Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Planes Do You Most Regret Selling?

Throughout my RC "Career" I have bought and sold a ton of aircraft models. Most often I sell when I get bored of a model and want to use the money to buy the latest and greatest. However, once in awhile I end up selling a model I regret. Whether it's due to needing the money to fund another project (or just need cash) or some other reason, there's been a few models I have really regretted selling in retrospect. While not a comprehensive list, here's a small sampling of some that stick out. What about you?

Legend Models P-38 Lightning. My first "giant scale" composite/wood warbird. My buddy built her for me. Quite the build as the manufacturing wasn't great, but she flew beautifully. I ended up selling her to somebody I regret. Just building and packaging the model for shipping was a giant production. Well the guy proceeds to destroy it on the maiden. Why? He hit LVC and she went in. It STILL hurts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dusk6.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	112528

FMS 1400mm Pitts "Oracle". Really a wonderful bi-plane I just loved the crap out of. I painted it up in the bright red Oracle livery. Such a great site in the sky, and wonderful performer. All it was missing was the white smoke. Sold her and still kick myself for doing so.

Name:	DSCN6070.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	112529

Beechcraft Baron G58. My first composite model. I really cool ARF that I enjoyed flying. Really scale details. Can't remember why I sold. Most likely to fund some other project.

Name:	20140311_140005.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	112530

Top Flite Gold Edition Cessna 182 Skylane. How do I love Thee? Let me count the ways...I absolutely love, love, LOVE this model. Such a beautiful kit through-and-through. Excellent quality ARF and she flies darn near like a full scale. This is one I always wish I would have in my hangar and not get stupid and sell.

Name:	premaiden5.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	112531

HSD 105mm F-16 Arctic Camo. This one I get a bit of a free pass as my buddy Downwindleg gave me an offer I couldn't refuse which was his half-completed ESM F4U Corsair. I would have never sold it otherwise. Not a regret at all, but I do wish I had the money to buy the Corsair AND keep the F-16. Well I recently acquired another one that is coming soon so all is well with the world!

Name:	finishedpaint4.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	112532

Honorable Mentions: My 3M ASW-28 from I-Care and Mystery Ship. Beautiful sailplanes. This was early in my RC "career" and I wish I still had them to this day.

Name:	bothb_small.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	112533
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Wow, those are some beautiful models Aros! Sad to hear about the P-38, you would hope that someone buying such a nice model wouldn’t be so careless. My top picks would be:

Eflite Hurricane: An absolutely fantastic flying bird I rebuilt from another club member’s wreck. I fitted retracts and a scale prop, and it flew like it was on rails. She had a really hard time on grass, so I let her go. Now that I have a nice field, I really regret that decision.

Hobby Lobby Mini Telemaster: The ultimate do-anything high wing trainer. It was just setup for 3 channel, but was perfect to learn on and took off instantly. Didn’t even really care flying in up to 30 mph wind or snow. Would be the perfect plane to use for buddy boxing beginners.

Cermark Dragonfly Glider: Super Easy and relaxing to fly. Part Glider, part hotliner. UPS crushed the tail in shipping once, and it never flew true again, even with a careful alignment after rebuilding. Sold it to a friend who totaled.

Trex 450 (Flybarred): My original CP trainer. It’s getting hard to find a Flybarred heli now, and I loved the way it flew. FBL is great, but that mechanical flybar just flew so well.

Comment

I generally fly them till I break them, then give them away or garbage them. On occasion, I'll get bored with one or feel it's just too much plane for me (or the field I fly at) and I'll sell it. The only one I regret selling is the Hanger 9 Twin Otter. The rest, I haven't given any of them a second thought.

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	112572

Comment

This selling of planes is an unknown concept to me...
        TiredIron Aviation
        Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
          Ditto!!! LOL I do, however, fund my neighbor's guitar buying habit from buying his planes....:Silly:

Comment

And trading too ;) Paint is done, just got to add decals and do CG then wait for spring.
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Well it would me too if I had a Utopia space like yours! :Silly: LOL
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

And trading too ;) Paint is done, just got to add decals and do CG then wait for spring.
                Send me a pic...
                TiredIron Aviation
                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                  Throughout my RC "Career" I have bought and sold a ton of aircraft models. Most often I sell when I get bored of a model and want to use the money to buy the latest and greatest. However, once in awhile I end up selling a model I regret. Whether it's due to needing the money to fund another project (or just need cash) or some other reason, there's been a few models I have really regretted selling in retrospect. While not a comprehensive list, here's a small sampling of some that stick out. What about you?

Legend Models P-38 Lightning. My first "giant scale" composite/wood warbird. My buddy built her for me. Quite the build as the manufacturing wasn't great, but she flew beautifully. I ended up selling her to somebody I regret. Just building and packaging the model for shipping was a giant production. Well the guy proceeds to destroy it on the maiden. Why? He hit LVC and she went in. It STILL hurts.

