You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official RotorScale AS350 Alpine Yellow and Red 450 Size Helicopter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maidened this morning!

Collective range: +/- 12°
    Cyclic range: +/- 10°
    Tx (HH) tail gain = +30 (as viewed in the SETUP->MONITOR page of the ZYX-Assisant software)
    ZYX Assistant BASIC page values: All default.
    Headspeed: unknown - (need to setup governor mode and measure)

1st Impression? She flys pretty dang good!

Heading out now for flight #2 but I thought I'd share the maiden:

Rotorscale AS 350 450 Heli Maiden

Edit: the above flight is quite boring - the following (third) one is quite a bit more interesting...

Rotorscale AS 350 450 Heli - Maiden-day Flight #3

Note that I did swap out the stock Emax AS3054 tail servo with a KST-DS215 and repositioned its mounting. I also disassembled and reassembled the airframe to ensure all metal-to-metal bolts had threadlock prior to maiden.

Edit #2 - I just noticed that the landing gear has cracked (I had one landing that was not quite grease factor 8 - but it was not that hard - it should have survived it). Need to beef that part up.
    Last edited by ridgerunner; May 9, 2019, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Nice, looks like you've got it flying pretty well!

Comment

Flips, loops and rolls, oh my!

Rotorscale AS 350 450 Heli - Sunset Flight #8

Comment

9 packs through my AS-350 so far today (I've lost track of the flight count, but have over an hour and a half airtime on the "odometer" timer in my Taranis). After a few more packs this evening, it will be time to move on and start focusing on setting up the 450 Airwolf!

Rotorscale AS 350 450 Heli - She's Flying Pretty Sweet!

Comment

Note that the downloadable manual on the MotionRC Rotorscale product page SUPPORT tab (Platinum25A40AV4.pdf) is for a newer version of the HW 40A ESC - it is NOT the correct manual for the ESC actually installed on the RS helis.
              I have located a more up-to-date version of the Hobbywing ESC manual for the ESC that is installed on my Rotorscale 450s (this HW ESC is an older version of the Hobbywing Platinum series - it is NOT the V4, or the V3). See attached file: (HW-01-PL-101218.pdf)

EDIT: MotionRC has updated their support page download to the correct manual version. :Cool:
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for bringing that to my attention. I have updated the PDF accordingly on all RotorScale support pages. :Cool:
                My YouTube RC videos:
                https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

450 Alpine Yellow

Hey ridgerunner, did you have any problem with your tail not been centered
                  I tried everything in the Gyro app still cannot get it centered a lot of left rudder very little right rudder

Comment

Originally posted by wilbertwday View Post
                    450 Alpine Yellow

Hey ridgerunner, did you have any problem with your tail not been centered
                    I tried everything in the Gyro app still cannot get it centered a lot of left rudder very little right rudder
                    Yes. On both my AS350 and B222, the tail servo needed adjustment. Note that I have flown the AS350 extensively (around 30 flights and approx 2 hours airtime), but I have not yet flown the B222 (although it is very near being able to maiden - probably tomorrow morning).

To see whats going on with the tail servo, its important to remove the mechanics from the fuse - only then can you see whats going on. These are the steps I am using to setup the tail to get it into the ball park for a maiden flight:
                    1. Remove the mechanics from the fuselage. This requires removing one side of the tail mechanics (the tail shaft needs to come off).
                    2. Once the mechanics are removed, re-assemble the tail mechanics.
                    3. Adjust the belt tension by loosening the tail boom mount then re tightening while holding the boom such that the belt tension is "just right". Note that the belt will loosen up a little bit after the first few flights as it breaks in.
                    4. Install the RX and FBL, and create a 6-channel model in the Tx with all trims and sub-trims zeroed out. Connect the FBL to the computer and follow the FBL setup procedure according to the mfg recommendations all the way up to the point of setting the tail zero position.
                    5. Set the rudder zero point using the FBL software (i.e. this is where we "90" the servo horn). With the rudder stick centered on the Tx (with no trim), and rate mode selected on the gyro, adjust the zero point in the PC software so that the rudder servo horn is 90° to the linkage rod.
                    6. Adjust the rudder servo mounting position on the tail boom. During this entire step, keep the Tx rudder stick centered and the software on the zero set page so that the servo arm is always at 90° to the linkage. Loosen the two servo mount screws so that the servo assembly (the servo and its two mounting arms) can easily slide forward and aft along the tail boom. Go find a sharp pencil - we need to determine the servo's range of motion and place it in the center of its range as follows:
                      • Find and mark the forward end of the tail servo mounting range. While watching the pitch slider on the tailshaft, slide the servo assembly forward until the tail pitch slider reaches its hard limit on the tailshaft (the farthest position from the tail blades). Using the pencil, scribe a line on the tailboom perpendicular to its axis using the aluminum tail mount as ruler guide.
                      • Find and mark the aft end of the tail servo mounting range. While watching the pitch slider on the tailshaft, slide the servo assembly rearwards until the tail pitch slider reaches its hard limit (the closest position to the tail blades). Using the pencil, scribe another line on the tailboom perpendicular to its axis using the aluminum tail mount as ruler guide.
                      • You should now have two clear lines on the tailboom showing the full mounting range of the tail servo. Using your calibrated eyeball and the pencil, place a third mark at the midpoint between the other two marks. Slide the servo assembly to this "center-of-range" position and tighten down the servo mount screws.
                    7. Now that the servo is mounted in the center of its range, go into the FBL software and set the rudder limits so that you get maximum pitch slider travel without binding.

