Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1400mm T28

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1400mm T28

The exact same thing happened when I flew my FMS 1400 T-28 last summer. Had three flights on that plane on previous days and the next week had a 4th flight. Plane lifted off the grass field got to about 25 feet and sharply dropped the left wing and crashed hard into a wood post destroying the cowl, props, landing gear, ripped off off the left wing and aileron. Have not repaired it since.

Comment

It sounds like the same thing I have had happen on a couple of the 800mm FMS war birds, and even to some extent on some larger planes, like the Dynam AT-6 Texan. I attribute it to the dreaded torque roll, and for me anyway, the cure is to advance the throttle slowly to about half, let the plane roll out until the tail comes off the ground, and make sure you have a bit of right aileron cranked in as it lifts off with just a bit of up elevator, and advance the throttle on up until the plane feels stable in the air. Since the t-28 is a tricycle gear, it should be more resistant to torque roll, so maybe just a longer take off run and less up elevator. If you force the plane off the ground before it is ready, it will likely stall and drop a wing tip.

Believe me, I have experienced it more than once, and thankfully, foam is pretty easy to repair with a bit of epoxy.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Sorry to hear about that Baron. I haven't had that problem as of yet and my 1400 t-28 has been flawless
        ( knock on wood ). Sounded like a bad crash...OUCH.
        Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

I thought about getting a 800mm T28 until I saw a few videos on You tube. I've seen and heard that they are pretty squarely on take off and landings. I think because of the scale down it looses some of the flight characteristics..
          Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

I also put an external 10 amp BEC on both my 1400mm's. With 9 servos I just don't trust the China speed control with only 5 amps. Gives me peace of mind..
            Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Hi Tootall505-Yes, I have learned the hard way that the 800mm size are more of a handful to fly than the larger planes. On the plus side, once you can fly them well, they are very rewarding to fly and really force you be on top of them to fly well. I think they have helped me be a better pilot, especially when I move to larger planes. The other bonus is that they are relatively inexpensive, easy to repair (ask me how I know!! Ha!), and fit even into the smallest cars.

Sounds like you are doing well with that 1400 T-28, and I wish you the best of luck when you go back to the P-51s too!

Comment

Hey Tootall505
                Thank you for the reply. It is a grass runway, no wind and the runway is quite long.
                The field is VERY bumpy (frost heaves) not flat at all. I'm thinking it could have been on the roll out
                maybe the right wheel hit a bump? Not sure.
                I flew other planes that day with no problem. When I get the new props in I'll just have to try again.
                I may try a "short field" take-off next time. But before that I will read your other posts.
                Thanks again Ron

Comment

Thanks Loneflier,
                  Before I read your post I was thinking about a short field take off but now I'm thinking the opposite and take your advise. Of course the bumpy field doesn't help. If It stays cold I may shovel myself a runway on the lake and fly over the ice. I just can't wait to get her in the air.
                  Happy Landings
                  Ron

Comment

Hey Baron,
                    Oh man that's a hard hit. But it's foam with a few battle scars now. I have a Parkzone T-28. That poor thing has been in SO many crashes, stuck in countless trees and still flies like new. It doesn't LOOK new after being broken in half a few times LOL Ya gotta love foam

Comment

Greetings Gang,

I'm brand new to this forum and stumbled upon this thread, as I also have a 1400mm T-28 and I absolutely adore it!! If you really want to enhance an already awesome flying plane add the Mr. RC Sound module!! It fits perfectly over the front landing gear well.
                      It changes everything for an electric foamy of that size and really freaks people out at the flying field because that big engine sound it the last the they're expecting to hear from an electric!

It also shuts down the "Nitro-heads" who are always complaining the electrics don't make noise.

There's nothing like that "gutteral" engine rumble going by on a slow, low pass.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that and glad to be aboard.

Comment

Hey Rocketeer.. Welcome aboard.

We all love our T28's and in my opinion is the best flying plane. I've seen a lot of videos on the sound systems and they sound great, but for $150.00!!! OUCH. That's half the cost of the plane. Besides I fly with an all electric club and don't really care what the nitro guys would say...lol Anyway it's great to see new people join the forum and we are all here to help and support each other anyway we can.

Happy flying... Tootall505

P.S. Had my 1400 P51 Red tail for 3 weeks ( grounded by weather ) and hope to get it in the air this weekend!
                        Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Greetings Tootall,

Agreed, the $150 hit was a bit much and the only way I could justify it is to eventually swap it back and four between my four 1400mm/1600mm birds where $37.50 doesn't sound so bad. The things we do for toys, right?

