X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many flights ?

This is just a fun question really. When you go flying how many flights do you generally have in any one flying session. Me personally I generally have 5 or 6. I will take charged batteries. I don't generally charge at the field although I have done many times. I don't take more than 2 models as a rule. However in the past I have taken 4 or 5 models. They can be a pain to put in the car and put together and take apart at the end of the day. I've wised up to all that over the years.

I love flying aerobatics, but I can have a lot of fun with a HobbyZone Champ S, and I often do.

Martin

I fly at home through the week and at the club field on Saturday mornings, at home I have my own airstrip about 200' from my hanger so it's very easy to fly multiple planes everyday. I usually fly 4 or 5 planes, two flights per plane during the week then on Saturday I take 6 to 8 planes to the club field and make several flights with each one. Currently I keep 27 planes ready to fly.
    TiredIron Aviation
    Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I have really only been in the hobby since Sept 2015. Usually, I get one day on the weekend to go the club field, sometimes I can fly both days; Occasionally, I'll stop by after work. I have a carrier rack for my Tahoe that allows me to take my FLRC P-38 and 3 other 1100-1200mm models, plus a few UMX planes, and my EFlite Viking. The last trip to the field, I counted 9 airplanes in the Tahoe. At the field, I usually fly my EFlite P-47 3 or 4 times, my FLRC P-38 twice, then my other 1100 - 1200mm planes a time or two each. If I feel like it, I'll pull out the UMX planes and may make 4 or 5 flights with them. I will recharge batteries at the field.

At my house, I have a decent flying area and can fly 3S-450 and smaller planes there. In the evenings, I'll often fly the UMX planes twice each.
      Attached Files
      ---
      Warbirder

Comment

I usually bring 4-5 planes and do around 6-8 flights, assuming that the wind stays reasonable. More often than not, that gets cut short. Mostly, this is just due to not having multiple sets of batteries for some airplanes, especially for twin packs like the F-14 and P-38. My usual favorite combination is bringing the F-14, B-17, Lancaster, P-38, and 980 P-40.

Comment

Based on the numbers as of yesterday when I responded to TiredIron's "100 days" thread, got 402 sorties across 71 days for an average of 5.6 flights per flying session.
          Just finished crunching the numbers on actual flight time....... 45+ hrs YTD. :D
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I started flying April 1 this year, I have three radios a Futaba J8 with 77 hrs, a Tactic 8ch with 43 hrs and a Spektrum Dx7i with 18 hrs...I think I may be a little consumed with flying at the moment.
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
              .. for an average of 5.6 flights per flying session.
              Ah, the telltale sign that you must not fly edfs, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post

Ah, the telltale sign that you must not fly edfs, haha.
                :huh: , ya lost me on that analogy Delta. I do love my prop birds but of the 26 in the hangar, I do have an A6 and a 262. The Intruder is my fave but that is because I was assigned with them in the early 70's. EDF's are not my passion just because the flight times are half of what I get out of a prop driven bird.
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Exactly, I was referring to the shorter flight times, usually 3 minutes or so. I would guess my average flight time is around 4 minutes, but I fly my edfs pretty often.

Comment

Originally posted by F106DeltaDart View Post
                    Exactly, I was referring to the shorter flight times, usually 3 minutes or so. I would guess my average flight time is around 4 minutes, but I fly my edfs pretty often.
                    OK, got ya. My 5.6 number was a quantity of flights per session and not the length of time per flight. My prop flights average 7-10 minutes and like you my EDF's are 3.5 to 4 minutes.
                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

During the week after work i fly 6 flights. Four with the P-38 and two with the F-86. Now on a day off at the club or local lot. Minimum 12-14 flights. I've had alot of 18-21 flight days with my record being 23 at the field. Most the time I take 2 planes. A P-38 and F-86. Otherwise, I'll take 3 with the addition of my FW P-51. I don't have to take any wings off with the 3 loaded. If I want/need to take more, wing(s) have to come off then to fit.
                      Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                      Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

