You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turbine Engines and Turbine Jets offered by Motion RC?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post
    I'm very impressed with the size and weight (and of course, the power) of this Xicoy X45 Turbine. For weight reference, the Wemotec Midifan Evo 90mm EDF power system is considered to be relatively light, yet the X45 turbine still weighs less. If using a heavier metal EDF shroud, larger motor, etc, a 90mm EDF could easily surpass 460+g. The X45 is an amazing piece of engineering by Gaspar at Xicoy. Very well done.
    ]
    I put my project on hold for now but this is a awesome turbine. Sebart BAE Hawk. this was my trail fitting and you can see how small the turbine is as compared to the 90mm EDF fan mounting. turbine pipes is another area that will need to be provided in any turbine version upgrade. The key will be dual walled and super light.

Rich

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	246306Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	246307

Comment

Originally posted by RichJ53 View Post

I put my project on hold for now but this is a awesome turbine. Sebart BAE Hawk. this was my trail fitting and you can see how small the turbine is as compared to the 90mm EDF fan mounting. turbine pipes is another area that will need to be provided in any turbine version upgrade. The key will be dual walled and super light.

Rich

Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	246306Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.jpeg
Views:	255
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	246307

Looks great, Rich. These really are tiny and great motors.
      Instagram: @tcat.rc.creations

Comment

Love it, man this turbine stuff is getting smaller and smaller, I have never tried a turbine jet, this will have to be my next adventure one day.

Comment

DCORSAIR I’m seeing turbine driven helicopters in near future.

gravy

Comment

Originally posted by DCORSAIR View Post
            Love it, man this turbine stuff is getting smaller and smaller, I have never tried a turbine jet, this will have to be my next adventure one day.
            The power to weight (and size for that matter) is mind boggling good.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravythe clown View Post
              DCORSAIR I’m seeing turbine driven helicopters in near future.

gravy

Oh boy, I don't know if I will ever go that route with helis, way to much.........$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by T-CAT View Post

Looks great, Rich. These really are tiny and great motors.
                Thanks TCat
                I started on a larger jet project and have not been able to get back to my mini Hawk. I will eventually get back into it. I ended up getting the Grumania pipe from Germany….. awesome made to order, custom sizes. $$ but worth it.
                http://www.grumania.com/xtcommerce/J...:5_44_261.html

Rich

Comment

Agreed, Grumania makes some nice pipes. Sometimes it seems like the bell mouth in certain applications are too large though, but that's fixable.

Comment

I highly recommend Grumania pipes. They use the right materials, the right construction techniques, well made welds and correct intervals. They're pricey, but worth it. They tend to standardize around their own aircraft or regionally popular aircraft, so it's always worth the effort to provide them specific instructions to consider if/when your model deviates from their patterns.
                    Camp My Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                      I highly recommend Grumania pipes. They use the right materials, the right construction techniques, well made welds and correct intervals. They're pricey, but worth it. They tend to standardize around their own aircraft or regionally popular aircraft, so it's always worth the effort to provide them specific instructions to consider if/when your model deviates from their patterns.
                      I have three Grummania pipes and totally agree with you on your comment! I also make my own pipes using thin SS sheet and a McDonalds Coke cup cut down to a appropriate size. 50mm is the ideal size for a 30-50 Newton size engine and the X45 is now the X48, so now almost 11lbs from this amazing engine!! Some comparison pictures with a K30 and a P20. The X45 is the smallest in the group.
                      Attached Files

Comment

X48 since when?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Belluomini View Post
                          X48 since when?
                          Gaspar is working larger turbines 85N - 120N sizes next ...

Comment

I'd be curious to see what Gaspar could do with a little X25 (for 2.5kg of thrust) simply because the X45 is so small that I can't help but wonder if the technology is available to make an incredibly small and light 2.5kg thrust turbine.

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                              Absolutely agree. The X45 uses their new mid turbine size pipes and is just perfect. ""This all new INTERMEDIATE jet pipe has been developed to take the new, more powerful micro turbines into account. It fills the intermediate zone between our 15-30N and 40-80N jet pipes.""

"You measure the distance from the tail to the end of the turbine nozzle and 40mm and submit your size to Grumania to build. They have great customer service and products. Once I get back on building my BAE mini Hawk I will post some photos of the pipe setup.

Now we just need MRC to get some more turbine ready jets on the way to us :)
                              Rich
                              Click image for larger version  Name:	939_0.jpg Views:	0 Size:	116.9 KB ID:	260048

Comment

Hi everyone,
                                Looking to buy a Jetcat turbine for my research! will be happy if someone can help!
                                Thanks

Comment

Well T-cat referred me to this thread so thank you T-Cat!

Recently got my turbine waiver on a TBM DV8R and while it's fun to go to the proper airfield an hour away to fly with the other big jets, my local field is turbine friendly but only good for 80mm/90mm sized EDF jets, so it'd be awesome to have a PNP Freewing Avanti from MRC that'd be ready to bolt a turbine in and fly.

Comment

You're welcome, and congratulations on your waiver!

Comment

Thanks T-Cat!

I do have a question for the group, what do you all do for fuel tanks for say the 80mm Avanti and L-39? Do you custom-make them out of fiberglass, and if so, do you do 3D printed molds/plugs, or use something else like foam? Or would something like a 30-40 ounce dubro work and just carve some foam?

Comment

I have a 800 cc tank ( Dubro like ) in my Avanti which took just a little foam being removed.
                                        The L39 is a little trickier - it has a molded 24 oz tank.
                                        Both fly awesome powered by the X45 turbine.

Dw

Comment

Working...
                                        X