You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valley Flyers Pizza Fun Fly, April 9 2016 at Apollo XI Field (Van Nuys, CA)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valley Flyers Pizza Fun Fly, April 9 2016 at Apollo XI Field (Van Nuys, CA)

The San Fernando Valley Flyers are holding their Pizza Fun Fly this year on Saturday, April 9th at their field in Van Nuys. Here's their website:

Click on Upcoming Events for the flyer. Many of us Hobby Squawkers will be there flying our FMS, FlightLine RC and HK B-17s, along with lots of other goodness (I will also have several Freewing EDFs with me). Entry Fee is only $10 for non-club members, but some of us have agreed to pay the entry fee for anyone who wants to come out for the day that does not belong to the club.

Hope to see you there!
    Pat

I invite anyone nearby to come fly our latest toys...
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

With the P-38s being delivered throughout this week, we all have plenty of time to get them together in time for the April 9 event at Apollo. Due to increased interest we'll be expanding the unofficial fly-in dates from sunrise on Friday, April 8, to sunset on Sunday, April 10. Keep in mind, the "official" event is Saturday the 9th, that's $10 to the club. But Friday and Sunday are free. I'll be camping out nearby on both nights. Anyone wanting to do dinner on Friday or Saturday night is welcome to dine with me and my local crew of hooligans. Make some space in your schedules, load those vehicles, and come enjoy crashing with the wackiest pilots in the area. Plenty of charging stations and brick bathrooms with running water.

Throughout the entire weekend I plan to have the following aircraft configured on a separate radio for people to test fly. If you're nervous, you'll also have the option of buddy boxing with me and my radio. Otherwise, anyone is welcome to solo any of the aircraft below provided I see you fly and safely land something of your own, first. Five piece landings don't count.

1. FlightLine 1600mm P-38 "Allied Green" --Stock version
      2. FlightLine 1600mm P-38 "Pacific Silver" --High Power version
      3. FlightLine 1100mm La-7 --Stock version
      4. FlightLine 1200mm Sea Fury --Stock version
      5. FlightLine 1200mm Sea Fury --High Power version
      6. RocHobby 1100mm Nemesis NXT --Stock setup and 11x12 blade upgrade
      7. RocHobby 1100mm Strega --Stock
      8. RocHobby 980mm P-39 --Stock
      9. FMS 1400mm Zero
      10. FMS 1400mm P-51B
      11. Techone 1400mm Mercury
      12. Techone Neptune
      13. Techone Popwing
      14. Dynam 1200mm J3 Piper Cub
      15. Dynam 908mm Scout
      16. Dynam 1220mm P-47D Thunderbolt
      17. Freewing 64mm A-10
      18. Freewing 80mm F-86 Sabre
      19. Freewing 80mm F-14D Tomcat
      20. HSD 105mm Super Viper
      21. Project Iron Petticoat

Comment

That Allied Green P38 is calling my name, LOL. Can't wait for this event. Great friends, great flying and aircraft, and tons of fun....not much is better than that.

Comment

What are you bringing, T-Cat? Your HK Fun Racer (red and white) and F-15?

Comment

I'm thinking either the F15 with its new paint job or the F86. I just love those jets and can't get enough of flying them. :D

You have a heck of a line-up, man. Hahaha. That's a miracle hanger of planes you'll have out there. That'll make for a great pic of them all lined up!

Comment

Here's what I'm bringing:

Freewing F-104G Starfighter
              Freewing A-6E Intruder (if I can get a new main LG in time)
              Sonic Modells B-17G "Sentimental Journey"
              FlightLineRC P-38L "Putt Putt Maru"
              FMS 1400mm P-40B Warhawk
              Starmax 1600mm P-47 Thunderbolt
              FMS B-25 "Maid in the Shade"
              NiceSky XB-70 Valkyrie (if I can get it finished in time)

Unfortunately, my Freewing F-5 and Me-262 are both down for repairs. I may be able to get parts ordered on the 31st and in hand in time to get them repaired before leaving for the event.

Also, looking forward to finding out what Project Iron Petticoat is. ;)
              Pat

Comment

Bringing lots of foam, batteries and cash. ;)

Sign me up for the HSD Super Viper and The Iron Petticoat....good movie! :)

Comment

"Foam, batteries, and cash" <-- I hope everyone's bringing all three ;)

Comment

Committed to being there now!

Comment

Wow, what an event you guys are putting on out there! Wish the timing was right for me to head that direction😔.

