X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot Ryan and Capt Mike

I may have missed it, but what's happened with Pilot Ryan and Capt Mike on Motion RC? It doesn't seem right not seeing their flight reviews and especially build videos. I realize they have their channel now and I do like they have other planes than just the ones Motion carries, but something still seems to be missing. I just can't get into James' videos, he comes across as too "loud", if that makes sense. Almost like a car salesman. Stewart in Europe does good flight reviews and provides good information about the planes. I also like the different flight reviews from "everyday" people. I know James is trying, but something is missing. Have we seen the last of Pilot Ryan and Capt Mike on Motion RC?

Been wondering also
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

I really like Ryan and Mike's videos. They are well put together and entertaining. Ryan is also quick to respond to questions and comments too.

Comment

James is what are current capitalistic society sees as fit. I know I am a social media manager graduate myself. Loud clicks likes content loud over bearing more more more like subscribe click click click. Its what we where taught in the marketing program. Its the face of motion now. Its one of the reasons I have regressed away from this hobby. It used to be personable but now its just mainstream hype train. It affects me more I guess than most because I have a degree in social media marketing and its clear whats happening. Now lets all Trend Jack some more and get on with it.

Our demographic has been broken down into personal avatars not on the forum this is marketing lingo. Objectives strategies tactics. Then on to demographics. Blogging. Social sites pictorial sites etc etc etc. Hit em hard hit em all with your marketing plan and expectations of likes clicks and subscribers to determine if the campaign is a success.

I sure would like to see the executive summary that was pitched to these guys. This style of marketing is most successful with the younger crowd. Lets face it the demographic of this end of the hobby is likely 40+ middle aged white guy making 60k+ a year. Not someone who is big into snap chat instagram etc. Facebook maybe but not blogging podcasts micro blogging etc. So to us it seems loud and lets face it, it is. This was the style carried over from HK who were trying to use a youthful campaign to move their ****e product. While I am sure Motion and the gang are looking for better marketing campaigns and avenues I would not have pitched this style in my summary. Its to intense and social media orientated. FWIW my .2cents as a marketing grad.

For the record nothing against James from me. He is doing what he was taught either in marketing program or just self taught social media marketing manager.
        AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by AkumaZeto View Post
          Now lets all Trend Jack some more and get on with it.
          Very interesting term that I had never heard of, which of course I always look up if I don't know it.
          So for those like me in the retired demographics, a more meaningful term for us to understand is that it is the modern "jumping on the bandwagon";)
          Warbird Charlie
          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Very interesting term that I had never heard of, which of course I always look up if I don't know it.
            So for those like me in the retired demographics, a more meaningful term for us to understand is that it is the modern "jumping on the bandwagon";)
            Yes Trend Jacking is a way to link your product or service to whats currently Trending right now on social media. That way your product service etc can be relevant to what is bigger right now. Like coat tail riding basically.

Again I dont Fault James he is trying to keep the brand FRESH and Relevant. I just dont think its the correct approach for the target demographic. Creating a social media footprint is not easy
            AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by Bellke View Post
              I may have missed it, but what's happened with Pilot Ryan and Capt Mike on Motion RC? It doesn't seem right not seeing their flight reviews and especially build videos. I realize they have their channel now and I do like they have other planes than just the ones Motion carries, but something still seems to be missing. I just can't get into James' videos, he comes across as too "loud", if that makes sense. Almost like a car salesman. Stewart in Europe does good flight reviews and provides good information about the planes. I also like the different flight reviews from "everyday" people. I know James is trying, but something is missing. Have we seen the last of Pilot Ryan and Capt Mike on Motion RC?
              I agree completely.

Comment

I always look forward to Ryan & Mike's videos. I feel like they're close personal friends even though I've never meet them. I miss them greatly, I knew something must have happened.

James, this isn't to say I don't think you do a good job mate. I have watched those guys for quite a bit, and I'm originally from the south. I'm just use to Ryan's and Mikes's character. Now that I know they have a channel, I will be frequenting it for sure. But I watch your vids too.

