First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aros
    started a topic Official 3DP Thread

Official 3DP Thread

3DP is definitely taking the hobby by storm. There are plenty of questions out there surrounding the process, quality printers, and so forth. Please feel free to ask your questions or offer your experience and any information regarding 3DP here!

• Elbee
    replied
    Originally posted by slamdance64 View Post
    thank you so very much Elbee. I was going to ask you if you had posted your stl files somewhere. I am still putting mine together, as I got really hooked on the drogue chute that RCJetdude put in, otherwise I would have about 20 flights on it now :-)
    I think that I spent more than a week printing weapons for it before it even showed up :-) Now trying to get 'er done before our Jet rally here next weekend.
    SD64, Well, with all the VIR Mods and Fuse Mods, you're going to be very busy this weekend. I hope your Jet Rally is a big hit. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• slamdance64
    replied
    thank you so very much Elbee. I was going to ask you if you had posted your stl files somewhere. I am still putting mine together, as I got really hooked on the drogue chute that RCJetdude put in, otherwise I would have about 20 flights on it now :-)
    I think that I spent more than a week printing weapons for it before it even showed up :-) Now trying to get 'er done before our Jet rally here next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Freewing_F-4_Fuselage_Parts_STL_Files.zip

Yeepers, more Phreewing Phantom parts. These are for the fuselage. I've posted these everywhere I can think, so build, install and enjoy. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Freewing_F-4_VIR_Mods_STL_Files.zip

Hey Y'all, There is the most interest in these items I modded for the Freewing F-4. Included are the VIR Fixed Plates L&R, Upper and Lower Vents, and a mesh-like simulation of the perforations in the VIR. Pictures are included and a capture of the Slic3r view. I posted to the F-4 3DP forum as well. Any questions PM me and I will post some other parts soon. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• Elbee
    replied
    Does anyone know of any 3DP ejection seat files for the Martin-Baker 10 or the SJU-5 version? I have found several object files at a cost, but really don't want to convert those larger files if I don't have to do that. Best, LB

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Im waiting on Callie to get the decals done, looking forward to getting her beautified

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Thanks brother, shes a blast to fly, my next trick with it is to somehow make the drop tanks dropable, but im gonna enjoy it as is for a while, btw if all goes well the PBY should fly this weekend as well!

Leave a comment:

• Woodcock
    replied
    Hey Rifle, I watch the maiden of the F-86 mate. I'm totally impressed at how smooth and stable that thing flew. Pretty nice job mate.

Woody

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Yeah i hear ya there, im really gonna take this one slow as you did with the 330, I'm just thinking more along the lines of just getting the raw design done then work on the important details once i have the initial works in play. Just small bits at a time.

Leave a comment:

• Dirty Dee
    replied
    Having designed my A330, I somewhat wished that I started with a smaller design for my first 3d printed plane. I've easily burned close to $300 worth of filament for just test prints. Not sure how the aardvark or bone would scale up with those engine sizes, but my airframe having a 2006mm wingspan takes close to 450hrs to print.

Having 2 other scratchbuilds under my belt, the scariest part is the maiden flight, and that is when you are testing an unknown CG and throws, and hoping that you have done your math right. I have a second airframe already being printed as a spare because it takes such a long time to print.

My next plane (and maybe it should have been the first) will be a YAK-17 for a 70mm fan.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    I think i may try my hand at designing one of these 3d printed planes now that i have a good idea on how its done. Im wanting to do a swing wing though, ive narrowed it down to the F111 and the B1B. If i do the F111 im thinking make it an 70mm twin or a single 90mm. The way this F86 sounds im really tempted to just go with a single fan design. The B1B would be twin 80mm. Time to get on fusion

Leave a comment:

• fhhuber
    replied
    Originally posted by bradl4648 View Post
    HI guys

Does anyone have some files for cura 4.0 or simplified3d for an ender3 printer? My settings got erased somehow if anyone can help that would be great this would be for the 3d lab's files like the pt-17 or 1600 Corsair. Thanks
    Uninstall Cura, reinstall, the default Ender 3 profiles will be restored.

#1 change from default, do not use 0.10 layer height or other default layer heights. Use 0.8, 0.12, 0.16 or 0.20. Assuming using the normal 0.4 mm nozzle. 0.12 prints faster than 0.10 and looks better.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    If you print them out i use the settings in S3D just increase the flow multiplier, and drop the speed down to around 50% most of their settings they have are pretty spot on. Only other important thing is just have your build area set correctly. Just keep in mind you really need to make sure the corsair is perfect with the folding wing joints. You dont want any weak spots on that one.

Leave a comment:

• bradl4648
    replied
    HI guys

Does anyone have some files for cura 4.0 or simplified3d for an ender3 printer? My settings got erased somehow if anyone can help that would be great this would be for the 3d lab's files like the pt-17 or 1600 Corsair. Thanks

Leave a comment:

• fhhuber
    replied
    I suspect the recommended motor is marginal for the hand launch. Its a little heavier than the average balsa or foam model the same size.

I found that colored electric tape applying thin CA around the edges makes good hinges. I hung the plane by the control horns for a day (with the battery in the plane) to test how they are holding.

Leave a comment:

• rifleman_btx
    replied
    Video that when you fly that one! I bet she will scoot along pretty quickly!

Leave a comment:

• fhhuber
    replied
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20190507_202052.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.0 KB ID:	193451

Using Ender 3, not the Pro, with a glass bed and some of the recommended 3D printed bits for filament guide, cable chains, fan cover and knobs n the Z axis and extruder.
    (the only really important change from stock out of box is the glass bed)

Well, its not the Mig, but I printed a flying wing from thingiverse using Inland PLA (which I find works well but others say is useless)

All settings in Cura:
    I pushed temp up to 215C, 60C first layer for print bed, then 50C. 0.8 layer height, slowed it down to 30 printing speed, told it the line width is .5 with a .4 nozzle, to push more PLA out and get really good layer adhesion with the thin layers printed hot. Fan speed recommended in the Thingiverse instructions is ZERO I had issues with that and went to 30.

Some parts wanted 1 top/bottom layer at 0.12mm layer height and I used 2 at .08mm

Ailerons for the model failed and needed 3 top/bottom layers to make them work. Pretty stiff ailerons at 3 layers + 20% Tri-hex (triangles and hexagons) infill.

Canopy failed due to an issue with feeding filament. Got some dirt in the nozzle. And hasn't been retried yet. I have the printer doing a 36 hr print of a dice tower for tabletop RPG at the moment.

You can see some blue n wing to fuselage joints. That's tape that got stuck with the CA. It will buff ff with a rag dampened with acetone.

Experiment printing a couple of the catapult gliders and other small aircraft off of Thingiverse. When you can get the eagle to fly well while looking like its wings flap you have the printer set up right.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1858299

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Dirty Dee
    replied
    Looking forward to the maiden report Rifleman!

Leave a comment:

• TiredIronGRB
    replied
    I’ve been trying to print the MiG 15 on my Ender 3 Pro with A Cura and Hatchbox PLA but can’t find any settings profiles that will work good

Leave a comment:

Working...
X