Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flew mine today. Met with DCORSAIR and did a flight he checked my blade tracking, we Adjusted and ended up adjusting right back where I had them. Lowered my head speed by 5% and found the sweet spot. Vibration is all but gone.
    I did almost lose it at one point. After hovering around for a bit and happy with how she was, I took off and on my left back to come back we both heard a noise. That noise that you know instantly “this ain’t going to be good” I was able to bring it back and land just fine. Shut it down and was instantly reminded what it was I wanted to do before this flight. Lock tight the set screws on the cascading tail. The inside was free and flopping around. That was a close call.

with all that I’m looking forward to more flights now. If only this thing transported a little easy.

Gravy

Comment

No house work completed, but got some more time in on the build.
      Decided to upgrade the unilight module from a 4 to an 8 channel so I had more light channels/options when i add on the simulated rockets and machine gun, so had to redesign and print a new electrics module to hold it, Just printing up a servo wire holder to add in. Need this module to house all the electrics and basically just plug into the frame, keeps wiring simple and clean, and everything accessible if needed by simply unplugging and sliding out.
      Neo board printed and installed, took a few prints but got it the way I wanted.
      Bec Guards for the esc re-soldered with needed longer leads and installed.
      Also finally got the cascade tail completed. Took some time scrounging through part bins...but got her done.
      Also a note on this, I had over .040 play between the drive bevel and side bevel on this tail, First time seeing where the drive bevel was not press fit into the bearings ? I shimmed out the side bevel as far as I could without removing marterial from the spacer, than shimmed up the drive bevel .020.

Flight packs also arrived yesterday....trying to figure out a sound mounting system for the packs, going to try a silicone/rubber mold tomorrow, basically I'm going to fill the front belly of the body with a rubber resin about 3/8-1/2" thick, let it set a bit, than place the 2 batts in and let it cure. This should produce a accurate mold that is removable, and add about 8oz to the nose. Will add a strap bracket to hold it all in....
      Also got the rear stab hinge made, not as pretty as others, but is functional. Hope to install servo in the rear section so limited linkages, designing mount for it tonight....

Anyways Merry Christmas all.....Wishing Santa brings you a new toy?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
        Flew mine today. Met with DCORSAIR and did a flight he checked my blade tracking, we Adjusted and ended up adjusting right back where I had them. Lowered my head speed by 5% and found the sweet spot. Vibration is all but gone.
        I did almost lose it at one point. After hovering around for a bit and happy with how she was, I took off and on my left back to come back we both heard a noise. That noise that you know instantly “this ain’t going to be good” I was able to bring it back and land just fine. Shut it down and was instantly reminded what it was I wanted to do before this flight. Lock tight the set screws on the cascading tail. The inside was free and flopping around. That was a close call.

with all that I’m looking forward to more flights now. If only this thing transported a little easy.

Gravy
        Glad to hear it wanted to comeback to you... lost a tail on my N5C this fall (tail bevel pin broke) Able to throttle hold and get down with minimal damage, Dont want to think how fast this apache is going to want to drop if I did that lol good job

Comment

Got a few more day's on the build in between trying to do housework, hard situation when an idea pops in you're head and you get distracted :)
          Power module completed, and finally received the electronics I have been awaiting for over 8 weeks.... Wires take up to much space, and will proceed with a circuit board setup as I had planned to for the module before the maiden.
          Air sensors now movable, STI files for those who want will be posted on thingverse shortly, uses main mount and 4 piece print, 3x6x2 bearings required.
          Silicone mold for the batts went so well, that "hard situation" popped another idea and it is printing tonight.... Idea is a hard case mount in-beaded in the silicone mold with hold-down mounts:)
          Idea came from the "box" I had printed to simulate the battery placement while the silicone cued, they stated 12 hours curing, i kept checking it, brain kept wondering from house work, 18 hour's later I went to remove the mold and it was pretty secure...That's when the new idea hit lol
          Will post the pre mold and new mold Idea shortly
          On the tail section working on the working rear stab and Idea for upper tail Installation without removing the rotor hubs/tail shaft.....
          Attached Files

Comment

Battery mold and mounts done, clearance not much with the 6000 packs, may have to fine-tune a tad....
            Drilled some light holes, tail was too close for comfort, but was able to stay accurate in-between the beers and get it drilled correct lol going to look good.

