X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get started in RC heliopters part II

Question: When do I know how to move to the next phase of flight?

Answer: Unless you like wrenching and buying parts, I suggest you wait until you're proficient in hovering in at LEAST 3 orientations. Hovering Tail towards you, and hovering with the tail pointed left and tail pointed right.

Question: Why can't I just do forward flight now?

Answer: Because at some point, the helicopter WILL be facing you. Starting at you. Hovering with the nose facing you is intimidating and takes some practice. Because an airplane is constantly moving forward, flying towards yourself is far more natural. With a helicopter, in order for it to continue moving forward, you need to continue pushing forward on the cyclic stick.

Question: How do I learn to hover "nose in"?

Answer: After you're comfortable with the first 3 hovering orientations, take the helicopter to a reasonable height (about 15 to 20 feet in the air) and hover in one of your comfortable orientations. With the left stick, yaw the helicopter around so the nose is facing you. Only hold it there for a few seconds, and continue the yaw until the tail is pointing at you again. Continue practicing this, and you can increase the amount of time you hold the model "nose in" Practice, practice, practice. Simulator practice is invaluable, and the more time you put into practicing, the better pilot you will eventually become.

Question: Now I'm pretty comfortable with "nose in", what next?

Answer: I suggest flying "lazy 8's" Fly the model at a height of 15 to 20 feet high (too low and you won't have time to react if you become disoriented, too high, and you will have difficulty seeing the orientation of the model) in a figure of 8 shape (imagine looking down from above the model). Take a look at the image of the lazy 8. Practice flying the lazy 8 in both directions. As you become more and more confident, you can stand up the "8" (see the picture labeled "stand up 8") You'll notice that in the "stood up 8" the helicopter will be spending a lot more time flying back towards yourself.

Remember, before you start to practice forward flight and lazy 8's, have a plan for what you're going to do if you get confused. My recommendation is to yaw around to "tail towards you" and back up the helicopter into a nice comfortable "tail in" hover. Regain your composure, and try again!

Stay tuned for part III

Thanks for posting this Brian! This will be a big help to those just getting into helis. Have you considered doing something similar on setting up CP helis? I know that is one of the major hurdles for pilots transitioning from a fixed pitched or preprogrammed heli, to a do-it-yourself machine like a goblin or Trex. On another note, I would love to see you guys do a lineup of scale helis similar to what you have done with warbirds. Currently, Roban is just about the only company doing scale machines and fuselages, and their prices are high, and parts difficult to come by..

Comment

I have flown rc helicopters. I started flying the 3 channel ones for a start. Now I started flying the 6 channel helicopters and I'm finding it more interesting and the thrill and satisfaction is much greater. Any advice please. Thank you and happy flying.

Comment

Welcome to HobbySquawk Arnold. We got a great group of heli guys in here that can hopefully help you out like F106DeltaDart , TiredIronGRB and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Arnold View Post
          I have flown rc helicopters. I started flying the 3 channel ones for a start. Now I started flying the 6 channel helicopters and I'm finding it more interesting and the thrill and satisfaction is much greater. Any advice please. Thank you and happy flying.
          Glad to hear that you are enjoying flying helicopters. What are you looking for advice on next? Are you looking to start moving into different maneuvers? Try scale helicopters? Or looking for a new sport style heli?

Comment

Hi Delta Dart, I'm finding it very difficult to order lipo batteries online. Can you please tell me who will ship them, if I order them on line. Tank you.

Comment

Hi Delta Dart, I'm finding it very difficult to order lipo batteries online. Can you please tell me who will ship them, if I order them on line. Tank you.
              Motion RC has batteries in their European warehouse. I’d imagine they’d be able to ship to you without any issues: https://www.motionrc.eu/collections/batteries

Comment

Comment

Hi delta dart the problem is that all rc dealers sell lipo batteries but the airlines aren't accepting to carry them. This is my problem.

Comment

Hi delta dart thank you for your reply and information. For now I won't go into scale models but I'm into sport models. I dont fly 3d though. I like to enjoy free flights for the time being. Thanks.

Comment

Hi delta dart the problem is that all rc dealers sell lipo batteries but the airlines aren't accepting to carry them. This is my problem.
                      For bringing a LiPo on the airlines, the battery needs to be smaller than a 6 cell 4500 and in your carry-on. That is the largest battery below the 100 W-Hr limit of most airlines.

Comment

I was about to make a post asking for tips moving from the XK123 to the next step but this thread is great! Does anyone have any more tips for a beginner wanting to fly scale helis?

Comment

Originally posted by Spinny Testaverde View Post
                          I was about to make a post asking for tips moving from the XK123 to the next step but this thread is great! Does anyone have any more tips for a beginner wanting to fly scale helis?
                          look at a trex 500 or 550 properly set up are probably the best training and all round helicopter you can by belt driven tails are more forgiving. but the best piece of advice is dont try and learn on your own join a club where there will be guys very happy to help with set up and learning to fly on a buddy box system will help keep the costs down.

As a scale pilot I would myself you need will need to be able fly competently with pod and boom first. minimum hover all the 4 compass points. take off and land smoothly. fly a lazy 8 both directions. Scale flying is all about smoothness and trying fly the model in a simular manner to the full size.

Always practice new manoeuvres with a pod and boom until your happy your with it. its defiantly cheaper to repair a pod and boom than a beloved scale model.

Sea Harrier Man

Comment

Working...
                          X