I have a little Golf GTI with a shelf so I can take 2 layers of planes. I put as many as I can without incurring too much hanger rash. I usually fly only in the mornings as the afternoon sun makes it hard to see the plane at certain points in the flying airspace. I try to take 2 batteries per plane. For example, this morning, I took 5 planes and had 10 flights. The car is now packed for tomorrow's flights and I have 4 planes, so I'll have 8 flights. Keep in mind that we have 2 sailplane flights every time we go out and these can last between 30 minutes to an hour, depending on how bored we get.
                        The bigger the planes, the fewer I can take. This morning was the Radian, Yak 130, Seawind, UMX P-51m and Sonic wing. For tomorrow, I have my P-38, Pilatus, MAKO and Mystique. I have been known to cram up to 7 planes in the car but takes up more flying time than I can devote on any given day.

Comment

This summer I could only take two planes to the field. And I only had two flights on each. But I've just completed a new plane rack for my Jeep. So next season I should be able to take four. So I need to start collecting new batteries this winter.

Comment

I can take three planes to the field comfortably. Mornings and afternoons, depending on how many folks are at the field I usually fly each one twice. My favorite time to fly is just before sunset and I often have the field to my self at that time of day, so I can fly two or three planes several times each.

Comment

Hi guys

I will amaze people with my dodge caravan. I have been known to bring 15 planes to an event and yes I fly each one twice. The real bear is to tare them down takes for ever but sure worth it to me though.

Comment

Woah! Any pics of how you cram them all in there? :)

Comment

G'day gang,
                                  I usually take two models to the field but can fit four FMS 1400 mm models in the rack in the back of my Hyundai iload van fully assembled ready to go. I can aslo fit the Freewing B-17 on the bottom of the rack and fit three others. However, I am limited to putting the P-38 or the Bf109 on the top rack.
                                  The usual mix is Corsair, Mustang, Trojan.
                                  This is the six seater van so I can take club mates with me on a road trip or just me and camp in the van. I am short enough to be able to put a mattress across in front of the back seat and sleep there.
                                  At home, I try for six flights a day but have managed eight. This was unique as well, two at one field and then six at another.
                                  I manage seven sometimes, but I spend too much time socializing with other pilots and instructing.:rolleyes:
                                  As PR officer for my club, it is not hard to spend several hours talking to new members and getting them up to speed and suddenly realize that I have only had two flights for the day. The same can happen when instructing but I kind of count them as flying.
                                  I am working six days a week with thirteen hour days right now so my Sunday morning is precious time out at the moment.
                                  I enjoy the club scene and have made some good friends through the club.
                                  Hope you all have a great weekend and plenty of flying.
                                  We have thunderstorms around right now and it has been the norm every afternoon for a week. It is our storm season but it usually makes for near perfect conditions in the morning. Roll on Sunday.:D
                                  Regards and respect
                                  Daryl

Grafton Model Aircraft Club Radio Control NSW Australia MAAA

Comment

I actually kept a logbook of my flights last year and for some reason didn't this year.
                                    Usually, I take three planes to the field, one being Diane's Apprentice which is easy since the wing is off it anyway.
                                    I'm going to have to rethink my method of packing planes in the box of my truck, it would be great to design a rig to get a couple in the back without having to remove wings, a winter project. Took 5 to NEFI along with radios and tools, battery box and luggage, camera and wife, so not bad, but I had to pull wings and the Pitts took up the back, I did have the Pandora in there as well but with the wing off.
                                    I usually take a proven plane as well as one I'm working on. For instance, Old Crow and the Bearcat went yesterday after work. Got one flight in on Old Crow and three on the Bearcat. I had some tail wheel issues with Old Crow, which I fixed with some Foam-Tac when I got her home.
                                    So that gave me four flights, I usually average 5-6, depending on the battery supply. With a limited number of 4s, with two planes taking them, I have as many flights available as my batteries, with 3s I have a ton of them, so its not as bad, both Pandoras and the Spitty take them, the Waco does as well but she's retired.
                                    I'm seriously thinking of converting the Spitty to 4s as well, upgrade the esc and see what happens.
                                    But now that the subject has been brought up, I think I'll try the logbook again next season.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                    X