You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official Discussion Thread: Bancroft 1/20 scale "Grand Captain" Trawler RTR (Ready to Run)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Discussion Thread: Bancroft 1/20 scale "Grand Captain" Trawler RTR (Ready to Run)

Bancroft 1/20 scale "Grand Captain" Trawler RTR (Ready to Run)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	grand0301.jpg Views:	7 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	241607

The Bancroft "Grand Captain" is a 1/20 scale boat that keeps the enviable lines of a classic trawler yacht. This nicely detailed cruiser's one-piece molded hull is suited for easy scale cruising by beginners and seasoned boaters alike. Delivered as a Ready to Run ("RTR") RC boat, the Grand Captain arrives fully painted and assembled, with a 2.4Ghz radio and receiver, a battery, and a charger. Six AA batteries were all I needed to add to put this boat in the water. Let's take a closer look at this vessel!

Starting at the bow while its mounted on the included Display Stand, the Grand Captain immediately impressed me with the variety of materials used in its construction. The pulpit incorporates molded parts, 3DP parts for the anchor and roller, metal chain and railings that wrap around the foredeck's raised bullwark, and laser-cut wood decking! For an RTR model, the detail is sharp and plentiful. As a modeler, I thought of all the things I could do with weathering and lighting to make this model "pop" even further.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0261.jpg Views:	1 Size:	78.8 KB ID:	242424Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0253.jpg Views:	1 Size:	91.2 KB ID:	242423

Moving to the flybridge, the open-top cockpit's details are also well made. The laser-cut decking continues to stand out as an impressive visual element of the boat. Blown seats and a wooden table, and metal railings are accentuated by finely molded helm control pieces and life-preserver. The pilot house's simplified windows are rendered as opaque plastic sheets, which is just as well for my tastes. While certain modelers may eventually modify the windows to be clear or more lightly tinted, I'm happy with them as they are for now.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0264.jpg Views:	1 Size:	112.6 KB ID:	242427

The saloon and gallery areas are, not surprisingly, also nicely detailed. I imagine the tedious work of shaping and installing each of the metal railings and I'm thankful that the factory did it, not me! Laser-cut wood steps descend to tender's area and further down to the main deck. The bright orange dingy is a nice touch that helps to set the scale of the yacht itself. An articulated mast (used on full size yachts to launch and retrieve the dingy) is present on the model, although it does not traverse. I understand why the mass-production yacht does not include a functioning mast to launch the dingy, mostly because the hardware is too small to full automate the entire launch procedure, but I can imagine that an intrepid DIY modeler will find a way to make it work.

Note the removable wood deck floor at the stern, which gives access to the steering servo and rudder setup.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0252.jpg Views:	1 Size:	114.3 KB ID:	242425 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_52659.jpg Views:	4 Size:	87.5 KB ID:	242426

Twin 550 Brushed Motors provide the power for the Bancroft Grand Captain motor yacht. These drive three bladed screws (propellers) in a contra-rotating configuration. This arrangement allows the boat to accelerate in a straight line with little rudder input. Each screw is controlled by its own rudder, both of which are linked together to the waterproof steering servo mounted inside the hull. The extended keel increases stability and reduces risk of prop strikes, too!

Small details such as the molded "rub rail" that resists scuffing on your RC scale dock and the hawesholes near the stern really elevate the model in my eyes. Hawesholes are the holes at the corners of this yacht's stern through which hawers or tow rope would be passed, so they wouldn't marr the railing. On this model, the hawesholes aren't simply drilled through the hull but they are also painted and finished with a molded insert to provide the rounded, chamfered edge that a haweshole should have.

Finally, the transom is bare white, leaving the perfect spot for a modeler to paint his or her boat's name.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0254.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	242422

When the time comes to sail the boat, remove it from its included display stand and lift up the superstructure, which is molded as seen below in one piece. This design makes the Grand Captain very easy to work on and transport. Inside the large bay we find the pre-installed electronics. The aforementioned dual motors, steering servo, and linkages, and also the 2.4Ghz receiver and ESC with XT60 connector. Power on the radio, plug in the battery, and you're ready to sail! I strongly recommend plugging in the battery while at the water's edge and it also keep the radio far from any objects while placing the boat into the water. This will minimize the risk of something accidentally advancing the throttle stick and spinning the screws (propellers) while you're holding the boat. Always grip the hull away from the screws!

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0267.jpg Views:	1 Size:	87.3 KB ID:	242421
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Smooth Running!