While I either have way to many cold beers in me or seeing things, I found this video that shows a red flashing light on the right side? correct me if I'm wrong? or you see it too?
            Also contemplating on a re-paint....I want too weather this thing up good....Has to be a one of a kind as we all want.....
            If you look the below vid at 1:00 this is roughed up :) Guess I'm going to have to practice some airbrushing technics...this is what i'm looking it to look like when completed.
            Also if you venture towards the end of the video 9:28 let me know if it is a refection? Me? or is actually there???

Happy new year all, glad to say goodbye to 2020...Stay Safe
            Opps the video :(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf4e6pSCVQA

Attached Files

Comment

More completed this week, mechanics/flybar are now setup, just need to get the esc/governor programmed and will be ready for a spool-up..
              Did a change on the module print and may leave as is, nice and tidy all connections are now on the front.
              Rear servo mount test printed and should work fine, was going to fasten from the inside, but now going to run 2 small button heads from the back, won't be to noticeable if at all.
              Also opened up the hole for the tail rotor slightly, I can now insert the tail-shaft assembly without removing anything. New upper boom support test printed, lower piece will be attached permantly, upper portion is removable to allow the upper boom to be inserted, and fastened with a 3mm bolt, Now i have to figure out how to "un-glue" the support that is there ????
              Also got the front sensors assembled, there was a tonne of slop in it so affixed a bearing in the center piece added a cple washers and all good, rotates freely and zero slop.I do plan on adding servos and making the 3 functional in the future.

How far can one go with mod's?????
              Have a look at this down right impressive......Have tried contacting him but have not heard back yet, maybe no longer with us.....
              Roban ApacheLots of details added3D printed turbinesSounds and light systemAnimatronic systemTiny Circuits controllers/ScreensBuild done in 2017Will do furth...

Attached Files

Comment

Been playing with positioning the tail boom into the body, In my case it it about 1/4 - 1/3 of an inch short to position the tail output correctly, Looks like I have to take a tad out of the body for elevator linkage movement, and give it a slight shim up in the front mount of 1/4".
                ​​​​​​Also something grabbed my attention..... Been considering that issue with the aileron/pitch levers being at a stupid angle, and noticed that this is equipped with a totally different setup than any of roban's schematics show?
                All roban's exploded views show one fulcrum point, this has two?
                Have contacted them twice asking for an updated schematic as do have a notchy pitch bearing and want to replace and or see if it is assembled correctly ? But have not seen a reply, know there is a lot of complaint's of outdated manuals.....
                Have any of you ran across this different setup or have a new schematic?

Have also decided to do a full repaint due to deciding to cut engine bay doors and installing 3d printed GE-T700D engines with operational edf motors and hopefully lighting, realize it is going to delay the finish a few more weeks, but has to be done :) Base design is done and printed, just going over each section and adding more details.....Here is what im going off of....
                T700-701D 3D Turboshaft Engine Interactive Training Project - YouTube

Be sure to play with the 3d version at the end of this.....
                ArtStation - GE T700-701D Turboshaft Engine, David Stewart

Stay safe....

Comment

Hello. I have also been working on one of these Apaches for the past year and a half. Just slowly tinkering with it. I have a question about the head speed to run out. I would like to run as low ahead speed as I can without obviously losing tell authority. I am absolutely no good with understanding the gearing
                  math. I have the Align 800MX 520KV motor with the stock pinion from the kit. I don’t know if this is enough information but I’m just wondering if someone can provide for me what head speed you are running or what I should be trying for?

Comment

I ran a 510 KV and it was perfect for me.

Look for an app called “IRCHA’s RC Heli toolbox”
                    it will let you do 4 or 2 gear setups.

Gravy

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
                      I ran a 510 KV and it was perfect for me.

Look for an app called “IRCHA’s RC Heli toolbox”
                      it will let you do 4 or 2 gear setups.

Gravy
                      lOOKS TO BE NO LONGER, SOUNDED INTERESTING

Comment

In App Store (I use iPhone) type in Heli toolbox.

I just checked, it’s still there.

Gravy
                        Attached Files

Comment

Tkx.... was there, had a brain fart and was searching on the computer for it :()

Comment

Been busy at the shop so not much done on the build the last 2 weeks or so, have the mechanics setup in the frame and aligned, some slight shimming and trimming but I'm happy how it finished.
                            Dumped the idea of the 3d printed upper tail shaft holder in the tail and just went with cut foam, added a few more screws to the cover and it holds it all in nice and tight on the bench, actual test flight will confirm or not :() What is nice I can install the upper tail/rotor assembly as 1 piece, no mess'in with the rotor set screws once installed, don't need that one time where "ya I tightend that Scenario.
                            Finally grew some balls and got the engine bay doors cut, they have been marked out for 10 days, Hard to bring ones self to why I would want to cut up a perfectly good looking model, something like auto practice.....Why would I want to turn the motor off on a perfectly good flying helicopter????

