Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a heads up

"Here's the news...

In recent weeks negotiations for various Letters of Agreement (LOAs) for AMA clubs in controlled airspace, as required by new federal legislation, are not going as well as expected.

It appears that the Air Traffic Organization (ATO) within the FAA will be arbitrarily setting 400 feet as the maximum altitude allowed at all sites within controlled airspace. The FAA also appears to be ready to set certain unilateral and unrealistic limits in Class G, uncontrolled airspace. These actions do not meet previous assurances given to AMA. Many AMA members who fly aerobatic, soaring, sailplanes, jets, IMAC, pattern, and other classes that require higher altitudes to operate will be significantly affected if not grounded. A 400 foot limit will also adversely affect training activities at many local club fields.

A call to action email to all AMA members is scheduled to be issued tomorrow, Monday, October 7, 2019. It is critical that everyone respond and contact their representatives in Congress to express dissatisfaction with the FAA's intentions. The call to action email message will include call to action instructions.

AMA members, friends, family, and anyone else may contact their representatives to voice their objections to the expected limits. Please encourage all your contacts to take action!"
    Last edited by BluesDragon; Oct 7, 2019, 04:17 PM.
    when they outlaw R/C, only outlaws will have R/C

Thanks for posting mongo. This a serious issue that could affect ALL RC flyers and ultimately the RC businesses we know and support.

Many have strong and often misguided feelings about the AMA, but the truth is, they are THE ONLY organization fighting for us. We ALL need to support this effort. Why contact Congress? They hold the purse strings for the FAA.

We as normal RC flyers are not the problem. Do a search on Youtube for things like FPV cloud surfing or hopping. Then you'll see one of the many reasons why we are where we are. Even if FAA pushes this through, the folks you see on youtube will keep it up.

Let's keep it civil and be united in letting our voices be heard on Capitol Hill. Friends and family can support this effort as well. The more that do it, the louder the voice.

Comment

copied from the LM call to action letter of 8 Oct 19

" Commonly Asked Questions for the October Call to Action

Q: How can I act?
      A: Visitwww.modelaircraft.org/higher-flightor www.modelaircraft.org/gov.Simply enter your name and location, AMA will populate the form with your elected legislators. We have also provided text you can use or edit to make your own. We encourage all of those who support the hobby to participate.

Q: What are the recreational UAS altitude restrictions found in this FAA policy?
      A: Recreational UAS users will only be permitted to fly up to 400 feet in controlled airspace. This altitude will vary depending upon the user's location. In uncontrolled airspace, recreational users will be permitted to fly up to 700 feet or 1,200 feet, depending upon the user's location. It is unclear at this time if these uncontrolled airspace altitudes will be permitted only at fixed flying site locations. Controlled and uncontrolled airspace locations can be found on the FAA's UAS Facility Map.

Q: This new FAA policy would restrict flights to 400 feet and below in controlled airspace. What is controlled airspace?
      A: Controlled airspace is typically found within 5 miles of an airport with air traffic control towers. However, keep in mind that there are some airports in controlled airspace that don't have control towers.

Q: Is there a waiver process to fly above 400 feet in controlled airspace?
      A: The policy is not finalized, but we are being told that there will not be a waiver process for flights over 400 feet in controlled airspace.

Q: Our flying site is located in controlled airspace. Should we continue working through the LOA process?
      A: Yes. Flying sites located in controlled airspace will still require a letter of agreement (LOA) with local air traffic control (ATC) facilities.

Q: The LOA we received from our local ATC is unsatisfactory. Should we still sign it?
      A: No. If you have received an LOA that you are unhappy with, reach out to the AMA Government Affairs team before signing it.

Q: What is uncontrolled airspace?
      A: Uncontrolled airspace, or Class G airspace, is typically found in rural areas away from airports.

Q: How high will I be able to fly in uncontrolled airspace?
      A: The FAA has stated that it is working on a blanket flying site waiver for uncontrolled airspace. This will allow AMA members to fly up to 700 feet or 1,200 feet depending upon the location within Class G airspace.

Q: Isn't flying up to 700 feet or 1,200 feet in Class G airspace good?
      A: Although these altitudes will be sufficient for most of our members, we have a number of disciplines that will need to go higher than these proposed heights. Thermal soaring, large model aircraft, turbine jets, and international competitions will suffer greatly if there is a hard cap at these heights. Not only will these disciplines suffer, but the industry supporting these disciplines will be negatively impacted.

Q: New recreational requirements were signed into law in October 2018. Why am I just hearing of this?
      A: The FAA has been working to implement the new recreational requirements for months. Until recently, the FAA has been telling AMA that our operations will not be negatively impacted. However, within the last week, the FAA informed us of a coming policy that will not allow altitude waivers for recreational fliers.

Q: I want to do my part. How can I help address these burdensome altitude restrictions?
      A: Use the link provided by AMA to contact your senators and representatives. Congress gave the FAA the flexibility to allow AMA operations to continue as they have for decades. It's time your congressional representatives inform the FAA that your voice needs to be heard.

Q: These altitudes will be perfect for the type of flying I do. Should I still contact Congress?
      A: Absolutely. We should show our support to all aspects of model aviation. Although these altitude restrictions only appear to impact a minority of the hobby, they will have a negative impact on the hobby as a whole once they are implemented."

when they outlaw R/C, only outlaws will have R/C

Comment

Originally posted by mongo View Post
        "Here's the news...Please encourage all your contacts to take action!"
        Mongo, I thank you for submitting this and helping to keep us all aware at what is currently happening in our hobby. Respectfully, LB
        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Many competitions are compromised by a 400 ft max altitude

400 ft is the appx "3 mistakes high" for doing training flights on the buddy box with a .40 size glow trainer.

The higher performance EDFs can barely do a split S in 400 ft.

Yes, its going to hurt the hobby.

But AMA failed to see the problems coming and ignored warnings that encouraging practices that were questionable at best would eventually lead to the need for FAA to impose regulation.

I was one of the people trying to warn about it more than 10 years ago.
          I was told to just shut up.

FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
          X