Name:	dusk6.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	347.9 KB
ID:	112528

FMS 1400mm Pitts "Oracle". Really a wonderful bi-plane I just loved the crap out of. I painted it up in the bright red Oracle livery. Such a great site in the sky, and wonderful performer. All it was missing was the white smoke. Sold her and still kick myself for doing so.

Name:	DSCN6070.jpg
Views:	545
Size:	263.8 KB
ID:	112529

Beechcraft Baron G58. My first composite model. I really cool ARF that I enjoyed flying. Really scale details. Can't remember why I sold. Most likely to fund some other project.

Name:	20140311_140005.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	112530

Top Flite Gold Edition Cessna 182 Skylane. How do I love Thee? Let me count the ways...I absolutely love, love, LOVE this model. Such a beautiful kit through-and-through. Excellent quality ARF and she flies darn near like a full scale. This is one I always wish I would have in my hangar and not get stupid and sell.

Name:	premaiden5.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	112531

HSD 105mm F-16 Arctic Camo. This one I get a bit of a free pass as my buddy Downwindleg gave me an offer I couldn't refuse which was his half-completed ESM F4U Corsair. I would have never sold it otherwise. Not a regret at all, but I do wish I had the money to buy the Corsair AND keep the F-16. Well I recently acquired another one that is coming soon so all is well with the world!

Name:	finishedpaint4.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	112532

Honorable Mentions: My 3M ASW-28 from I-Care and Mystery Ship. Beautiful sailplanes. This was early in my RC "career" and I wish I still had them to this day.

Name:	bothb_small.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	112533
                  Wow, you have a Beautiful collection of aircraft there. That must be fun flying them all, that camo jet looks fantastic!

Comment

Originally posted by starcop View Post

Wow, you have a Beautiful collection of aircraft there. That must be fun flying them all, that camo jet looks fantastic!
                    Thanks Matt...Yeah they WERE fun flying them when I still owned them. ;)
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I'm currently decided whether I want to regret selling my Grumman cat collection. So far no sells out of fear of regret :)
                      Current Fleet: Flightline Tigercat, Flightline Bearcat, Eflite Corsair, ESM Skyraider, Pilot RC Yak-54 30%:corsair

Comment

Hi, aeros how did you like the big 182 and the baron twin and what motors you used??

Comment

Me too TI. :Confused:
                          AMA 424553

Comment

Sell a plane?!! I'm perplexed! Doc

Comment

G'day gang,
                              I have sold two models over the years as I could not fit motor racing and modelling in my time frame. [nor the could the wallet handle it].
                              One was a scratch built 1/6th scale Mk IX Spitfire. She went through three owners until the last owner crashed her on his maiden flight with her. It was shame to hear about a twenty five year old model being crashed because ambition out weighed ability.
                              I never saw her fly but the second owner won a lot trophy's with her. He said she flew nicely and it was a shame to see her in a million pieces after the crash.
                              The second one was sixty size Byron P-51D kit. I had not started work on her as such but had cut out some foam core wings for her. The funny thing is, the man I sold the kit to refuses to admit that he purchased the kit off me. We were good friends then and we are good friends now so, that is one thing that I can not work out.
                              But, as far as regrets go......none.
                              I do have a TND 134" Lancaster kit sitting right next to me and I hope to start her in a couple of weeks when it starts to cool down a bit.
                              Regards and respect
                              Daryl

Comment

Wow, I thought I was a typical example of a RC pilot (buying and selling) but so far it sounds like I am in the minority. For me it was always a natural part of the hobby (get tired of a plane, run out of room, just needing the cash, etc). I am trying to think if I had the space would I have kept most of these models? Hmm, thoughts to ponder on a Sunday morning.
                                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	112952

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	112952
                                    I agree. There are other voices to listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                      Wow, I thought I was a typical example of a RC pilot (buying and selling) but so far it sounds like I am in the minority. For me it was always a natural part of the hobby (get tired of a plane, run out of room, just needing the cash, etc). I am trying to think if I had the space would I have kept most of these models? Hmm, thoughts to ponder on a Sunday morning.
                                      You aren't alone Aros. My hanger tends to "evolve" as well. With both my wife and I both flying, the hanger stays full to overcrowded. Our rule of thumb is, if it hasn't flown in two years, it's time to go. Some bigger complex birds get sold and the smaller or simpler birds often get gifted to junior members of our club.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                        I generally fly them till I break them, then give them away or garbage them. On occasion, I'll get bored with one or feel it's just too much plane for me (or the field I fly at) and I'll sell it. The only one I regret selling is the Hanger 9 Twin Otter. The rest, I haven't given any of them a second thought.

Name:	IMG_1453.JPG
Views:	514
Size:	123.9 KB
ID:	112572
                                        I too was wanting a plane like this in SAR livery!! That is why I wish we come out with more civilian/military type prop planes. C-130, P-3 Orion, Lockheed Electra to name a few.

Comment

Working...
                                        X