X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• National Model Aviation Day

August 13,2016 is National Model Aviation Day. The Sky Squires club of Marion Illinois is going to participate with all proceeds from the fly-in going to the Wounded Warriors. More details will filter in as they are finalized.
    Thanks
    Ben

Edit previous post. The Charity is going to be the Disabled American Veterans and not the Wounded Warriors. Thank you

Comment

Glad to see your club not wasting their money by sending it to Wounded Warriors project. Don't know how widely disseminated the bad info about WWP in other parts of the country, but here in Florida they have been exposed as spending more on staff and parties for staff than in directly helping vets. I looked into their finances over three years ago, because they have the most convincing and heart tugging commercials on tv. I decided then that they would not get any of my money. There are several other vet help groups with better rating.

Comment

I still believe that the AMA needs to let the Local Clubs pick a local charity to support. Lets support those who support us.

Mike
        \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

Originally posted by MikeT View Post
          I still believe that the AMA needs to let the Local Clubs pick a local charity to support. Lets support those who support us.

Mike
          That is 100% the club's choice...

There are clubs that have specific charities they support. Our club had an annual "fly-in" which supports the Toys For Tots program.
          We will hold events for other charities if they ask or one of our club members initiates it.

AMA doesn't tell the individual clubs what charities to support or not to support.
          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Originally posted by fhhuber View Post

That is 100% the club's choice...

There are clubs that have specific charities they support. Our club had an annual "fly-in" which supports the Toys For Tots program.
            We will hold events for other charities if they ask or one of our club members initiates it.

AMA doesn't tell the individual clubs what charities to support or not to support.
            From the April 2016 EC minutes

"MOTION II: Moved by L. Tougas (X), and seconded by L. Harville (VIII), if AMA can’t coordinate with the Disabled American Veteran’s (DAV) charity by April 21, the decision for the National Model Aviation Day (NMAD) charity should be selected and administered locally by the clubs.
            MOTION passed unanimously. "

They do and have for "National Aviation Day" since day one. If you club signs up for national Aviation Day the AMA sends a "friendly" reminder about sending in the proceeds to them.

Mike

Comment

"AMA’s Executive Council has voted to select a different charity to support as part of this year’s National Model Aviation Day celebration. The 2016 charity will be the Disabled American Veterans (DAV). We will be working with the national organization, although there are several branches throughout the country. The money raised will benefit the national group’s Charitable Service Trust. The national organization will share event information with its local branches, but each of these branches operates separately from the national organization.
              If you plan to support DAV, a donation form and an address for donations will be provided on the club resources page on the National Model Aviation Day website. We ask that you submit donations to this address with the provided form to assist us with recording our grand total.
              It is important for clubs to note that choosing to support DAV is not required for participation in National Model Aviation Day. The main goal of the event is to celebrate the hobby and to promote model flying in your communities. Clubs can selected a different charity, or choose to celebrate without including fundraising activities. A number of resources are available for you on the National Model Aviation Day website, including fundraising and event ideas, press release templates, flyer templates, and soon we will be providing packages that clubs can purchase to further promote their events.
              Registration is now open. Please visitnationalmodelaviationday.org/register/ to sign up. Each club that signs up will be listed in the back pages of Model Aviation and in an event ad, will be promoted on the National Model Aviation Day website, and more. This is a pivotal time for aeromodelers to stand united and to show communities throughout the country the many positive aspects of the hobby.
              More information will be shared soon.
              Thank you!
              Mandee Mikulski
              Director of Development, AMA Foundation
              nmad@modelaircraft.org"

"Ben,

I totally understand your confusion. We had originally chosen WWP, and then decided to stay with them this year even when they had so much negative publicity. But, once they fired the CEO and CFO the Executive Council received a lot of complaints from members. So, we decided to quickly change the charity. It takes some time to get agreements set and everything to make the transition. I’m actually still waiting to receive the official okay to use the logo and the branding from DAV. But, we do have a contract and I except it soon. So, the resources available will be changing as soon as possible.

