You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Discussion Thread: Bancroft 1/36 Scale "Island" Class Coast Guard Cutter - RTR (Ready to Run)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Discussion Thread: Bancroft 1/36 Scale "Island" Class Coast Guard Cutter - RTR (Ready to Run)

Bancroft 1/36 scale "Island" Class Coast Guard Cutter
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0502.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.1 KB ID:	241614

Semper Paratus!

The Bancroft 1/36 scale "Island" Class Cutter represents the popular patrol boat used by Coast Guards around the world including the United States, Costa Rica, and Ukraine. Delivered as Ready to Run (RTR), this highly detailed, display-quality scale boat can be powering through the water within minutes of arriving at your doorstep.

Included in the box is the model itself, completely painted and mostly assembled, a 2.4Ghz radio, 2.4Ghz receiver, and a 2s battery and charger. All of the electronics are already pre-installed inside the boat --motors, props, ESCs, steering servo, and the aforementioned 2.4Ghz receiver. The user simply needs to add AA batteries into the radio transmitter, charge the included battery with the included charger, then launch the boat in lakes, ponds, or pools.

This high scale Coast Guard Cutter is equally impressive on its included display stand on your mantle or patrolling the waters at your local RC Boat club!

The model arrives as shown below, fully painted and mostly assembled. Some sub-assemblies such as the yellow mast is pre-assembled and pre-painted, however the user plugs it into the main house in addition to assorted antennas. This takes just 10-15 minutes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	USCG_Display_Quality.jpg Views:	1 Size:	107.6 KB ID:	241226

Out of the box, the Bancroft 1/40 scale "Island" class Cutter is sharply detailed, featuring a one-piece molded hull for durability, and a mixture of materials for the various surface details such as the metal Photo-Etched (PE) railings, molded weapons stations and rescue boat, 3DP accessories, metal chain, etc.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	USCG_Durable_Hull.jpg Views:	1 Size:	75.6 KB ID:	241225

Detail covers every surface of this Cutter! It is a satisfying display piece for Coast Guard enthusiasts without any modifications, while hyperscale modelers are also provided the perfect base for additional customization to increase the scale fidelity even further to a truly centerpiece of any RC Scale Boat collection! There is plenty of space for additional batteries and motors and servos to power LEDs, moving cranes and radar arrays, etc.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	USCG_Meticulous_Details.jpg Views:	1 Size:	129.2 KB ID:	241231Click image for larger version  Name:	USCG_LED.jpg Views:	1 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	241227

The factory-installed power system consists of two brushed motors with steel shafts and molded screws (propellers). Two rudders are also driven by a waterproof steering servo. The included display stand keeps the model positioned upright without having to rest on the exposed screws and rudders.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	USCG_Dual_Motor_Drive.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.6 KB ID:	241228

On the water within ~15 minutes of unboxing it, the Bancroft 1/40 scale "Island" class Cutter is quite a quick scale boat! It doesn't kick up a rooster tail, but it does displace a tall bow wave that at times can rise above the height of the deck! I prefer to sail it slowly at scale speeds, around 10% throttle in still water. 70%-100% is frankly too fast for me, but I'm glad that the model's stock power system has the "grunt" if I ever needed it!

Click image for larger version  Name:	USCG_Stable_Hull.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	241230Click image for larger version  Name:	USCG_Scale_plus_Speed.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.9 KB ID:	241232

The potential scale personalizations and upgrades are so numerous with a vessel like this. For now, I'm leaving mine stock, but in the future I plan an LED light installation, and possibly devise a way to operate the launch and recovery crane for the included RHIB (Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat).

As it is, I can highly recommend this boat to scale modelers who are new to RC boats and are interested in acquiring a unique scale subject that has a long service history in real life, and is a practical, easy-to-operate, beautiful looking functional RC Model.
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Reserved for video!

Comment

Should this thread be under military and coast guard ships?

