You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official RotorScale AS350 Alpine Yellow and Red 450 Size Helicopter Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CM_Aero
    replied
    Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
    I use a small piece of duct tape on each one. BTW - this part is quite fragile so be sure to land carefully!
    It sure is. I had to reinforce the Huey fuselage because of this issue. Not the best design

Leave a comment:

• ridgerunner
    replied
    Originally posted by CM_Aero View Post
    ... I did notice something odd - the skids were not glued/fastened to the fuse. The skid tubes slid back and forth. Anyone have an idea of how to secure them? ...
    I use a small piece of duct tape on each one. BTW - this part is quite fragile so be sure to land carefully!

Leave a comment:

• CM_Aero
    replied
    Originally posted by bpjacobsen View Post

Yeah, I noticed the loose skids also. Have not checked the parts bag yet but wonder if there is something in there used to fasten these?
    Good idea. I didn't check the bag yet. I maidened the mechanics yesterday and they flew well for the most part. Been having a ton of tail issues with the Rotorscale Huey but was glad to see this one maiden well.

To remove the mechanics, remove the tail rotor and slider. No need to remove the belt - just slip it off the tail rotor drive gear. I checked all the bolts on mine and they all had thread lock. But no grease in the head at all.

Leave a comment:

• bpjacobsen
    replied
    Originally posted by CM_Aero View Post
    I received my A-star today. Looks like a great model - fuse was in great condition and the windows arent as dark as the original. Removed the mechanics to check everything over prior to maiden. I did notice something odd - the skids were not glued/fastened to the fuse. The skid tubes slid back and forth. Anyone have an idea of how to secure them? I probably will use epoxy. Also, looking for a scale exhaust 3d print file. This is the exhaust that came on the fuse.
    Yeah, I noticed the loose skids also. Have not checked the parts bag yet but wonder if there is something in there used to fasten these?

Leave a comment:

• bpjacobsen
    replied
    Just got this helicopter delivered today. I want to remove the body and check all bolts/add threadlock. Looks like you just remove the tail piece and the 4 bolts on the bottom? But then it also appears the tail slider assembly had to come off? Hoping I don't need to remove the belt as that is PITA. Can someone please tell me the suggested process to remove the body? Seems like aside from the tail slider part, it should be pretty easy?

Leave a comment:

• CM_Aero
    replied
    I received my A-star today. Looks like a great model - fuse was in great condition and the windows arent as dark as the original. Removed the mechanics to check everything over prior to maiden. I did notice something odd - the skids were not glued/fastened to the fuse. The skid tubes slid back and forth. Anyone have an idea of how to secure them? I probably will use epoxy. Also, looking for a scale exhaust 3d print file. This is the exhaust that came on the fuse.

Leave a comment:

• CM_Aero
    replied
    Alpha Have the 3DP parts for the exhaust been completed yet?

Leave a comment:

• Alpha
    replied
    BWR The factory uses a two stage automotive paint that they custom mix, so matching the sheen will be difficult. Matching the color though is easy though --take a small piece (such as the horizontal stabilizer fins) to Home Depot or your local hardware store, and ask them to color match it. They'll have a scanning machine there that outputs a color recipe. Order a small test pint of paint, interior acrylic high gloss, for a few dollars.

Another option if you want to use conventional model paint is Testors Yellow, but it's not perfectly exact.

Leave a comment:

• BWR
    replied
    Does anyone know if there is a matching touch up paint for the alpine yellow?

My paint is flaking really bad in spots.

Leave a comment:

• ridgerunner
    replied
    Originally posted by Topshot19 View Post

can you post some pictures up of the ones you have. I’m looking to get the one of the md500 variants. I would love to see a build video.
    The two I had been flying; the Airwolf B222 and AS-350 have been in my shop inbox for many months. Don't have any recent photos but here are a few (non-scale) videos I took last summer...

The AS-350 in my backyard:

The B222 at a scenic stop along I-70 on a trip back from Colorado:

And here is another backyard flight of my Tarot Sport V1 flying at low headspeed (the original RotorScale 450s were using these mecahnics)

All of these helis were fitted with the Tarot ZYX-S2 FBL. As I said, the other three are still new, sitting pristine in their original shipping boxes. Last summer, my main computer died which put a damper on my enthusiasm. I have yet to resurrect another computer to install my video editing software to allow me to get back to "work".

Leave a comment:

• Topshot19
    replied
    Originally posted by ridgerunner View Post
    Thank you for the feedback and answers to my questions. This is more like the "responsive to customers" MotionRC that I have grown to know and love! Since discovering you guys in the fall of 2017, I've placed 33 orders totalling more than $8K on helis, planks and various spares and accessories. And to further show my support, I've also purchased several of your T-shirts and ball caps swag as well, and I wear them proudly! (I am currently wearing one of my MotionRC black T-shirts.)