So yes, DAV is our charity now. They would like for money to be sent to them, and we will provide directions and a form to do this. Just give me the official yes and I will change your charity selection in our records. An email is going out today or Monday with this information as well.

I think you are correct on the sponsorships. Most of the time you would ask for either sponsorships that come with some type of recognition at the event (maybe hang up a banner on the fence with their logo) or you can ask just for raffle prizes and then use the money earned from ticket sales as a donation. I attached our sponsorship form for our event at headquarters. We are going with the first option and not doing raffle prizes because our event is focused more on kids. We use the money first to pay for advertising, anything extra would go to DAV. We won’t have much extra-because our event is free to the public and we will spend most of it. But, again, the fundraiser is not the goal-the goal is celebrating the hobby and sharing it with the public.

I am working on some other fundraising ideas and putting them in a document on the resources page. I hope to have it up next week.

You can read the stories section for some other ideas from other clubs: http://nationalmodelaviationday.org/category/stories/

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help you make your event as successful as possible.

Thanks!

Mandee Mikulski
              Director of Development
              AMA Foundation
              1-800-435-9262 X 277
              Save the Date: 8.13.16
              National Model Aviation Day"

Comment

Thanks.
                Mike

Comment

In the mail this morning was a Proclamation from the Governor of Illinois proclaiming August 13,2016 National Model Aviation Day in the name of the Marion Sky Squires.

Comment

Originally posted by benjack71 View Post
                    In the mail this morning was a Proclamation from the Governor of Illinois proclaiming August 13,2016 National Model Aviation Day in the name of the Marion Sky Squires.
                    Very nice.........you represented for the Squires @ NEFI very nicely too!!
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Very nice.........you represented for the Squires @ NEFI very nicely too!!
                      Thank you. Here is the proclamation.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	National Model Aviation Day-page-001.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	757.0 KB
ID:	42846

Comment

Cool Ben, just printed it out and hung it on the wall!!

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Yeah some of the guys are out to day getting some sponsors rounded up. I hope we can have a great time and a good turn out. We are handing out awards. Everything is pilots choice. I will post up a flyer

Comment

Sky Squires National Model Aviation Day Flyer.pdf

Comment

Update on our fly-in. The donations we have received for the raffle is better than I had hoped. It includes a couple round trip air tickets, 50 dollar gift certificate to a sporting good store, a 100 dollar gift tag for a car wash and a bunch of 25 dollar or so gift cards from a bunch of restaurants and just a bunch of really nice items. Yes, there is also some RC stuff for the pilots raffle (:. Seems like were getting some good support for the charity. I hope we get a good crowd and the weather cooperates and we can have a very successful charity drive for the DAV and have some good flying. Rain all weekend in August, no way.. I hope

Comment

New update. We are rescheduling for August 20-21 due to weather.

Comment

Oh yeah, we changed it to August 27th - 28th.

Comment

Funny thing, I ordered a couple of t shirts from the AMA for Model Aviation Day and never go them, go in touch with them and they said they never received the order, then they told me they had only sold about 50 shirts this year. They're wondering if there was something wrong with the system.If anyone else had this problem, please contact
                                    mandeem@modelaircraft.org
                                    I'm sure they'd like to know.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                      Funny thing, I ordered a couple of t shirts from the AMA for Model Aviation Day and never go them, go in touch with them and they said they never received the order, then they told me they had only sold about 50 shirts this year. They're wondering if there was something wrong with the system.If anyone else had this problem, please contact
                                      mandeem@modelaircraft.org
                                      I'm sure they'd like to know.

Grossman56
                                      That is interesting. Sounds like maybe they had a glitch, but you would think there would have been several calls if several people ordered shirts and never got them.

Comment

You would think. On the other hand, they only sold 50 shirts? That should have triggered something somewhere as well.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                        X