Comment

I love the coast guard and the Grand Isle was the cutter based where I lived in Gloucester MA. Id.be looking to renumber etc this to match her

Click image for larger version

Name:	54ee54ac9f153.image.jpg?resize=1200%2C761.jpg
Views:	2598
Size:	163.7 KB
ID:	243337

Comment

Looks Great Alpha

Comment

Lemme think... where have I seen this before? I know! iHobby Expo in Chicago, 2007! At the Imex booth...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5972b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.0 KB ID:	245586

Still looks just as good.

Comment

looks awsome bro

Comment

Hello all,

Thinking about ordering this boat today. I see that it was offered way back in 2007. Anyone can chime in the experience with this offering? Thanks Dai

Comment

Just ordered ... Three ships in 1.5 weeks ! OK, enough for now... Dai

Comment

The 2007 offering was through IMEX... 13 years ago, could be totally different electronics by now.

Comment

Originally posted by patmat2350 View Post
                      The 2007 offering was through IMEX... 13 years ago, could be totally different electronics by now.
                      Yes I am quite sure. I am hoping the electronics will not let me down. My 1/200 Yamato is now on display because it is too fragile to sail along with ESC problem. I could not find any information on the Net regarding this boat offered in 2007. Dai

Comment

Hello everyone ...

My Cutter has arrived in excellent condition from MRC as always ( 3 ships I bought from MRC). The built is excellent but not complicated in details. This is something that an average modeler could built from a kit if offered to save a few hundred dollars. The decals are water transfered and sealed so everything is smooth and appear painted on. The yellow mast and other yellow parts are a bit too light in color. It could use a slightly darker shade and 2 more coats of paint. MRC please pass this on to Ky Models. The radio is of the pistol type and the electronic equipment is easily assesible. This ship can really benefit from additional detailings such as light, equipments, figures... I will maiden tomorrow and I hope the ESC will not let me down. Dai
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi all

I have three Lipo chargers that come with the boats. Free if anyone wants them. Dai

Comment

dai phan Thanks for your feedback, I'll let the factory know about an additional coat of paint on the yellow mast.

We've received a couple of calls about Upgrade Lighting options for some of these boats, the Fletcher and this Cutter being the more commonly requested.

Which lights would you like to see, specifically, and what would interest you more, an upgrade set for modelers to install if/where they want, or pre-drilled but in-the-box, or completely factory pre-installed?

I prefer to light things myself because I want control over the waterproofing and wiring, but I'd welcome other ideas.
                            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                              dai phan Thanks for your feedback, I'll let the factory know about an additional coat of paint on the yellow mast.

We've received a couple of calls about Upgrade Lighting options for some of these boats, the Fletcher and this Cutter being the more commonly requested.

Which lights would you like to see, specifically, and what would interest you more, an upgrade set for modelers to install if/where they want, or pre-drilled but in-the-box, or completely factory pre-installed?

I prefer to light things myself because I want control over the waterproofing and wiring, but I'd welcome other ideas.
                              ​​​​​​
                              For me who is not electronics savy, pre-installed would be great. But since I already bought the boat, an add on with clear instructions would be welcomed. Dai

Comment

Hello everyone,

I plan to add additional details to this boat since the details are pretty spare. Having tough time finding navy crews or assesories in 1/35-1/40. Maybe in this type of vessels, the deck is pretty clean? Dai

Comment

Does anyone know when these will be back in stock?

Comment

Has anyone had any luck getting the props to maintenance the shafts?

Comment

On my PT boat I drop out the rudders first then loosen the set screws on the prop shafts at the motor and pull the shafts out the back.
                                      It looks like your boat might have a hatch at the rear to get to the rudder set screws.
                                      No rear hatch on the PT boat so it wasn't easy but I managed to get it done.
                                      Now I just pump a little grease into the shaft housings every couple of runnings.
                                      Steve

Comment

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately there is no rear hatch and very difficult to reach the tops of the rudders. My thought was to remove the props and pull the shafts from the inside but I can’t get the props off, I am guessing there are held on with some adhesive. I had a similar experience with the 1/200 Missouri, with that the props are brass so I could heat them to get the adhesive soft and remove them, the cutter props are plastic so that won’t work. I’m thinking to cut the props off and replace them with new ones that don’t have the adhesive.
                                        Rick

Comment

Working...
                                        X