X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panel lines

I'm not sure where the practice started, but modelers now tend to grossly over-exaggerate the panel lines.

Look at actual photos of the aircraft. Often from 20 ft the panel lines are just that... FINE lines, if visible at all. But on models of these same aircraft, the panel lines are represented by HEAVY lines even when on the full sale they were putty filled, sanded and painted to become invisible.

Almost every EPO "scale" model has deeply molded in panel lines where the lines actually might be better represented by using an X-acto to carefully scribe the line then going over the model with a weathering "wash" (very thin paint) or using a straight edge and a very fine draftsman's pen. Or often... just not bothering because just the paint of the full scale aircraft filled the line.

I'm working on (excessively slowly...) a 107 inch span Me-262 and at appx 1/5 scale the majority of panel lines should be invisible from 3 feet. In some paint schemes (because of the lightly applied paint late in the war to save paint) the "bondo" would show through as a COLOR variation with wavy edges, but NO dirt filled joint between panels because the joint is filled with the "bondo" (whatever the putty was the Germans used, it was light tan) The planes that only had the putty but no paint other than markings had the slightly wavy putty about 2 to 3 inches wide covering the flush rivets and panel joints. You'd see the putty, not the panel edge or rivets.

Often the only panel lines we should actually see on the models would be the edges of access hatches, doors and where the canopy could open.

Even on the 70+ year old aircraft, if you go look at them from appx 20 ft away (close to what you should see at 3 ft from a 1/6 scale model) YOU OFTEN CAN'T SEE THE PANEL LINES.

Don't overdo your panel lines.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

This has been a major gripe with me for years. Seems these toyish looking panel lines would take a lot of unnecessary work on the original model. I know it takes a huge amount of work to hide them on the reproductions. PLEASE!...Stop with the panel lines!!!! Doc

Comment

I agree. Should be very subtle. Even these on my BV-141B are a little over done. I think that the average grab-n-go molded foamy flyer likes the panel lines so that they can enjoy a scale looking model plane that doesn't require alot of extra work. Not everyone has or wants to spend the extra time to detail.

The scale models from Freewing and Flightline have a pretty good balance. Alpha does a good job of ensuring what is there has a good level of accuracy and detail to be believable. I'm glad they are there. Many of my large birds are blank canvases. So you have to reseach the 3 views, if available, and do all of the line layout work youself. It can be a PITA to get right.

As the quality of the foam and molds has gotten better, so has the line work. Maybe in the future, the lines can be finer and less deep. That could help the over the top look some have now. Of coarse, not over highlighting them while weathering helps too.

Comment

Look at that... FEW panel lines are visible. NONE are as grossly ugly as seen on most models.
        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

I know that they aren't often perfect, but I don't mind the thinner panel lines like on the recent Flightline/Freewing releases. On the ~1/10 and larger fighters, and similar scale aircraft, they add detail and definition as long as they are somewhat restrained. However, for the bombers and big transport aircraft that end up around 1/16 or smaller, I would prefer a blank surface. Otherwise the panel lines look like there are foot wide gashes the running across the airframe. I'm in the process of filling them in on my HK C-47 for this reason.

Comment

One of the biggest mistakes I see modelers make when weathering is they overdue it on the panel lines. Subtle is the way to go! Less Is More. I am new to airbrushing and I am already hypersensitive about overdoing it. The more realistic weathering is truly in art in subtlety.
            My YouTube RC videos:
            https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Working...
            X