[SOAPBOX]
    I just hope that in your efforts to bring out so many new products so quickly, you will NOT end up spreading yourselves too thinly. Note that when it comes to heli pilots, choice of flybarless controllers (FBL) its almost like religion - there are die-hard fans to each of a variety of makes - e.g. Mikado VBAR/NEO, Brain/IKON, Spirit, MicroBeast, Skookum and yes, even the Tarot ZYX-S2. (I'm in the last camp - but I like IKON as well.) When you offer/force just one brand of FBL with these helis, (e.g. MicroBeast), you are alienating all non-MicroBeast heli enthusiasts - and there are a lot of them - (the most popular ones right now are probably VBAR/NEO, Brain/IKON and Spirit). If you offer the non-FBL version, you will hook many more potential buyers - (in a manner similar to your new AL-37 - I'm betting that many of the sales are for the generic all-white version). Just Sayin'!
    [/SOAPBOX]

I just now went and ordered a new UH-1A to complete my collection. As I said before, I currently have five of the six Rotorscale 450 models (with 3 still in boxes and 2 in my workbench INBOX). I still plan on eventually doing an in-depth RotorScale review and "build" video, but I operate at only one of two speeds: SLOW or STOPPED!

Thanks once again for providing such very cool toys for all us boys (and girls) of all ages!
    Jeff Roberson
    Austin, UT
    can you post some pictures up of the ones you have. I’m looking to get the one of the md500 variants. I would love to see a build video.

Leave a comment:

• Aros
    replied
    Thanks Jeff, that's excellent feedback.

Leave a comment:

• ridgerunner
    replied
    Thank you for the feedback and answers to my questions. This is more like the "responsive to customers" MotionRC that I have grown to know and love! Since discovering you guys in the fall of 2017, I've placed 33 orders totalling more than $8K on helis, planks and various spares and accessories. And to further show my support, I've also purchased several of your T-shirts and ball caps swag as well, and I wear them proudly! (I am currently wearing one of my MotionRC black T-shirts.)

[SOAPBOX]
    I just hope that in your efforts to bring out so many new products so quickly, you will NOT end up spreading yourselves too thinly. Note that when it comes to heli pilots, choice of flybarless controllers (FBL) its almost like religion - there are die-hard fans to each of a variety of makes - e.g. Mikado VBAR/NEO, Brain/IKON, Spirit, MicroBeast, Skookum and yes, even the Tarot ZYX-S2. (I'm in the last camp - but I like IKON as well.) When you offer/force just one brand of FBL with these helis, (e.g. MicroBeast), you are alienating all non-MicroBeast heli enthusiasts - and there are a lot of them - (the most popular ones right now are probably VBAR/NEO, Brain/IKON and Spirit). If you offer the non-FBL version, you will hook many more potential buyers - (in a manner similar to your new AL-37 - I'm betting that many of the sales are for the generic all-white version). Just Sayin'!
    [/SOAPBOX]

I just now went and ordered a new UH-1A to complete my collection. As I said before, I currently have five of the six Rotorscale 450 models (with 3 still in boxes and 2 in my workbench INBOX). I still plan on eventually doing an in-depth RotorScale review and "build" video, but I operate at only one of two speeds: SLOW or STOPPED!

Thanks once again for providing such very cool toys for all us boys (and girls) of all ages!
    Jeff Roberson
    Austin, UT

Leave a comment:

• Gravythe clown
    replied
    Love the microbeast plus. Couple things I’ve added to my setup sequence.
    1 use a separate BEC for receiver binding / setup and ESC calibration. I use a spare ESC for this. Power up the MBP and receiver. I use Sbus so I let it auto discover. Then after bound and channels are set. I go full throttle and power up the heli ESC to calibrate it. Must make sure you pull the red pin temporarily out of heli ESC during this part of the setup.
    after calibration I power down all power and hook the ESC red wire back up. Now I finish the setup using heli esc bec.
    the other step I’ve added is when I get to item “I” “swashplate servo direction” before I move to next step I use a pitch gage and adjust me blade grip ball linkages. I move first blade to front of heli in parallel with boom. Set pitch to 0deg using throttle stick. Then I rotate blades so the next blade is now in the front parallel potion and check with pitch gage. Is pitch is not 0deg I adjust the linkage. If two blades done. If multiple blade continue until all blades are adjusted and close to 0degs.

Just my $0.02

gravy

Leave a comment:

• F106DeltaDart
    replied
    I am working on a setup guide for the microbeast over here: https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/el...uey#post237068. Still a work in progress, but I’ll be adding more throughout the week.

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    Yes, they are for sale separately. MicroBeast Plus link: https://www.motionrc.com/products/be...barless-system\

Ed will make some posts showing the setup. It works extremely well in this heli and the MicroBeast Plus is very simple to setup (which I know many of you have been requesting). It is a little more pricey but worth it if you are looking for ease of use.

Leave a comment:

• Topshot19
    replied
    Originally posted by Tom View Post
    It is shipping from Motion RC here in IL. We can send it by Priority Mail if you would like so it has a chance of arriving quickly.

will the micro beasts be sold separately as well?

Leave a comment:

• Gravythe clown
    replied
    My UH-1 is schedule for Friday delivery. Any chances. Only one going to Fresno CA I’m sure.

gravy

p.s. You guys are awesome if you could get it here the same time my heli arrives

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    It is shipping from Motion RC here in IL. We can send it by Priority Mail if you would like so it has a chance of arriving quickly.

Leave a comment:

• Gravythe clown
    replied
    Thanks. Are they shipping from you Motion or your supplier. I’m trying to figure if I have any chance of it being here when my UH-1 arrives this weekend.

Gravy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X