You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official RotorScale UH-1A Medic Green 450 Size Helicopter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by NamMedic70-71 View Post
    Flew a helluva lot of 'dustoffs' (hot fire zone med-evac) in my beloved Huey which earned me a few more fruit cocktails on my chest (HM2 USN MACV-SOG II Corps Duc Lap 70-71)
    Miss that distinctive 'whop whop' of the blade. After 50 years I can still tell a Huey from a Chinook or a LOH (Hughes 500 Light Observ Helo) flying overhead. Sometimes I miss those days flying fast and low over the canopy to avoid taking fire (still got me with some shrapnel from an AK on the ground).

    I am seriously considering ordering this Huey so I have been reading the posts but have not come across any RC pilots who have commented on how sensitive the collective and rotor pitch controls are to fly for an advanced novice. I have flown 4 ch winged and 6 ch (dual rotor) so this would be my first venture into using a collective (other than my real-world crew training landing & auto-rotating). If one of you stick jockeys would be so kind as to describe this old geezer would be most grateful. Please include which transmitter you prefer so I don't make an expensive mistake.
    Welcome and thank you for your service! This is not a good first collective pitch helicopter, and is a lot more complex to fly at set up than any coaxial helicopter. I would recommend looking at a Blade 230S for your first CP heli before even considering this model. After that, I'd recommend moving up to a pod and boom Trex 450 and getting comfortable with setup and flight controllers first. Hope this helps!

    Comment


    • Originally posted by NamMedic70-71 View Post
      Flew a helluva lot of 'dustoffs' (hot fire zone med-evac) in my beloved Huey which earned me a few more fruit cocktails on my chest (HM2 USN MACV-SOG II Corps Duc Lap 70-71)
      Miss that distinctive 'whop whop' of the blade. After 50 years I can still tell a Huey from a Chinook or a LOH (Hughes 500 Light Observ Helo) flying overhead. Sometimes I miss those days flying fast and low over the canopy to avoid taking fire (still got me with some shrapnel from an AK on the ground).

      I am seriously considering ordering this Huey so I have been reading the posts but have not come across any RC pilots who have commented on how sensitive the collective and rotor pitch controls are to fly for an advanced novice. I have flown 4 ch winged and 6 ch (dual rotor) so this would be my first venture into using a collective (other than my real-world crew training landing & auto-rotating). If one of you stick jockeys would be so kind as to describe this old geezer would be most grateful. Please include which transmitter you prefer so I don't make an expensive mistake.
      From one old geezer to another. 1st thing is do a recon of your local area and see if there is some guys flying RC helicopters. If you find some they will be of great help to you. Look up RC AMA fields near you, that would be a good start( Most of the guys will be flying Fix wing but there is some RC helicopter guys in the mix). Right now this is not a good choice to jump into for you. The old saying more stick time needed to work into this aircraft. As far as Radio's ? I fly a Specktrum IX20. I've flown many systems over the years from Futabra to JR. Whatever radio you get make sure its has as many channels as you can afford. I fly Fix wing as well, some with 4 engines and they eat channels up fast. I have a BlackHawk that uses 10 channels for all the scale stuff(7 for flying)

      Picture of the last UH1 500 size I built.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	UH1bRSS1.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	231.8 KB
ID:	325297


      Comment


      • Hi everyone. I have just signed up because I need some advice. In the sales advert, the recommended battery for this helicopter is stated as 4S 14.8v. 1600 - 2200mAh 30C but at the start of this forum, it seems to recommend a 6S 22.2v. 1100 - 1500 30C. Now I am not new to helicopters using engines but electrics are a dark art to me! I do have a couple of electric sports planes but followed the manufacturer's recommendations and have had no problems so far. Are either of these batteries compatible as they have 2 different voltages? Also, I am using a 4S 14.8v. 4250mAh 35C battery in one of my planes, so can I use it in this helicopter? Thank you.
        Regards
        Android

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Android View Post
          Hi everyone. I have just signed up because I need some advice. In the sales advert, the recommended battery for this helicopter is stated as 4S 14.8v. 1600 - 2200mAh 30C but at the start of this forum, it seems to recommend a 6S 22.2v. 1100 - 1500 30C. Now I am not new to helicopters using engines but electrics are a dark art to me! I do have a couple of electric sports planes but followed the manufacturer's recommendations and have had no problems so far. Are either of these batteries compatible as they have 2 different voltages? Also, I am using a 4S 14.8v. 4250mAh 35C battery in one of my planes, so can I use it in this helicopter? Thank you.
          Regards
          Android
          You’ll want to use a 4S 2200. The early versions were 6S, but the newer ESC in the current version is only rated to 4S. It flies great on the 4S power system anyway. I prefer it over the higher headspeed on 6S.