Driving the Bancroft Grand Captain motor yacht is an easy affair. At first I wondered if the boat's shallow draft and high freeboard (the amount of hull above the waterline) would lead to an unstable ride, but I was wrong. The Grand Captain cruised effortlessly through the testing area with only a minor list during sharp maneuvers. Most often I kept the throttle below 50%. The hull cuts a satisfying wake during a fast turn below for a photo pass:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0337.jpg Views:	1 Size:	122.2 KB ID:	242433

The twin 550 motors are quiet, securely mounted, and capable of propelling the Grand Captain well beyond "scale" speeds. For an RC model, I think this power level is prudent, just in case your lake, pond, or marina get choppy on a blustery day. The Grand Captain is a deceptively "girthy" vessel, but its overall proportions still lend it to being maneuverable when its underway. When at a standstill, you won't have any steering authority due to the lack of a bow thruster, so plan your movements in advance. Looking at some of these photos, I'm also glad that the wood deck is real wood, because that opens up the possibility of using wood stain to color the wood to my liking.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0280.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	242430Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0279.jpg Views:	1 Size:	117.3 KB ID:	242431

All in all, the Bancroft Grand Captain is a "cruiser's cruiser". It checks many boxes for me, being very easy to operate as a daily driver, being a non-military vessel (I have many already), being a solid display model out-of-the-box, and having the good bones to support nearly endless customization potential. While the vessel arrives ready to run, I can see myself adding high visibility LED lighting to my taste, if only because I often end up boating on dreary days when it's either too cold or too windy to fly.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0256.jpg Views:	4 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	242429

For a laid back cruiser that helps you envision what your down-the-coast retirement on a boat might look like, I recommend considering the Bancroft Grand Captain motor yacht!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC_0281.jpg Views:	1 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	242432

Zzzzz..... someone is asleep at the wheel.....
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Smooth Sailing.JPG Views:	1 Size:	128.3 KB ID:	242434

Comment

Reserved for video

Comment

The scale fidelity of these Bancroft boats is pretty sensational. I am not a "boat guy" per se (outside of my 1/8 scale Unlimited Hydro) but these are pretty darn cool.
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

Email notification confirmed!

Comment

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing more out-of-the-ordinary civil boats.

Comment

Puh-leeease! The prototype (from the line of Grand Banks trawler yachts) is NOT a "Fishing Trawler"! It's called a "trawler yacht" because it has the deep and stable hull of a trawler... good for long distance and ocean cruising. It is a cabin cruiser, and the only likely fishing being done is with a pole over the transom...

Comment

The more I look at this model the more I like it. I centered all my attention on the warships at first but now I'm liking this model just as much plus its size (seems 1/24 scale maybe) makes it easier for "repairs", 2 brass props is all I would add. Very good looking model and nice size for easy moving.

Comment

OSMD This boat puts me at ease. As you mentioned brass props, I can bring in brass props to fit it. I'll add that to the list...

Comment

Great, I normally get all props from Harbor Models (Nick), usually Raboesch, which are reasonably affordable and nice quality, Harbors get them from Krick (Germany) which carry their entire line of props. I bought one of your helis last nite, Eurocopter, I won't fly it but use it to be on the stern deck of an oil rig supply vessel I have. Huge selection:
                    https://www.krickshop.de/Accessories...=catalog&p=186

Comment

While this one is not a Bancroft, I will tell you that I have a ton of fun with it and it is super relaxing to just chart a course and drift away. I will also say that if you want a laugh, at least this one, with a pair of brushless motors, will plane, if you push it hard enough. 8-)

The Grand Banks is such a wonderful, classic design. Glad to see Motion carry it, and I can't wait to get some of these new model ships!
                      Jeff Mitchel Press

Portland, Oregon

Click image for larger version

Name:	33899685_10216906108223782_8236074014599020544_o.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	244954

Comment

I keep harping about wanting kits instead of RTR... but then, my GB46 Amati kit still sits on the shelf half built, and the RTRs are out sailing... 😆

Name:	gb20190712_160637.jpg
Views:	1142
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	245483

Comment

Finish that beauty, Pat! Or better yet, that paddle wheel!

Comment

Paddler- it's actually a prop boat, Dumas City of Buffalo, and it swims already!

Name:	a8132464-214-aDSC_0024.jpg
Views:	1357
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	245584

Comment

What’s the easiest way to grease the shafts on the Bancraft Grand Captain ? Can you just remove the props then pull the shafts out ? I hear the newer one doesn’t have grease fittings.

Comment

Is er al iemand die zijn St-Tropez gedeeltelijk geschilderd heeft zoals zonnedek voor en achter en misschien ook het open canvas dak?

Comment

Working...
                                X