You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphine / Lipo Batteries in Motion RC's Future?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TWTJ..........Have been watching the dialog on and off for the past year over on RCG about this Graphene technology and like you I am very interested in where it is gonna go.
    I think for now on whenever I chat with someone about these that I'm not going to use the term Graphene anymore but rather as what they really are............Carbon Conductor Lipos or maybe CCL for an acronym.

I would like to officially request that Motion/Tom notify us when the "new formula" Admirals make it into inventory. Am in holding pattern on my investment on 6>4S and 4>6S Admirals till then.
    Hopefully by mid year Tom will also be able to announce the release of the 'Motion' CCL for us to play with. ;)
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I started to use the term "Graphene" (note the capital) because I was referring to the HobbyKing Turnigy brand name of battery. Then Revo started to have "graphene techology" (note NO capital) in their batteries along with another popular brand. In this sense, "graphene" is supposed to be a single molecular layer of carbon (barely visible to the naked eye as it floats in a pool of water), so some companies are taking liberties when they use the term. Through time, people on the forums just referred to all batteries with graphene or carbon tech as "graphene batteries". While graphene is carbon, not all carbon is graphene. Techies consider a graphene single moleculer layer as "2 dimensional" and lacks that 3rd dimension. Carbon, on the other hand, can have thickness and hence, be 3 dimensional. It's a distinction that not everyone appreciates.

Comment

Good destinction xviper2.

OV10, I'm in the same holding pattern, as the Admirals I need have been out of stock for a while. My last contact with MRC CS indicated Friday as being the In Stock date.

Tom, Could you please elaborate some on what changes/improvements have been made to the Admiral and Pro versions inbound. Are there any new capacities/C ratings coming to market? Thanks

Comment

Some Admiral batteries are back in stock and I noticed the picture has been updated, they look slightly different.

I'd be interested in what the changes are as well.

Comment

Had a quick online chat with Matt, the batteries that I saw that were different are the 4S 3600 and 6S 5000's, he said they are the new style Admirals. Lighter weight and slightly longer, the updates are mostly in the thickness, they new ones are less.

Comment

Originally posted by dkalwishky View Post
              Had a quick online chat with Matt, the batteries that I saw that were different are the 4S 3600 and 6S 5000's, he said they are the new style Admirals. Lighter weight and slightly longer, the updates are mostly in the thickness, they new ones are less.
              I was waiting for the 4S 3600 Pros to come back in to order them. When the new ones came in they are heavier than the previous version. The originals were 376g and the new ones are 394g. Heavier than the 4S 4000s at 388g.

Comment

Originally posted by Twowingtj View Post

I was waiting for the 4S 3600 pros to come back in to order them. When the new ones came in they are heavier than the previous version. The originals were 376g and the new ones are 394g. heavier than the 4S 4000s at 388g.
                I caught that too TJ :Confused:
                Would someone from Motion (possibly Tom) weigh in (no pun intended) on the real scoop of these newer Admirals mentioned in post#12 :Thinking:
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

The website shows the Admiral 4S 3600's as weighing 378g.

Comment

Depends on which one you look at. The one with a T connector says 378g, but the one with the EC3 says 368g, but has 12AWG wire instead of 10AWG. I suppose the wire can make the 10g difference.

Comment

I was referencing the 50C Pro versions. Those had the weight increase.

Comment

Gotcha, makes sense now. :)

Comment

Got the newest version of the Admiral 4S 4000mah 40C packs. They are longer. They are hieght and width are narrower than the old ones. The weight specs on the website are incorrect. The old ones were listed as 388g. The new version still shows 388g. When I weighed the new ones, they were 403g and 406g. When using 2 packs like in the P-38, that's 1.4oz heavier. Might not be able to balance it. We'll see.

Comment

I just bought 2 of those Admiral 4S 4000mAh 40C packs yesterday and they were shipped today and now I learn from my neighbor that even though the dimensions are better for fitting into the P-38 than the older style that the weight on the new ones could be an issue especially on a bird that is already slightly nose heavy. :Thinking:
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol View Post

Depends on which one you look at. The one with a T connector says 378g, but the one with the EC3 says 368g, but has 12AWG wire instead of 10AWG. I suppose the wire can make the 10g difference.
                              Odd, when I looked before this post, the Pro version didn't display, but now it does.

Comment

Originally posted by WintrSol View Post

Odd, when I looked before this post, the Pro version didn't display, but now it does.
                                Might be due to the reason of the disclaimer presently flying on the website.
                                notice - customers using Internet Explorer web browser may experience issues when viewing or ordering products. While we work to resolve the issue, please use an alternative web browser such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox, or Safari

I was having issues trying to use my wishlist. Everything showed in stock while using IE but when I used Chrome as suggested the two parts that I know were not in stock showed that they were not in stock.
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

The new 4000s are very good looking batteries, the overall quality seems better than the old ones (which were great) they fit the Tigercat much better than the and as far as the weight I can't tell any difference in how they perform.
                                  TiredIron Aviation
                                  Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

I picked up 2 ea. of the new 4S 4000mah 40C and 2 ea. of the 6S 5000mah 50C. They are all good looking batteries very solid and tight square corners. The P-38 CGs right at 70mm with the 2 4000s pushed all the way back. Should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Might be due to the reason of the disclaimer presently flying on the website.
                                      notice - customers using Internet Explorer web browser may experience issues when viewing or ordering products. While we work to resolve the issue, please use an alternative web browser such as Chrome, Edge, Firefox, or Safari

I was having issues trying to use my wishlist. Everything showed in stock while using IE but when I used Chrome as suggested the two parts that I know were not in stock showed that they were not in stock.
                                      What is Internet Explorer? ;) I've used Firefox since it was born, so to speak. Must have been a history thing, which was cleared with an update.

Comment

There is a big difference between the new Admiral batteries and the old Admiral batteries. While the old Admirals were great batteries, we knew new technologies existed in the battery arena and wanted to take advantage. The goal was to improve performance, longevity (cycles), and quality without increasing the price. no problem, right? It became clear the improvements we wanted to make required a different factory with more capability in order to reach these goals. After a lot of time, a lot of testing, and many meetings, the new Admiral batteries are here. The difference in performance and quality is immediately noticeable in all our testing. The dimensions and weights changed slightly. Some batteries a very slightly heavier and some are slightly lighter. Most dimensions are very similar to the old batteries but there were a couple exceptions where the changes in dimensions were more drastic. The most drastic change is our 6S 5000 - the weight is quite a bit less at the expense of extra length. Any significant size/weight changes were tested in various planes and we noticed no negatives and the performance gains made us happy. I'm fairly certain all of you are going to really like the changes to the Admiral batteries.

Comment

Thanks for the response and update Tom. I've already purchased several of the new packs. Already a fan of the Admiral line. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Comment

Working...
                                          X