Done and done. Note that when the rudder stick is centered while in rate mode, the servo horn should be at 90° to the linkage and the tail pitch will have a bit of angle to counter the torque of the main rotor. It probably won't be perfect for flying in rate mode, but should work A-Ok while in heading hold (AVCS) mode. To get the rudder trimmed in rate mode is beyond the scope of this procedure (I'm still in the process of figuring out how to do this with the ZYX-S2 FBL unit.)

Hope this helps! :)

Comment

I'm seriously considering adding this to my next order as part of my re-entry into electric helicopters -
                      and i would really like to scale this one up a bit!

Were the STL files for the 3DPUP parts Alpha mentioned ever made available?

Thanks!
                      RR

Comment

ridgerunner -

Thanks for posting your setup info -
                        That should be a big help!! :Cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Chief58D View Post
                          I'm seriously considering adding this to my next order as part of my re-entry into electric helicopters -
                          and i would really like to scale this one up a bit!

Were the STL files for the 3DPUP parts Alpha mentioned ever made available?

Thanks!
                          RR
                          RR, I've got them sitting here awaiting input from the community, as far as attachment method. Currently the antennas and other external details are pinned, meaning the user would drill a hole, insert the part's two pins, then glue them from the inside with a blob of epoxy or thick CA. This is an easy way to install the details, but it's not as durable as a screw on attachment method. If people wanted the files now, I could post the pinned designs. If people wanted the screw-on design, I'd need to resize some of the part bases to accommodate a 1.2mm screw.
                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Hi Alpha -
                            Thanks for getting back so quickly!

I'll likely take on the scaling effort after flying the AS350 "stock" a bit, so if you think you might have time in the near future to modify your STL files for screw-on bases, I can certainly wait a bit.
                            Also, I am very interested in adding the lights you have pictured in your photo, so if you have any recommendations for specific LED's and/or lighting controllers to use, it would be most appreciated.

RR

Comment

Hi Alpha -
                              Thanks for getting back so quickly!

I'll likely take on the scaling effort after flying the AS350 "stock" a bit, so if you think you might have time in the near future to modify your STL files for screw-on bases, I can certainly wait a bit.
                              Also, I am very interested in adding the lights you have pictured in your photo, so if you have any recommendations for specific LED's and/or lighting controllers to use, it would be most appreciated.

RR
                              Hey Chief, if you are planning on scaling out the 350 and keeping the stock scheme, I’ve still got a set of snowshoes and nose mirrors that I made for mine before I redid the paint scheme on mine to a Police version. If you want, they’re yours.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Hey Chief, if you are planning on scaling out the 350 and keeping the stock scheme, I’ve still got a set of snowshoes and nose mirrors that I made for mine before I redid the paint scheme on mine to a Police version. If you want, they’re yours.
                                Awesome!! PM on the way...:Cool:

Comment

Can anyone recommend a decent readily-available swashplate leveling tool that works well with these Rotorscale 450's?
                                  Seems the Align tools are getting to be in short supply.

Thanks!

Comment

Can anyone recommend a decent readily-available swashplate leveling tool that works well with these Rotorscale 450's?
                                    Seems the Align tools are getting to be in short supply.

Thanks!
                                    Here you go Chief!

Comment

Cool - thanks!

Comment

Hi, I just purchased this heli, and was wondering what air frame is this, Align 450 Sport? I will also be using an Ikon Mini2 for the FBL what are the refresh rates Hz and center pulse for the servos.Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by RotorHead19 View Post
                                          Hi, I just purchased this heli, and was wondering what air frame is this, Align 450 Sport? I will also be using an Ikon Mini2 for the FBL what are the refresh rates Hz and center pulse for the servos.Thanks in advance!
                                          Welcome rotorhead! The mechanics are a clone of the Trex 450 SeV2. All of the servos are 333hz and 1520us.

Comment

Working...
                                          X