Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coming together beautifully. You really are doing some great work. To bad about the camera space.

Comment

Thanks man, it's slow progress, especially during the week.. A bit more progress tonight, weapons pylons have been attached and the rocket pods and hellfires have been dry fitted. I'll glue on the ordinance after the aircraft is painted.

Comment

This weekend I preshaded all of the panel lines, and started painting the the green. Naturally, I ran out of paint when I was about 90% finished . I'll have to wait until next weekend to get more paint, (unless I want to run to North Ft Worth in rush hour..). In the mean time, I installed the tilt servo in the gun, and have started installing the windshield panels. That will be a slow process, since each panel has to be done one at a time, with a 24 hr cure time on the glue. Still, gives an idea of how it will look when finished.

Comment

That's a nice looking paint job! And, she is one big birdy. :Cool:

Comment

Ft. Worth at rush hour used to be one of the scariest places on earth :Scared:. I'm sure it's gotten worse in twenty years. Yikes. That Apache is going to be a show stopper.

Comment

Originally posted by Westsider View Post
              Ft. Worth at rush hour used to be one of the scariest places on earth :Scared:. I'm sure it's gotten worse in twenty years. Yikes. That Apache is going to be a show stopper.
              Thanks guys, Yeah, its not great unless you feel like sitting in the parking lot known as the freeway.. I'll be at EAA Airventure this weekend, so finishing up the paint will have wait. In the mean time, I'll probably start work on the TADS lenses.

Comment

Finally made a bit more progress on the Apache. I got some more paint this morning (as well as snagged a new 550 heli) up at a swap meet in Denton. Finished up the basic paint work this afternoon. Still need to do all the detail painting, but the majority of it is covered. One of the other things that I did was some detailing on the TADS. I had found out from reference photos that the targeting sensor pod and the big sensor on the TADS had a mirror finish. So, I ordered some one-way glass film on Amazon and applied it to some leftover clear plastic. Then I recessed that into the TADS and sensor pod. Here are some pictures of where it is at tonight, took them outside so hopefully it's a bit more visible.

I am debating what to do about the other side on the TADS though. This is where things get difficult. The mold line for that sensor is wrong on the airframe, the bottom should slant the opposite way, and the lense should have 2 separate plates with different angles not a single flat spot:
                Click image for larger version.   Name:	IMG_1163.JPG  Views:	0  Size:	115.5 KB  ID:	92577
                Is it a small thing? Yes, but for all the detail I've put in so far I kind of want to fix it. Would definitely require some dremel surgery though, so I'm not sure if it's worth the risk. But, the angles panes with some fake cameras behind them would certainly look better than just a piece of clear plastic in the existing spot.

Comment

A bit more progress on the cockpit interior, almost ready to install in the helicopter.

Comment

Lookin' really good, Delta! :Cool:

Comment

Thanks Prowler, it's a slow craw but it's making progress. Finished up a few more details and added the cockpit side consoles. Also installed the gun and added windshield wipers. Still need to do the final cockpit install, but here's a few shots of the test fit.

Comment

Very cool...can't wait to see video of it flying!
                        TiredIron Aviation
                        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Very nice! I too am looking forward to the video flight report.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm looking forward to seeing it fly soon! I'm still reworking a few things with the mechanics, but hope to at least ground run it soon. The goal is flight by September! I am currently rebuilding the tail rotor angle gearbox and working out some friction issues with the tail drive gear.

Comment

After 2 weeks of second shift work and 14 hr days, I finally got got back to the Apache this weekend. I didn't do much, but I did get the chance to detail the TADS a bit more. I dremeled out the left side of the TADS, and added in two circular mirrors to simulate the cameras behind the glass. Looks a bit better than the stock molded in lens at least.

Comment

:Cool: looking good
                                AMA 424553

Comment

Good work! :Cool:

Comment

Thanks guys. Got the weapons finished up tonight. The Apache finally has some teeth!

Comment

Sweet
                                      AMA 521691

Comment

Finally finished up the last of the paint and decal work. Time to start setting up the mechanics while I wait for some gearbox parts. Might also take a second look at actuating the Horizontal stabilizer.

Comment

Finally got everything setup for the first flight last night. The new ESC barely fits in the fuselage.. Got my swash phasing set, tail rotor throw calibrated, and all directional checks looking good. So, I decided to try my first hover. I throttled up and got the rotor to full speed and pulled pitch. As soon as I was expecting it to lift off, it sharply rolled right, and the blade tips contacted the concrete. I hit throttle cut immediately and got it back on its gear, and went through my swash setup again. Inputs and phasing looked good. So, I decided to go for a second try, and it ended with the same result. Not sure what is going on. Thinking that it would be the narrow wheel base combined with the raised tailrotor, making dynamic rollover very easy. Anyone ever dealt with anything like this? I'm wondering if a degree or so of left mast tilt (like many full scale helis) would help mitigate the issue... I may also try flying on our fabric runway from the club. The reduced friction should allow it to skid sideways (rather than catch and flip) much more so the small foam tires on pavement.

Comment

Working...
                                          X