          Comment


          • Thanks for your quick answer.
            Regards
            Android

            Comment


            • Hi, I am fairly new to Scale Helicopters. Been flying scale aircraft for a number of years along with Pod/Boom Helicopters. Thought I would branch out to scale helicopters and just order a 450 size UH-1 Huey from Motion RC. Was wondering with the 3DPUP files are still available and if there are other ones beside the ones pictured here?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Titan325 View Post
                Hi, I am fairly new to Scale Helicopters. Been flying scale aircraft for a number of years along with Pod/Boom Helicopters. Thought I would branch out to scale helicopters and just order a 450 size UH-1 Huey from Motion RC. Was wondering with the 3DPUP files are still available and if there are other ones beside the ones pictured here?
                Titan, check out post 124 on page 7 for the files

                Comment


                • This Roban UH1 "Super Combo Kit" I purchased from MotionRC is the gift that keeps on giving and keeps on siphoning money from my pocket.

                  This kludge excuse of a kit is a joke. This will be the last thing I purchase from MotionRC. MotionRC/Roban basically grabbed a bunch of mismatched leftovers from their dusty shelf and threw it in a box and called it a kit. Silly me! Also silly others who actually believed this joke would assemble and fly out of the box and who ended up crashing their UH1 because they didn't setup on a test jig first and get the heli flying before placing it into the fiberglass shell. $1000 here, $1000 there, it's only money. I should say it's only the customer's money since MotionRC won't do squat after their 30 day fogettaboutit support policy.

                  Quick summary of some of the earlier problems...

                  1. Received mishmash of 47 mm and 54 mm parts for a 54mm frame. I was then sent a couple of spacers the were wrong size. How difficult is it to subtract the difference and take that missing 7mm and divide it into two 3.5mm spacers? I also ended up buying over $200 of parts that were either wrong or missing. Some parts of the kludge design don't even exist... i.e. be ready to machine your own parts such as the correct 3.5mm spacers and a self lubricating bushing for the tail drive shaft. I could go on but you should get my drift by now.

                  Now on to the latest problem.... Apparently the MotionRC/Roban knockoff/counterfeit thrust bearings are total trash! Weird thing about thrust bearings is that they can feel just fine but when you fly them they basically try to lock up and create a slow tail wag that NO controller can deal with. I also decided to get the Align "Red" upgraded tail bevel gears. Ed Ardriano at MotionRC told me that the crap gears that were originally sent to me would shear in seconds of the first flight.

                  No big deal I just threw another $125 at it today and ordered "GENUINE Align parts to replace the entire tail assembly. Here's a short video that you can skip through for your viewing pleasure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AaIVuzTDds Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	231.5 KB
ID:	331256Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	177.3 KB
ID:	331257Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	331258Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	331259

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                    In time for Independence Day, here are some updated 3DPUP .STL files for the UH-1. With a few hours of printing and basic painting/cutting/screwing/soldering, one can really personalize the model beyond what arrives in the box. I especially like the fiberglass body because typical techniques from the plastic modeling world can be used. I haven't had the time to take this model to the next level, but it's nice knowing I could. Work in progress...

                    Stance: Cut the struts down the lower the stance as shown below. For more scale, shorten the skids themselves. I haven't done this yet on mine.


                    3DPUPs: The files attached for the most part screw together. You'll need lots of 1.5mm wide screws.



                    Ammo belt: The great thing about PLA is that it softens under heat. A half second pass over a lighter will soften areas enough to bend the strip before it hardens again.



                    Drill 2mm holes into the fiberglass, and use those holes to also drill through the holes of clear green sheet. I try to minimize where glue is used.
                    Hi, this might be a stupid question.
                    I'm new to this hobby and just ordered a 450 Huey that I certainly will want to personalize when it arrives.
                    What type of 1,5mm screws are you referring to?
                    I've googled around a bit but it didn’t make me any wiser.
                    Will M1.6 6mm cylinder screws work (as per the link)?
                    If not, what exactly do I need?

                    https://www.conrad.se/p/toolcraft-10...100-st-1059520

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X