Thanks guys, I think this one will be joining my regular rotation to the field now, it's a lot of fun to fly!

Comment

Working...
                                          X