X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Next for you?

We have a long-running topic asking what's next from Motion, and there's a lot of speculation and wishes being expressed. Rather than dreaming about what might be available sometime in the future, I thought it might be fun to find out what's next in our hangars that we can actually get or build.

The next plane waiting to be added to my hangar is the Flite Test Simple Storch, based on the WWII era German Fieseler Fi-156. While not as true-to-scale as the Black Horse model currently available from MRC, Flite Test's foamboard model is still a decent representation of the STOL aircraft that was one of the most successful of its type during the war. Flite Test's model also fits my budget (and will also fit the back of my Tacoma) much better than the Black Horse model.

My plan is to paint the plane after the Storch on display at the Pima Air and Space Museum, in the colors of the Italian military under Mussolini. While I'm no fan of Mussolini or the Fascist regime he headed, I do appreciate a nice representation of a historical aircraft. Only tough part at this point, is going to be how to get some views of the top of the aircraft, as it is suspended from the ceiling in one of the display hangars at the museum.

I'll need to see if Callie can make me a set of the Fascist emblems for the wings. What I found interesting in them, is that the axe-head of the Roman-era symbol is mirrored on each side, facing towards the end of the wing. Hitler's swastika emblem oriented the same way, with the "points" aiming in the clockwise direction, regardless of which side of the aircraft the emblem was on, but Mussolini's emblem was aimed outward.

This should be a fun project, and I plan to add a bit more detail to my model than is included in the speed-build kit.
Working...
X