X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Warbirds over Rend Lake

Great fly-in. Its got a big event feel but everyone feels comfortable flying anything from a park flyer to a giant scale.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	0750ad5095dce9b2ab0d4bb74a9c7786.png
Views:	112
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	79048

Its almost here. Forecast is for sunny, mid 80's and gusty winds up to 7 mph lol

Comment

Comment

I was at the event as well.

Still dealing w staff about the glitch in the raffle tickets. Some bogus stuff happened right when giving away the prizes and now nobody knows anything. I got to wait for the monthly committee to see if they take some action about it and respond to me like they should.

Besides that was an ok event. The field is way too short and narrow for giant warbirds. The picnic watch area is way too close to the field. They should have held the event in the first air field right at the entrance. Too many posers with their airplanes, and holding back on flying it.

The videos may give the illusion of a big air field, but its not.

Have seen better

Comment

What did you fly? I flew the Tiger cat and the red tail mustang with a sound system on Sunday. The Runway is 900 feet if I remember correctly and not sure about the width, but probably somewhere close to 80-120 feet width. I have video of jets landing and taking off. Not sure what a giant RC warbird is in your mind. Sounds like to me if your flying something you cant land on that runway either you do not need to be flying it or its just to big and you need to have enough sense to find out where you going before you show up with it. I am not sure which field I like better. I have been going to the event for six years now. The new field is larger. It has a nice shelter area. All of this is justified being on the college campus because the College is starting up a UAV program. I heard that it might be getting paved in the future. But, if there is only a few things I dont like its how close it is to the interstate and the big muddy prison beyond that. I am almost surprised they are allowing it. My guess is its because the College and the UAV program. But, if you ended up over the interstate or the prison you had some serious malfunction or you had no business flying at the event. Failure to charge receiver pack, radio, etc. The old field was a bit farther back, but if you was flying right hand pattern your base took you down toward the college building. I have seen a couple planes end up on the roof of the college. I think on my youtube channel I actually have a video of flying my P-47 between two trees approaching on the base! What the hell, neither field is perfect but they are pretty damn good.

I guess if you have seen better and you were upset about raffle then dont go back. I was there for the final raffling and one of my fellow club members actually won the P-40 35cc arf. Awesome! I have no idea about any glitches with raffling. The kill boxes on the runway was somewhat confusing to some people, mainly due to the wind switch out of the north when the cold front passed through.

Comment

This is the video of me flying between the trees at Rend lake RC a couple of years ago. You cant really see me actually do it but I talk about it around the 5.18 mark. Actually if you look at the middle of the screen, about the 5.10 mark you can see my plane come between the trees lol.

Comment

During the raffle they did not place the tumbler on the reel, and your friend who won was the last one putting tickets on the tumbler. They did not even closed the cage to give it a shake, she looked down the basket and grabbed from the top row of tickets him been the last person to throw them in.
              A real raffle, the lid is closed, placed on the reel and give it a few spins. You pretend to talk the truth, say it as it is, you and your friend were there. I was going to say it to give it a shake and waited for someone to say it, but none did. My thoughts was to say something afterwards, the ceremony continued so I reach out through the site via Contact Us. I really dont know what they need to talk about besides it was not fair and square, obvious to say the least. Looked way too staged, I sat nearby and watched how things progressed up to when they pick up one of the top tickets without shaking and having your buddy the last who threw them in win...

I went as a spectator, I did not fly anything, dont get defensive ans if you do so then you got a chip on your shoulder.

Yes, its a short runway, saw two or three turbines reach the end to the point of banking right and almost hit one of the divider nets for the pilot stations.

You forgot the guy who brushed the corn field on a giant warbird and hit nose first to the ground. The space is tight, and anyway I care less, its my opinion, and I will never fly there as its too far.

** Yes, I like the field where you fly between the trees, so much cleaner and open view, way more airstrip, not like the other one.... then again its MHO.

Comment

Originally posted by crankestein View Post
                During the raffle they did not place the tumbler on the reel, and your friend who won was the last one putting tickets on the tumbler. They did not even closed the cage to give it a shake, she looked down the basket and grabbed from the top row of tickets him been the last person to throw them in.
                A real raffle, the lid is closed, placed on the reel and give it a few spins. You pretend to talk the truth, say it as it is, you and your friend were there. I was going to say it to give it a shake and waited for someone to say it, but none did. My thoughts was to say something afterwards, the ceremony continued so I reach out through the site via Contact Us. I really dont know what they need to talk about besides it was not fair and square, obvious to say the least. Looked way too staged, I sat nearby and watched how things progressed up to when they pick up one of the top tickets without shaking and having your buddy the last who threw them in win...

I went as a spectator, I did not fly anything, dont get defensive ans if you do so then you got a chip on your shoulder.

Yes, its a short runway, saw two or three turbines reach the end to the point of banking right and almost hit one of the divider nets for the pilot stations.

You forgot the guy who brushed the corn field on a giant warbird and hit nose first to the ground. The space is tight, and anyway I care less, its my opinion, and I will never fly there as its too far.

** Yes, I like the field where you fly between the trees, so much cleaner and open view, way more airstrip, not like the other one.... then again its MHO.

I agree, its definitely your opinion

Comment

Wow, This event is less than a hundred miles from me and I have never attended. I will go this year for sure !

Comment

Working...
                  X