Thanks for the welcome.

About a week ago I put the finishing touches on my Starmax 1600mm A1 Skyraider and finally the Sun is starting to break through here in Oklahoma. I hope to get a maiden flight in this weekend.

Clear Skies

Comment

Hello Rocketeer, and let me welcome you to the forum as well. It is interesting that almost everyone who flies RC planes seems to love the T-28 in just about any size from ultra micro, to the 1450mm sizes. I am just finishing up a Dynam 1270mm T-28 that I am setting up with flaps and anxious to try it out. I fly all electric, and while I have seen videos of planes using the sound system, I have not tried one. Our field is all electric anyway, so no nitroheads to worry with there! Ha!

Please update the status on your 1600mm Skyraider. I have been looking at that kit through HK, but have not pulled the trigger. Really nice looking plane, and I would like to know your thoughts on the build and flying it. I have not had a Starmax kit, but they do look nice. Love the larger scale Fly Baby they make too.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, and good luck with your flying!

Comment

I have V-2, I had problems with the flap servo as well as cowl flaps. You will have to replace servos at some point. Do a check before each flight if any surface flutters replace them. I replaced a cowl flap servo out of the box but this was over 3 years ago when I got it. FMS has gotten better in quality. The other servos I replaced at the 64 hour mark. I stopped logging hours after 93 hours. That was 2 years ago. I still fly it and is the ol stand by. The V-3 has a wire landing gear trip and no servos I like this much better. Im just over 12 hours on V-3 and love it. No problems yet.
                              Be sure to loc-tight landing gear out of the box they will start to swivel if you don't. I disagree with battery placement from the factory. Cut the front foam square level with the bottom and add velcro. The battery hind end should be in line with the velcro hold down strap. Yes that is a 5000ma hard case battery in this plane.
                              If your flying a 3000ma-5000ma battery it will always be in this position. It fly's rock steady.

Change the front wheel to 2.25 Dave Brown wheel. This will allow better prop clearance from the ground.

This Is the best plane in the FMS line up " thats only my humble but accurate opinion " happy flyin.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike. I don't have any problems with the flap or cowl servos. No flutter just a little buzz sound now and then. I like the factory battery placement position and the plane CG's and fly's perfectly. I tried the Dave brown 2.25" wheel and found it to be to soft and to large. When the retract closes it rubs on the doors when they close, so I changed to Du-bro 2" low bounce and they work much better for the V3. Logged about 30 flights so far and she's the best. Got rid of my PZ T-28. Got 6 flights on my new 1450mm Red tail P51D so far and getting used to the tail dragger thing, but that's another Post.
                                Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Well folks I crashed the T28 last Sunday. The Trojan and the Mustang were perfect all day. It was getting late and I had 1 battery still charged so I decided to fly the T28 one last time. Take off and flight was perfect as usual. Did some rolls, loops and a Cuban 8. On the last half of the Cuban 8, top of the arch I flew it into the sun. Talk about blinded by the light. Couldn't see anything but spots. I thought a rolled it over upright and pulled back on the stick but it must have been upside down because before I knew it, it was in the ground. Total pilot error on my part. Wings and the rudder were the only things that survived. Haven't tested the electronics yet so we'll see. I ordered another new one today and look forward to getting it. I'll keep everyone posted on how it goes.
                                  Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Thats like being punched in the gut. Sorry to hear that Tootall. Once you fly a Trojan you cant live without one.

Comment

Amen to that Capt.Mike The new Trojan will be here Tuesday and look forward to the build.
                                      Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

hey Capt. Mike. I got the new Trojan built and had the maiden flight yesterday. Everything went perfectly. 3 clicks down elev, 4 clicks right aileron and it was flying just like the old one. ( go figure ).lol
                                        The build was just as easy as the other ( again go figure ), but I spent more time cleaning up the wiring and it looks great. Couldn't be happier. I did paint the top half of the elevator the match the rudder for higher visibility and left the bottom white. I think it looks much better that way.
                                        Attached Files
                                        Tootall505 (Chris).

Comment

Hey tootall
                                          That looks GREAT !! I painted my Parkzone T-28 like a Red-Tail that looks nice too. Yours looks awsome.
                                          I added a SBEC and still waiting for good weather.
                                          Happy Landings
                                          Ron

Comment

Working...
                                          X