Ryan's flight video is the one that convinced me to purchase an F/W F-4. While everyone else was flying them around like they were hyper sonic, Ryan actually flew it around like it was a manageable model. Very much the way I will probably be flying it.

Woody

Comment

I think most of us put more stock in the opinions of someone who is or has actually flown a particular model than the opinion of someone who is watching someone else fly the model.

Comment

I learned way-back-when that companies don’t waste their time marketing to anyone over 50 because those consumers are too set in their ways. The over 50 crowd buys what they want and ignores what they don’t. Ryan’s videos always came across that one of my flying buddies got a new plane and I met him at the field to check it out and watch the test flight. By the end of two flights I was usually saying, “That looks pretty cool; I have to pick one up.” (Actually, I’d usually say, “Damn it, Ryan!” and then click on “add to cart”). James’ videos come across that he is a representative of the company, they are very proud of their new product, and he’d like to share it with you. It’s by no means a hard sell, but my mind immediately shifts into my standard answers to salesmen: “That looks nice; I’ll have to think about it” or ”I like it; I’ll have to run it by my wife.”

Comment

Originally posted by farmflyer View Post
                      I think most of us put more stock in the opinions of someone who is or has actually flown a particular model than the opinion of someone who is watching someone else fly the model.
                      James does fly but he can't fly and film at the same time. It is the same reason why you almost never saw Mike fly in any videos, he is the "camera guy". James is a true enthusiast and gets super excited. He just happens to have fantastic skills with the camera and in the editing room. I thought you guys would like us showing the radio sticks during flight along with the timer and multiple angles. I always wanted to see this but we never had the capability until James came along. I think you guys are really going to like James as you get to know him. Are you guys not liking the new production quality and additional features in our videos?

We're not trying to market to anyone of any age. I'll be glad to take the credit for being that smart but in realty we're just super excited to show off our latest creations and that is all we are trying to do. You have no idea how excited we get about these planes. By the time we get to show them off, we've been working hard on them for 1 - 2 years. You have no idea how hard it is to keep our lips sealed. By the time we finally get to show a new model, we're ready to explode!
                      Last edited by Marco Polo; Dec 20, 2018, 11:58 PM.

Comment

I miss seeing Pilot Ryan & Captain Mike as a part of MotionRC. They ARE what led me to MotionRC as my first stop online for all things RC. As some others have stated, they somehow have always come as close as possible to replicating the actual "talking to buddies at the flying field" experience as I think can be achieved without actually being there.
                        I'm also a fan of James. His production is fantastic and he does very good build videos and reveals. I may be the odd one out here, but I also dig how he's implementing Motion's social media. He's great at getting folks involved and active - and the giveaway challenges are really cool too. I was fortunate enough to get to meet and hang out with all 3 at JetJam 2018 and all 3 were really fun to be around and were very much enjoying the hobby and making the most of their time there. I felt like a flying bud, not just a customer.
                        Thirdly, I'm also a Stewart fan. He does super-thorough flight reviews and knows his way around these birds.

I guess my point is:
                        My admiration for MotionRC is unchanged and I don't take issue with how they're doing things... I just really miss seeing Pilot Ryan and Captain Mike. They're great guys that have won many of us over for all the right reasons. I'm glad they're at least still going strong on their own!

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post

James does fly but he can't fly and film at the same time. It is the same reason why you almost never saw Mike fly in any videos, he is the "camera guy". James is a true enthusiast and gets super excited. He just happens to have fantastic skills with the camera and in the editing room. I thought you guys would like us showing the radio sticks during flight along with the timer and multiple angles. I always wanted to see this but we never had the capability until James came along. I think you guys are really going to like James as you get to know him. Are you guys not liking the new production quality and additional features in our videos?