Comment

Due to a scheduling change I'll have Project Excalibur, instead of Project Iron Petticoat. Equal amounts of fun. :)

Comment

What!!!! No Iron Petticoat??? That's it, I'm staying home to build a vintage balsa kit! :p

Comment

I love code-names/call-signs :D. I hope miraculously a bad to the bone new A-10 and F22 show up. LOL

Comment

Here is a fun update for those planning on attending the event next weekend, April 9-10.

1. Given the number of people driving in from other states to meet us, in order to sweeten the pot we've decided to preview both Excalibur AND Iron Petticoat on the 9th. Anyone is invited to fly my newest babies.

2. We'll have buddy box setups for Spektrum, Futaba, and Hitec radios across 20 planes for you to Fly And Try.

3. At least three if not four Motion RC pilots will be attending. Come meet us face to face!

4. The official Club event is Saturday the 9th. Sunday the 10th is an open fly day. It sounds like most people are planning to arrive early Saturday and fly throughout the 9th. The $10 Event fee covers a pizza lunch as well. We'll caravan nearby for dinner Saturday night. Keep in mind it's an open field so both afternoons, especially Sunday afternoon, we'll see the usual turbine show. Yesterday alone there were three big turbine maidens. 1:6 F-16, 1:7 MiG-29, 1:8 F-4.

5. For those making an earlier drive on Friday, about five of us will be flying from 3pm to sundown around 7pm Friday evening. There is free overnight street parking on Woodley for a limited number of vehicles across the street from the field. It's literally 200 yards from the gate. RVs park there; the street parking is alongside a large park and makes a nice crash pad near the field in a pinch. Most people are getting a motel on nearby Sepulveda Blvd for Saturday night.

6. RESTROOMS: Apollo Field has a full bathroom/sink facilities, with real cinder walls. No porta-potties!

7. RECHARGING: Apollo Field has two charge stations with about 30-40 12V ports. 4mm bullets or alligator clips are required for your chargers. There aren't any 110V wall sockets.

8. COVER: The work tables are shaded by trees. You don't need to bring an EZ-Up. Chairs might be nice, though, since we only have about 20 plus three picnic tables.
                              9. PARKING: There's 90 marked paved parking spots and space for another 50 cars on the Parkflyer side of the field.

10. SWAP MEET: Saturday the 9th is a Swap Meet as well. Another incentive to arrive early in the morning. The best deals are usually gone by 9am. This is the first swap meet in about six months, since the one earlier this year was rained out, so I would imagine there will be many goodies for sale as the Club shifts into Summer Mode. I'm selling 10 planes myself to make space for more! Bring something to sell and you might catch me at a weak moment.

11. AMA. Have your AMA cards for Saturday's event. Sunday it isn't required.

Comment

Thanks for all the info Alpha. Looking forward to seeing the 2 new projects. I'll see if my guesses are correct. ;)

Staying in Long Beach area (we have family there), but will be at the field bright and early Saturday morning. (gotta beat that Saturday parking lot on the 405 ;))
                                Pat

Comment

Both are sweet flyers and well worth the drive guys. Looking forward to seeing the transmitters passed around. :)

Comment

Just purchased tickets for my boy, Joshua and I to fly down to California for this event. We are very excited to come play in the sun since we still have a little snow and cold temps up here in Montana. I'm envious of all you local guys who don't have to travel 1300 miles....LOL. Can't wait to fly some of Motion RC's newest birds. Look forward to meeting and hanging out with all you fellas... Alpha, I promise I will do my best to not make any 5 point landings! ;)

Comment

One pertinent point I can add to Alphas comprehensive post is to make sure you have registered with the FAA and have your registration number on your models. As I understand it, reps HAVE been making visits to the field checking. Looking forward to meeting up with some old friends and new faces!

Comment

Excellent to see so many people going. I'm really looking forward to seeing the great people I've met, and meeting new folks to put faces to the names.

I have a bunch of stuff to sell too, so I should probably list some things in this thread that I plan to bring (instead of starting a for sale thread on this forum as I don't plan to ship any of it, so people know it's for pick-up only).

Also, great point Bajora. Apollo field has been around many years, and it's an incredible field to fly it. It's in a relatively busy part of town with one of the busiest general aviation airports in the world nearby. So, it's of the utmost importance for all flying to do so responsibly and within the standards of the FAA/AMA. Airport police do come around quite often to check on things. We want that field to be around for years to come, so people can enjoy the hobby, and it will have a much better chance with the mutual respect.

Comment

Working...
                                        X