Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice! Will you have it with you at the Southern Scale Challenge?

Comment

I will try, but no guarantees. Trying to get a few other projects ready, and not sure if I’ll be able to get the Apache back together by then.

Comment

Hi! I plan on building a Roban 500 size SH-60 helicopter. Which heli mechnics besides the TRex 500 can I use? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MrCollins63 View Post
          Hi! I plan on building a Roban 500 size SH-60 helicopter. Which heli mechnics besides the TRex 500 can I use? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
          Welcome to the forum MrCollins! The kit is really designed for the Trex 500ESP torque tube mechanics. It includes special side frames that lower the tail boom and a raised tail gearbox system that are likely only to fit on Trex 500s or clones of the same model. I would recommend keeping an eye on the Rcgroups classifieds for one, I've seen quite a few good deals pop up there. Alternatively, you can purchase an HK-500TT (Clone of the Trex 500): https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hk-500tt...-w-blades.html. I would personally replace the gears, mainshaft, and torque tube with align parts though. Hope this helps!

Comment

There are also a few clones for sale on ebay as well since hobbyking is out of stock: https://www.ebay.com/itm/GARTT-500FB...YAAOSwq5dcgHK-. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-remote-6...UAAOSwl2haJQDW

Comment

Repairs on the Apache are moving along steadily. The airframe is coming back together, and the metal gear is now installed. It was a perfect match, and actually seems to have a better mesh with the pinion. Hopefully it will be back on its own gear by the weekend!

Comment

Looking good sir!

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                  Welcome to the forum MrCollins! The kit is really designed for the Trex 500ESP torque tube mechanics. It includes special side frames that lower the tail boom and a raised tail gearbox system that are likely only to fit on Trex 500s or clones of the same model. I would recommend keeping an eye on the Rcgroups classifieds for one, I've seen quite a few good deals pop up there. Alternatively, you can purchase an HK-500TT (Clone of the Trex 500): https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hk-500tt...-w-blades.html. I would personally replace the gears, mainshaft, and torque tube with align parts though. Hope this helps!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I have ordered the Gartt 500 Flybarless head, torque tube carbon fiber heli.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCollins63 View Post
                      Thanks for the info. I have ordered the Gartt 500 Flybarless head, torque tube carbon fiber heli.
                      That should work quite nicely!

Over the weekend I finished piecing the Apache fuselage back together. Just needs a few paint touchups and it will be good as new! Still working on the mechanics though. Finishing up setting up the new tail rotor setup, putting on new pitch links, and getting the tail servo reinstalled and set up. Not much more time left though, will be leaving for the Southern Scale Challenge on Thursday!

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                        Today I worked on the setup for the mechanics. The main objective was to substitute the stock align shaft to move the rotorhead lower similar to the real Apache. I did not however, realize how much of a pain this would be. The rotorhead that I bought for this project was a custom scale Apache from CNCHelicopter, which I now would not recommend.. The first issue was that the ball links on the head took a lot of force to move, not free to move as they should. So, I decided to change out all the linkages to Align hardware. While removing one of the ball links, the screw snapped clean off, inside the threaded hole. Trying to remove this lead to the discovery of more issues, including cracked parts, and poor tolerances. So, I elected to use the Align four blade head instead. I had to cut down the tip on the DFC mainshaft to get it to fit, and shrink all of the pitch links, but I finally have something that looks a bit more reasonable. Here are a few photos of the new head and lower positioning, couldn't resist a test fit with the blades attached..
                        Speaking of Blades... where did you get those blades ?

Comment

Originally posted by 3dzoom View Post

Speaking of Blades... where did you get those blades ?
                          From here: http://www.ehirobo.com/carbonhobby-b...ain-rotor.html

Comment

Looks like I got lots of reading to do before I get my kit. I’m sure when I start this I might have a few questions for you.

gravy

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                              Looks like I got lots of reading to do before I get my kit. I’m sure when I start this I might have a few questions for you.

gravy
                              Sounds good, always happy to answer any questions. It’s been a difficult build, but I’ve learned a lot over 2 years of building and tweaking with it.

Comment

Huge thank you to Michael Brown for helping me out with a new metal gear for my 500 size Apache. The original plastic gear was regularly having trouble holding up to the loads of the 4 blade head. Will be great to have it flying without worrying about the gear giving out in flight!

Comment

That is a thing of beauty !

Comment

Looks awesome mate, there some great builds on this site.

Comment

[QUOTE=F106DeltaDart,
                                      Are you creating the gear out of metal or are you buying them premade? I have the Apache with a 4 blade head and haven't had any issues with my gear stripping but, if you have a metal main drive gear makes the flying less hectic knowing the gear won't strip.

Comment

[QUOTE=Apache500;n232693]I am buying them premade, unfortunately I don't have the equipment to machine them. Very greatful to Michael Brown for helping me out there. Surprised that you haven't seen any issues. Mine was ok in level flight, but in more spirited manuevers (e.g. stall turns), the gear would strip out almost immediately. Mine is also a pretty heavy build (7.5 lbs AUW), so that may also effect my results.

Comment

• What is your main pinion gear and head speed?

Comment

Working...
                                          X