X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post

On this Apache the tail rotor rotates in the wrong direction, CCW, the real one rotates CW, up into the main rotor wash.
    Ah okay... I guess everybody that post's their video's must flip the gear already lol... That's why I asked, b/c the handful of video's I seen, the tail is always going the scale direction...

Comment

So is there really no other reason for the tail direction other than looks. I would assume you lose some tail authority not rotating up in to the wash? Kinda disappointed they didn’t have this worked out at the factory for the price of the bird. But if it doesn’t hurt anything…???

Comment

Originally posted by Shark102 View Post
        So is there really no other reason for the tail direction other than looks. I would assume you lose some tail authority not rotating up in to the wash? Kinda disappointed they didn’t have this worked out at the factory for the price of the bird. But if it doesn’t hurt anything…???
        Really, it's not a cheap kit that's for sure, easy fix though if it bothers you, install the tail bevel gear on the bottom of the tail shaft bevel gear instead of on the top and pin the drive shaft ends, that's it I think, my buddy sold me his Apache that he built and he reversed the tail, I really don't care actually which way they turn as long as they hold and have good authority.

Check your messages Shark, I sent you some info.

Comment

Finally about to install the mechanics for the last time "hoping" and going to lube up all the gears, has anyone tried/use dry lube on them? I've had great results with it on my 3d machines, thinking of cleaning off the grease and applying the dry lube instead..

Comment

Also working on some decal sheets, ones that come from roban are minimal, and not really to scale 100%....also found from some that were applied "probably old" as not sticking??? go figure the ones i find a tad too large...stuck.
            If anyone has some particular ones they would like? I'll add to a sheet

Comment

2 sheets done......seeing our goverment won't buy any this will be the first :)
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow... you do the decals too... should come out nice! I have never actually used the Roban decals... not one time...

Comment

Well finally done.......18 month's 15 hours lol

Weight is way over 26.7 lbs but then again bigger batts/motor/sound system/added lighting/plus all the accessories that were added....
                  post a real maiden once the weather warms up a tad.......

​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by thebirdman View Post
                    Well finally done.......18 month's 15 hours lol

Weight is way over 26.7 lbs but then again bigger batts/motor/sound system/added lighting/plus all the accessories that were added....
                    post a real maiden once the weather warms up a tad.......

26 lbs, Wow, you don't want to pull collective to fast on that heavy bird when coming in for a landing......​​​​​​​

Comment

Finally maiden'ed with the body on today, just a couple of 5 minute jonts,,,, came back in 1 piece so HAPPY :)
                      Winds picked up big time on the second, shoved it around a bit but did what I told it so HAPPY :)
                      Great presence in the air, And yes It is a heavy beast @ 26lb's...lol
                      A few things to tweak with the Neo flybarless as time goes on, have to get used to how it handles for now,
                      Overall HAPPY :)

Comment

Finally maiden'ed with the body on today, just a couple of 5 minute jonts,,,, came back in 1 piece so HAPPY :)
                        Winds picked up big time on the second, shoved it around a bit but did what I told it so HAPPY :)
                        Great presence in the air, And yes It is a heavy beast @ 26lb's...lol
                        A few things to tweak with the Neo flybarless as time goes on, have to get used to how it handles for now,
                        Overall HAPPY :)
                        That is awesome, sounds like it went great. I kind of miss mine now, maybe shouldn't have parted with it so fast, but oh well, I can always build another I guess....

Comment

Anyone remember seeing a build where the guy installed an aluminum front landing gear mount ? I thought I had saved it but cannot find yet:(
                          Had to set the fat bird down hard today when I lost most right tail authority, "haven't looked at the cause yet" but it flattened the front landing gear pulling the lower mounts out :( Minimal damage, small gouge where it hit the lower panels, and what really pisses me off...broke my machine gun :)
                          Tkx in advance, back to searching pages of saves
                          Birdman

Comment

Found them if anyone is interested, going to 3dprint test pieces than on to the mill....
                            Attached Files

Comment

Design almost done. Have some contours too figure out once I 3dprint some test runs and Dremel out the obstacles.... Click image for larger version  Name:	front mount start v7.png Views:	0 Size:	169.6 KB ID:	348291 out the current obstacles :)

Comment

That is nice work. A mount like that could really save the day if you wind up with a hard landing (which is pretty much inevitable if you fly often).

Comment

LOL already did that hard landing, now the repair begins )

Comment

Me too. Got lucky with only minor fiberglass damage, but did manage to break the collar where the long and short struts join. So that was fun.

Comment

Well finally got the aluminum landing gear mounts machined, took a break from the cnc build and got some good flying in this summer so the apache was on hold till this winter.
                                      Finished the cnc conversion in december so decided to try it out on the mounts first, they came out better than expected for a amatuer cnc'er :)
                                      Also redid some strut mounts where the 2 struts join each other as bent one on the hard set down. Cad files are available for anyone that wants them?
                                      I did also print them out of PA-12 CF and they would probably hold up ok but hey, dropped a tonne $$$ into the cnc conversion and know the aluminum will be stronger.
                                      Also installed the V2 cascade Tail from micheal, bit of pain getting links setup "ended up machining some pieces" but got it completed.
                                      Also found the Issue with loss of right tail direction... Bad servo..only moves one direction and back to center. This was a brand new tail servo, have contacted them but dont expect any warranty because purchase was when I started the build, but we will see if they do anything.
                                      Now have the mechanics out again to Install the low speed upgrade, might as well seeing I have it :)
                                      Will post some pics if anyone is interested
                                      Birdman

Comment

For some strange reason this already had the low speed gears installed? And I do not recall doing them, nor have the 30/36 gears in the spare parts box only the main gear which I do remember upgrading.
                                        So guess I now have a spare set :)

Comment

For some strange reason this already had the low speed gears installed? And I do not recall doing them, nor have the 30/36 gears in the spare parts box only the main gear which I do remember upgrading.
                                          So guess I now have a spare set :)
                                          I've noticed that as well on two of my roban kits... maybe that just started making it the standard of what they put on.

Comment

Working...
                                          X