We're not trying to market to anyone of any age. I'll be glad to take the credit for being that smart but in realty we're just super existed to show off our latest creations and that is all we are trying to do. You have no idea how excited we get about these planes. By the time we get to show them off, we've been working hard on them for 1 - 2 years. You have no idea how hard it is to keep our lips sealed. By the time we finally get to show a new model, we're ready to explode!

Tom I just took this to Pm
                          AMA 1102566

Comment

Originally posted by andrew_flyguy View Post
                            I was fortunate enough to get to meet and hang out with all 3 at JetJam 2018 and all 3 were really fun to be around and were very much enjoying the hobby and making the most of their time there.
                            I felt like a flying bud, not just a customer.
                            Same here. James, Mike, and Ryan are great guys.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0y...k2g4fWzSdepZXg Here they are
                              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Thanks for posting that link Hippie I was just fixing to post it here. And yes Tom I do enjoy seeing the sticks in the flight videos it gives me an understanding of how to do some things that I currently am unfamiliar with. As far as James I have no issues with him but maybe it would help with the perception of him if he did fly some on camera like Mike did. As for Ryan and Mike go I remember when they were helping Motion in the early days. They did build and flight review videos and also Ryan was one of the people you were directed to when you needed technical advise. They were a big part in Motion being what they are today. I am sure I am not alone in feeling that they would or should always be a part of Motion RC. I also agree that they seemed more like old friends and have become good friends of mine maybe with time some of the new people at Motion will be seen as old friends as well. I will remain a customer of Motion RC because they are the best source for most of my RC needs.

Comment

I have to admit.. after tooling around with the drone for a year.. it was their fantastic videos that gave me the confidence to try fixed wing flying. Pilot Ryan was always quick to respond if I had an issue binding, or whatever, too. It's true, these guys just felt like a buddy at the field that is quick to help ya out. Not sure where, or why, they've moved on either. I do miss they're vids too though. That being said... James is doing a decent job. I do like how he's incorporated the stick control into the videos as well. just gotta give him some time. It's quite obvious, by this thread alone, he's got some huge shoes to fill.
                                  Dynam; E-Flite; Freewing

Comment

Hippie that link didn’t seem to work so for those of you looking for Ryan and Mike try this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post

We're not trying to market to anyone of any age. I'll be glad to take the credit for being that smart but in realty we're just super existed to show off our latest creations and that is all we are trying to do. You have no idea how excited we get about these planes. By the time we get to show them off, we've been working hard on them for 1 - 2 years. You have no idea how hard it is to keep our lips sealed. By the time we finally get to show a new model, we're ready to explode!
                                      Tom... I appreciate the reply, but as a MotionRC guy, what is the status of Ryan and Mike? Are they no longer part of Motion? I hope not, because as you can see they were a part of making it what it is to us customers. They were the face of Motion, people we could relate to and trust when it came to making a buying decision. This is not a hit on James, but his personality seems a little over the top at times, like he's another salesman. With Ryan and Mike, it was like we knew them (or someone like them at the field) who gave you a demo of a new plane and then if needed, helped you build it with the pointers you don't get from the manual. I do like the technical parts of James' videos, he works to get good shots and does more than Ryan or Mike could with the video. But it's not always the technical parts of a video that helps a person buy something. This kind of purchase is more of an emotional one and Ryan and Mike made you feel comfortable in buying the product. This morning I watched a video of Capt Mike demo'ing the Sabre Jet from Horizon and before I realized it, had one on order. I'm not saying this will stop me from being a customer with Motion, heck, I'm fighting the urge to order the new Corsair as it is (and I know I'm going to lose that fight). But I wasn't won over by a loud, slick production but instead by watching Alpha's demo and him talking about the plane on a podcast. I guess what I'm saying is it would be a shame if Motion ditches 2 people that we all associate with the company and that we have grown to trust and like.

Comment

Bring back Ryan and Mike, I still wonder why Motion didnt hire me, I been in the hobby for over 30yrs and pretty much know everything about planes. Also one of the best pilots at our field . Would love to test and review planes for you guys. but Im guessing im over quaified

Comment

Working...
                                        X