Some fiberglass work to do this weekend adding a lip to the body and re-enforcing the cut out doors, there a little flimsy, thought they would have been a bit thicker on the glass?
                            Have seen several pics of an antenna atop the front of the engine doors, plan on printing up something with a cam/rods to secure the doors...work underway.

Now I have access to add cooling fans in the rear and some duct work to pull hot air through from the interior, access to the side lighting, and air sensor mounting, plan on making the rotatable for transport, and also put in nice printed engines which i have to redo as there is more room in there than thought.....

So far it has been a enjoyable build, not sure what I'm going to do when it's done, yes fly it enjoy it.....And maybe order another :)
                            Attached Files

Comment

Girl coming along good and slow, work seams to get in the way ?
                              Dumped the fiberglass lip idea and just printed some .5x5mm strips and glued them in, worked fine and no mess. got the hinges designed but the sla printer just cant get that fine in detail even with a .1 nozzle at the lowest speed so I just had to use that as an excuse to buy a resin printer :)
                              This is a whole new learning curve on 3d printing.... But the detail is amazing......
                              Redid the fan ducts for the engine bays, just have too cut the inner hole, 40x20 fans will sit in the rear exits and suck the hot air from the interior.
                              Have around a dozen more pieces to design for the dummy engines, than when done will do a final print on the new resin printer for the details.
                              Hope too get the hinges and door fasteners completed this week /-weekend and than it's off for a repaint, may take apart the canopy for this as will save a tonne of taping off...did order new windows so may be the way to go. Haven't decided which color will come close to this? trying to locate the paint code, possibly can get my local auto-paint store to mix up for me?

Attached Files

Comment

Luv'in the new printer, re-doing most of the scale parts that were printed, Also have some "halo drab" paint finally coming, hoping it is a better match than what i created ?
                                Attached Files

Comment

The antennas on the engine door are not really antennas. They are rubber balls on a support tube. When you open the engine doors the balls rest on the winglets and provide support for the doors. You can stand on the doors and use them as a platform to work on the engine or rotor head.

Do you have a link to the 3d printed pilots and stl files on thingiverse?

Click image for larger version

Name:	1000w_q95.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	304342

Comment

Originally posted by AtomicFrawg View Post
                                    The antennas on the engine door are not really antennas. They are rubber balls on a support tube. When you open the engine doors the balls rest on the winglets and provide support for the doors. You can stand on the doors and use them as a platform to work on the engine or rotor head.

Do you have a link to the 3d printed pilots and stl files on thingiverse?

Name:	1000w_q95.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	304342
                                    That makes more sense lol Never found any info on it so "assumed:"
                                    Still putting a directory together with the files, have them spread all over 2 drives.... will see if i can get them all grouped this week

Comment

Ok think i messed up the pic sizes but files are there...

let me know if ok or not? i can attach to an email to you or anyone.....
                                      ok removed files did not take will attempt again :(

Comment

Name:	image_71678.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	312592 Hope all are keeping safe? In between busy work and spring cleaning did get my 1st jab......
                                        My build time has been extended here, were in for 2 more weeks of lockdown :) haven't been out since a few nice days in march, only back yard bashing with the logo 200.....
                                        Got back onto it last week and got a bit more done, new door hinges and latches printed, rest of the lighting holes and holders cut and printed,
                                        Supports for the doors are actually going to be used to open/close the latches, connected with a 3mm bolt to the levers, works pretty good, just some fitting to do before the respray.
                                        Dummy engines printed, awaiting assembly, working on removing the front portion of the inside front engine bay and incorporating a small edf fan with lighting into the dummy engine for a effect??
                                        Also picked up a new motor but maybe overkill 4525-520....may need a longer belt? will try the 4030-500 first....mechanics are ready for a test run as soon as we can get into the field....
                                        Hope to start shooting some paint too her on the 24 weekend ????
                                        Attached Files

Comment

My buddy Gravy, he sold me his and I have been flying it, as heavy as these are, they fly very well, he put an Align 700- 510kv in it, plenty of power for sure and looks and flies very well, I was not an Apache fan, but now that I have it, I really enjoy it and looking at it as well.

Good luck on your build and flights..

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X