Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightline Sea Fury: Correct CG mystery

Hi all,

maybe I'm a bit over cautious as the Sea Fury will be my first warbird after a trainer. I'm still not sure what the correct CG of this warbird would be and here is why.

The manual clearly says the CG should be 8cm from the wing root. I talked to some pilots about this and their first impression was the 8cm look a bit to close to the root. Anyway, getting there seems absolutely impossible with the recommended setup. In my case I have a 4s 4000mah SLS Lipo that has pretty much the same size as the recommended Admiral and it' s even a little heavier. I also put the ESC as far as possible towards the nose and my CG is somewhere at 11-12 cm. I red the forums and reviews carefully and many people seem to have the same issue and putting quite a lot of lead in the nose to get to the CG as described in the manual. That in general wouldn't be a problem but I also read from a lot of people the Sea Fury tends to tip over when landing.

I watched the offical MotionRC video on youtube and came across the comment screenshoted below. Here James states he doesn't use any additional weight but also that he hits the CG at 8cm. I can't imagine this is somehow possible unless the the geometry of the fuselage was changed to put the battery even further which i doubt happend. Assuming James is right and he didn't add any weight how should it be possible to hit the correct CG ? Assuming he flew without weight and the CG was further away from the root I have to say it flew very nice and also no sign of the plane tends to tip over.

Of course before my maiden I wanna be as good prepared as possible. I neither wanna have a plane that easily tips over and might destroy my prop nor a plane that is tail heavy which easily could end in a total loss. Any guidance is much appreciated.

best regards, Sam

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sea_Fury_screenshot.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.2 KB ID:	323689

Sam78EDMO

The 80mm ( 8cm ) is the correct point for CG especially when determining neutral ELE for both norm/inverted flight.
    See this posting of mine from better than 5 years ago for a better insight.

Regards,
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thank you OV10. Some very helpful information in your post. I came across something. I watched the build video from Ryan once again and saw this. It looks there were weights added. Not sure if by factory or just for the build and flight video. Have a look at this screenshot. Those three weights behind the spinner are not there in my model. Anyway I will now stick exactly to the manual and add weights until I'm at exactly 8cm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SF_weights.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	151.3 KB
ID:	326351

Comment

i had about 3 oz in the nose of my sea fury to get the 80mm cg..it flew very nose heavy so took out a oz and still was nose heavy,, i eventually took it down to about 1/2 oz and cg at 105 finally stopped nose overs on take off if u are really easy on the throttle and try to three point the landings .. this is all off of very short grass , landings are still a bit dicey but hasent damaged it at all on about 10 landings yet i will say it flys nice but its just not fun

Comment

Working...
        X